Big Georges

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
So what's going to happen to Big Georges? I've seen him once or twice during games this year and I've always loved it. One of the better student section bits in the country. But obviously it'd be much less relevant now that Niang is done at Hilton.

There needs to be some way for CA to commemorate it. Be a shame for it to just collect dust in somebody's garage, or worse, just tossed in a dumpster.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
According to CW, the students who are currently in possession of it wanted to give it to Niang to keep, but the NCAA wouldn't allow it thanks to compliance issues.How dumb is the NCAA? I’m told that group of students wanted to give Big Georges (the sign) to Niang after tonight. Can’t. Compliance no-no.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Just hang it in the rafters as his banner's place holder until we put the real thing up there.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
According to CW, the students who are currently in possession of it wanted to give it to Niang to keep, but the NCAA wouldn't allow it thanks to compliance issues.How dumb is the NCAA? I’m told that group of students wanted to give Big Georges (the sign) to Niang after tonight. Can’t. Compliance no-no.

So wait until he officially leaves the program. The NCAA has no authority at that point.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia

So they'll just wait till the season/semester is over?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm assuming it will be fine once the season is over and Niang has graduated.
Although, I could easily see the NCAA stripping our 2016 National Title away because of it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Or give it to the Alumni Center. Put it next to the original Cy.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So wait until he officially leaves the program. The NCAA has no authority at that point.

So they'll just wait till the season/semester is over?

I'm assuming it will be fine once the season is over and Niang has graduated.
Although, I could easily see the NCAA stripping our 2016 National Title away because of it.

Actually this would not be okay. Kansas for years used to have boosters giving graduating senior basketball players envelopes of money at their senior basketball banquet to congratulate them for graduating. It went on for years before the NCAA figured out that this was an impermissible benefit even if just delayed.

Tuco in five, four, three...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The original Jack Trice letter is in Special Collections on the fourth floor of the library. Georges has been known to study there. However, if Georges can't have it, it needs to be somewhere in Hilton.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Put it up on the wall behind the student section, Georges told me tonight he was never leaving.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Let's all chip in and buy Big Georges a ticket to Saturday's game in Lawrence. He may need 2 seats but he should be there.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Need to wait until the season is over. Would it be a compliance issue then?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kxno had incredibly sad story about the background of the student who created it. Sounds like it will be displayed at wallabys permanently.

Reactions: Cardinal2001

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
Just heard on local Des Moines radio that Big Georges may have found a home in the stairwell of Walleby's restaurant in Ames.

Reactions: Cardinal2001

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Could it be donated to the university and then the university can give it to Georges? Wallabys would be cool too.