BIG ROB ENERGY Robert Jones

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Would it be dumb for the hardest worker in practice that week to be named the Big Energy player of the week and get that intro every time they come into the game. It might be kinda fun if the fans knew it a thing

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah asking Iowans to have an open mind and live a little is asking a lot.

What part of “if that’s what the team wants, that’s fine” don’t you understand?

I’m just saying I think it’s stupid and it won’t catch on in Hilton. It went over like a ton of bricks in my section which is a very vocal section. It’s not like Hilton crowds don’t cheer like hell for energy guys. We don’t need the PA announcer saying it to get us excited.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Reminded me of something Robert Griffin III would say during a football broadcast. In general, if RGIII would say it, it's best to not say it. But if it lights a fire under Bob when he comes in, and TJ and the team want it, then go for it

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This has a Jeff Johnson "Cyclone Power" chant feel to it. I feel like you can't force this kind of stuff, it just has to happen naturally. Like, say, Juicy Wiggle.

For the record, love me some Bob Jones.

Reactions: madguy30

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The PA announcer just needs to explain it to remove confusion for the older people at Hilton.

"Robers Jones checking in. Robert is a large man, and it is safe to assume he has a rather large penis. Tonight, he will be using that energy from his huge penis to help the team win. Lets cheer for Robert and his mighty penis."

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I guess I'm minority here, but I like this. Rob ain't stupid. He likely thought that he wasn't going to play a ton unless he absolutely worked his ass off in the offseason. He did just that. This gives him something special to remind him that he's an important member of the team and not just out there to play himself out of minutes.

The upside to doing is this that maybe it reminds him of his role and why he's important to the team. The downside is that it sounds a little funny. One side massively outweighs the other here. TJ is very obviously having the PA guy, Walters, and Heft push it for a reason.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
This has a Jeff Johnson "Cyclone Power" chant feel to it. I feel like you can't force this kind of stuff, it just has to happen naturally. Like, say, Juicy Wiggle.

Love Bob, too.

I don't like it if only one guy gets it (and I can't recall a PA ever doing that for a singular player?). Also seems cheesy if that is the same as a shirt for sale, etc.

I remember the mid 2000s when the "cyclone power" thing was started...didn't love it as it felt forced....but it was a blah time and now I do love how it sounds on TV and a good impromptu "let's go" for the crowd.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The PA announcer just needs to explain it to remove confusion for the older people at Hilton.

"Robers Jones checking in. Robert is a large man, and it is safe to assume he has a rather large penis. Tonight, he will be using that energy from his huge penis to help the team win. Lets cheer for Robert and his mighty penis."

I am so disappointed in my inability to find a clip of Phil Hartman as Bill McNeal reading almost this exact thing.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Jeff Johnson great contribution was when he had us trash talk ourselves with, whatcha gonna do, ISU?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Where you bobbing forward, sideways , backwards etc like you were having a seizure
There were so many stupid things we did during those years. I mean it was embarrassing. My favorite was the song choice during every pre-game of “Moves Her Body Like a Cyclone”

I mean good God whoever was in charge of the music then. Probably a 50+ year old who wanted to be “lit” or “dope”, or whatever the word of choice was back then, thinking, “Damn this song was absolutely made for our teams! It has the word “Cyclones” in it! Pump it up!”