Biggest Letdown in Cyclone History?

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
It was a big one .... but not the biggest. After the first half they looked okay... lucky but okay. The second half was a complete disaster. Our receivers either can’t catch, are missed by the QB or can’t get open. Other than the one long pass and the last drive where they were mentally beat down I would say that the D played a good game.... clearly good enough to beat a Sunbelt team. The O is a mess.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Can one of the mods tell me why the 1/4 page "info links" screen pops up EVERY 10 sec, stays there until you click on it, in addition to the rolling bottom advertisement, the rolling top ad, and the fixed 1/3 page ad on the right.

img

Tossed Floral Brushed Leggings in Black size Small by Northstyle

Fun to wear, in a brushed knit with a super soft texture Seamless design with elastic waistband 88% polyester/ 12% elastane Machine wash...

northstyle.com​

img

Fun to wear, in a brushed knit with a super soft texture Seamless design with elastic waistband 88% polyester/ 12% elastane Machine wash...

northstyle.com​

Not even close. We've been terrible the first game of the year since I can remember. Ultimately, the way the game went I don't see much that can't be fixed. So I'm not ready to throw the season away yet. There's been plenty of openers that I left feeling like it's going to be a long year.
IF there
on the right.

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL
Campbell hasn’t been able to address the two biggest issues with Iowa State football... bad line play (on both sides) and poor tackling. It’s really that simple. The recruiting for offensive and defensive lineman has not improved and the development hasn’t either.

The line play is understandable. The DL has come a long way but the position is every team's 2nd priority after QB on the recruiting trail, it seems. The special teams problems are inexcusable though. Any **** team can (and often does) have good special teams. It's not brain surgery.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Can one of the mods tell me why the 1/4 page "info links" screen pops up EVERY 10 sec, stays there until you click on it, in addition to the rolling bottom advertisement, the rolling top ad, and the fixed 1/3 page ad on the right.
img

northstyle.com

IF there
on the right.
Just make the purchase. 88 poly 12 elastane is gonna be hella comfy bro

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzo

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Defense is fine but offensively there is a huge talent gap now...very very slow and not uniquely skilled on offense anymore

They were OK but still gave up big plays and that last drive was rinse and repeat from last season. Maybe even worse with being pushed around.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
ISU is ALWAYS on the wrong end of the headlines.

Louisiana, which picked up its first win over a Power 5 opponent since it beat Kansas State 17-15 back on Sept. 12, 2009. This was also its first win over a ranked opponent since it beat Texas A&M in 1996. Louisiana had never beat a ranked opponent on the road.

• Wow
Reactions: simply1

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Best quarterback in school history, best coach in school history, “talented” o-line, “best team in school history” proceeds to lay an absolute egg. I should have seen it coming

The O line is terrible. We thought it was bad after UNI last year, but it wasn’t that bad. This O line is one of the worst I’ve ever seen

• Informative
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
The O line is terrible. We thought it was bad after UNI last year, but it wasn’t that bad. This O line is one of the worst I’ve ever seen

You mean the position group that has a former average college player in the MAC and grad assistant promoted to P5 position coach running the room?

• Informative
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I’ll admit I’m definitely a lot younger than most on the board, but this is really the first time in my life I thought Cyclone football might be poised to actually make some noise and compete for a Big 12 title

The problem is, you bought into the hype, never buy into it. ISU is ISU, and they will always be.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Just off the top of my head:
MBB vs. H*mpton
MBB vs. UAB
FB vs. Oklahoma 2002
FB vs. Mizzou 2005
FB vs. Mizzou 2004
I saw ISU lose to UNI not once, but twice - both by double digits in the early 90s. Today stunk, but LA is good, and ISU is good too. Sometimes, the other team is just better and wins.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
That second half definitely ranks up there as a huge letdown and disappointment. I thought we were fortunate to have a lead, and we started with the ball. God awful half of football.

• Agree
Reactions: ESciGuy

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
It was a big one .... but not the biggest. After the first half they looked okay... lucky but okay. The second half was a complete disaster. Our receivers either can’t catch, are missed by the QB or can’t get open. Other than the one long pass and the last drive where they were mentally beat down I would say that the D played a good game.... clearly good enough to beat a Sunbelt team. The O is a mess.

Not quite understanding our route concepts/route trees. Easy throws seem to be very few and far between. Each completion seems to be a monumental struggle (save for how we utilized Milton a few times early today). Never appeared to be in a good rhythm.

Purdy does miss open receivers as he tends to stare down one WR/TE on pass plays, but there’s got to be a way to give Purdy some easy completions. Unsure why we went away from those short, quick, simple throws that had relative success in the first half.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not quite understanding our route concepts/route trees. Easy throws seem to be very few and far between. Each completion seems to be a monumental struggle (save for how we utilized Milton a few times early today). Never appeared to be in a good rhythm.

Purdy does miss open receivers as he tends to stare down one WR/TE on pass plays, but there’s got to be a way to give Purdy some easy completions. Unsure why we went away from those short, quick, simple throws that had relative success in the first half.

That's been a staple offensively with this staff. If something's working and going well, they go away from it when it's needed. There seems to be some ability to get down field after the catch from the receivers...that should be utilized.

Funny thing today was on short/inches situations they actually did what I've been waiting for in just getting up there, running it and taking care of the situation.

Reactions: Billups06

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron