big huge elephant

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It just sucks the scrub cult hero former walk on running back lost the team the game. But he gets way too many carries and it lost the team the chance to get to 8 wins and a good bowl.

White shouldn't lose carries to Woody but he does, I understand the kid has done plenty of nice things in his time but he isn't the type of player you take out big time programs with.

If Woody walked on at WVA would he get a single meaningful carry his entire career?
The fumble sucked, but you are getting carried away. Check how many carries Woody has his year. Not more than a fullback/specialty role that a majority of teams employ. And yes, Woody would have gotten a lot of carries for WVU this year while lined up with Austin, similar to what Alston did tonight.
How we use Woody is sometimes disappointing in that we often do little to keep teams honest when he gets carries.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
You guys who think Woody isn't a "real" back or doesn't deserve the carries he gets need to go back and watch last week's game against KU.

He might not be Tavon Austin in the open field, but he is a very solid North/South back and yes, he would see plenty of playing time if on WVU's team.....he and Alston are nearly identical backs and look how much Alston was used tonight.

The bigger concern, imo, is the poor offensive line play this year, who have not given any back much to work with this year!

I feel bad for the kid but the mistake of treating White like the 3rd best back on the roster when he is easily the best bit the team in the *** plain and simple. Fact is Woody has been rewarded with the touches every running back dreams of (this really shouldn't be debatable.) In my opinion its been to the detriment of the real running backs on the team. Not to mentionhe ball was on the 10 not the 2 yard line giving him that carry was stupid and the team was down 7 not 3. And it sucks he fumbled he's done plenty of good things but White is a much better football player regardless of that 1 play and should have been in instead.

It was a horrible play that lost the game, games are won and lost on certain plays if we scored a TD and Arceo missed the XP he'd have to take the blame wouldn't he?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Before the injuries we may have been a great defense. Now we are not. Talk about averages all you want, other teams did manage to shut WVU down. We did not.
Texas Tech and Kansas State. Thats not very many teams have shut them down.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
People critical of the defense, you realize if we played in the Big 10, our defense would look like rockstars right now. This league is just too offensively explosive.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I'm really not adding of value to this discussion but pointing out again we held WV well below their season avg. with a patchwork defense missing Knott, Watson and Givens. So I give the OP a big

ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME?

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Before the injuries we may have been a great defense. Now we are not. Talk about averages all you want, other teams did manage to shut WVU down. We did not.

I'd say other teams out ran WVU rather than shut them down. It would be interesting to see what the scoring differential between each team's average scoring (excluding WVU) and their score against WVU.

I'm not ragging on the offense, especially any specific players. I think we have continued to improve year-over-year. I had worried that we might have looked like we took a step back this year because our conference got stronger but we didn't. This team has been getting stronger year-over-year. They know it and I see it. Only losers focus on the pain instead of the gain. This team doesn't have losers.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Burhams defenses has been horrible. Everyone is talking messingham. Hell his offense did enough to get 31 poimts if it were not for woodys fumble. Burgams defenses have been giving up huge yards and huge points. I like wally but quit blaming messingham. He uas got better as the years uas gone on.

You are clueless. Our defense has held almost, if not every team, under their season scoring average. We just held WVU 10 pts below their scoring avg and below their yardage average without three defensive starters, and you think the D played horrible?

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Texas Tech and Kansas State. Thats not very many teams have shut them down.

Yeah, that's poor just research by alarson. WV had 2 bad games. ISU held them to their next lowest output in points scored. 8 games they were better than what they did against ISU, 2 they were worse. Can't ask for much more.

Well, I guess you can ask for more, but you won't really be taken as being reasonable.

Texas and Oklahoma were also bigger fails defensively against WVU than ISU.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
fry2.jpg

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I feel bad for the kid but the mistake of treating White like the 3rd best back on the roster when he is easily the best bit the team in the *** plain and simple. Fact is Woody has been rewarded with the touches every running back dreams of (this really shouldn't be debatable.) In my opinion its been to the detriment of the real running backs on the team. Not to mentionhe ball was on the 10 not the 2 yard line giving him that carry was stupid and the team was down 7 not 3. And it sucks he fumbled he's done plenty of good things but White is a much better football player regardless of that 1 play and should have been in instead.

It was a horrible play that lost the game, games are won and lost on certain plays if we scored a TD and Arceo missed the XP he'd have to take the blame wouldn't he?

Did you see the run he had earlier in the drive running people over. On first down with their defense on the ropes after 2 penalties it was a good call. Some people are so ******* stupid on this board.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Burhams defenses has been horrible. Everyone is talking messingham. Hell his offense did enough to get 31 poimts if it were not for woodys fumble. Burgams defenses have been giving up huge yards and huge points. I like wally but quit blaming messingham. He uas got better as the years uas gone on.

[video=youtube;feB7Oc8rw1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feB7Oc8rw1o[/video]

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
ISU had the 3rd best defensive peformance (points scored) against WVU of the year.

ISU had the 3rd worst offensive performance (points scored, and 2nd worst if you throw out James Madison) against WVU of the year.

Also fewest points scored by a Big 12 team against WVU.

Could the defense have been better? Yes. Was the performance enough for a win? Yes.

ISU is hurt much more by lack of a consistent and efficient offense than by anything the defense does or doesn't do.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
While I think the OP is nuts I also do think our defense isn't quite as good as the average ISU fan thinks. If you look at Big 12 games only (makes the analysis against the same competition) based on average yards only Baylor has given up more yards per game.

We do much better based on points though and have the 5th best defense in regards to points allowed. Wally's defense always seem to have a bend but not break type of performance and tighten up significantly in the red zone as well as being pretty opportunistic with turnovers.

Also when you look at stats only one thing that isn't considered is our offense. First of all we are the only defense that doesn't get to play against our offense. The last couple of games have looked good, but a few weeks ago our defense would have destroyed our offense. Second our defense spent a ton of time on the field due to our offense. Most of the other Big 12 defenses had the advantage of having a solid offense to give them rest.

Regardless I do believe Wally gets more out of his defense than any coordinator in the Big 12 and questioning him is pretty silly.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Wally does a great job with limited talent on defense.

Yep. And, Mess does a good job with limited talent on offense: inconsistent QB play all fall, wr with the dropsies, OLine that's not yet good enough in the rush game.

Name of the game is talent. Rhoads and staff is 24-26 after four years, with one game to go. Nearly .500 against the people we've played? Wow. Seems like we won't take the next step until we solve the OL and DL problems. And, that'll take time. How much time? As much as it takes.

Coaching isn't lacking, imho. Athleticism needs to improve. As long as we've got momentum, it'll gradually improve, won't it? 2012 another 6-6 season? Some will argue we've lost momentum. Doesn't seem like it to me. If this is Rhoads' best team so far, despite the record, one can argue we're slowly climbing. Of course, some fans will argue we're stalled.

Can't prove it, but to me it seems our young classes have more athleticism than we've had in recent years. But, we won't know, of course, until they hit the field. We'll see.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Yeah this is a dumb thread. How many top 25 defenses does the Big 12 have? How many top 25 offenses? Kansas State and Oklahoma I believe are the only two school in the conference with a top defense. Yet, WVU, Baylor, Tech, Oklahoma and OSU all have top offenses.

Mess has looked better as the year wore on and actually we have done better as a whole offense this season over previous seasons. Still crowning Mess better than Wally is stupid. If we had any number of coordinators from our Big 12 competition instead of Wally, I'm sure we would not have been to a single bowl game under Rhoads.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron