SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yesufu over Hunter on a fast break.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Note for TJ: KU is destroying Texas with passes to players going baseline to the basket.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
With the Big 12 Men's Basketball tournament just a month and 2 days away, I have never seen the Big 12 so open. I mean on any given night Iowa State could win it, Texas, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and even TCU could win it. There's a chance Iowa State could be beaten the first round and still be a high seed in the NCAA Tournament. So my question is this: Is it better to win it all and then be gassed for the NCAA tournament, or bow outsearly and get rested and healed up before the BIG tourney?
If we're going to get beat in the Big12 tourney, I'd prefer it be in the semi-final round than the championship game. You'll get a win in the quarterfinal so any seeding in the NCAA brackets probably won't be affected by that point...And losing in the semifinal would give the team much needed rest before the tournament. Especially if it's a Thursday game.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Even tho I just watched KU take down Texas, I still believe Texas is the most talented team in the conference. I still think they win the big12. When they get it in the paint they are strong and athletic as heck. I didn't realize (besides Carr and Rice of course) how many seniors they have on that team. Will be interesting if the coach gets to keep the job after this season. But he certainly has a lot to work with now.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If we're going to get beat in the Big12 tourney, I'd prefer it be in the semi-final round than the championship game. You'll get a win in the quarterfinal so any seeding in the NCAA brackets probably won't be affected by that point...And losing in the semifinal would give the team much needed rest before the tournament. Especially if it's a Thursday game.
Why did the announcer say how tough it would be for any big12 team to win four in a row? Don't the 'bye' teams only have to play 3?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This certainly feels like a team that wins it. Will we? No clue
we work to hard on defense to go three days in a row, of course I hope I am proven wrong. We looked tired against UConn playing 3 games in 4 days, one was an overtire game.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Why did the announcer say how tough it would be for any big12 team to win four in a row? Don't the 'bye' teams only have to play 3?
Yes. Not sure how next year will work with the 4 new teams and the 2 unwelcomed stooges that won't leave though.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Yes. Not sure how next year will work with the 4 new teams and the 2 unwelcomed stooges that won't leave though.

In all likelihood it'll look like the old 12-team format, with an extra day at the start for teams 11-14.

Tuesday
12 vs 13
11 vs 14

Wednesday
5 vs 12/13
8 vs 9
7 vs 10
6 vs 11/14

Thursday - Quarters
4 vs 5/12/13
1 vs 8/9
2 vs 7/10
3 vs 6/11/14

Friday - Semis

Saturday - Championship

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Even tho I just watched KU take down Texas, I still believe Texas is the most talented team in the conference. I still think they win the big12. When they get it in the paint they are strong and athletic as heck. I didn't realize (besides Carr and Rice of course) how many seniors they have on that team. Will be interesting if the coach gets to keep the job after this season. But he certainly has a lot to work with now.
Agree on talent, but they have serious weaknesses. Just have to dominate their guards and keep the bigs' touches to a minimum. Carr, Hunter, and Rice are all good, but they can be had. Win on the perimeter more than you lose inside.

Also, they lack floor leadership. Timmy Allen is probably the best leader on the floor, but he doesn't have the ball in his hands most of the time. Carr and Hunter have the ball 98% of the time, but neither has good leadership presence. Rice is probably their best guard in that respect, and he doesn't start. This plus coaching is gonna trip them up in the tournament.

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Agree on talent, but they have serious weaknesses. Just have to dominate their guards and keep the bigs' touches to a minimum. Carr, Hunter, and Rice are all good, but they can be had. Win on the perimeter more than you lose inside.

Also, they lack floor leadership. Timmy Allen is probably the best leader on the floor, but he doesn't have the ball in his hands most of the time. Carr and Hunter have the ball 98% of the time, but neither has good leadership presence. Rice is probably their best guard in that respect, and he doesn't start. This plus coaching is gonna trip them up in the tournament.
Admittedly I have only watched one Tex@$$ game this year (against ISU) so I cannot attest to Hunter's leadership there. However last year I felt he had good leadership. I remember early in the season someone was having an off night and missing everything they threw up then made some bone headed turn over and you could see them kind of lackadaisical run down the court with their head hanging. Camera pans to Hunter looking at his team mate and he raises his head and taps the bottom of his chin motioning keep your head up. I thought right then this freshman is a leader and I'm excited to see him excell here. Obviously that didn't all pan out but I still believe he can be a great team leader.

CYSMATTERS

Nov 19, 2006
Omaha
Need a little guidance here. Planning on taking the fam to our first Big 12 tourney this year. Ticket question. When you buy an All session ticket, are you able to sell the sessions you don't want to go to?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
With the Big 12 Men's Basketball tournament just a month and 2 days away, I have never seen the Big 12 so open. I mean on any given night Iowa State could win it, Texas, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and even TCU could win it. There's a chance Iowa State could be beaten the first round and still be a high seed in the NCAA Tournament. So my question is this: Is it better to win it all and then be gassed for the NCAA tournament, or bow out early and get rested and healed up before the BIG tourney?
I would LOVE to win the regular season title....be ok getting bounced in Big 12 tourney, then go further in NCAA. Putting together a winning streak is TOUGH...so that's par of my reasoning....and would love a reg season title.

I do thing from a pure fan perspective, I can't think of a more exciting conference tourney in terms.of likely good games all weekend.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Need a little guidance here. Planning on taking the fam to our first Big 12 tourney this year. Ticket question. When you buy an All session ticket, are you able to sell the sessions you don't want to go to?
short answer is yes, you are able to sell them. Wednesday night games sell very cheap. The remainder sessions will depend on whether KU, KSU, or ISU are included. If you sell outside the stadium to scalpers directly after the games end, they will low ball you. If KU, ISU, KSU all lose, even the scalpers leave.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Going to be the best tourney to date. I don't think playing extra games in the conference tournament does anything to tire the players for the NCAA's. Too many days between Winning makes for a better resume and seeding so I definitely want to win. I honestly couldn't pick a favorite right now and wouldn't rule anyone out. I like our chances, but the way we play D I hope we get a bye. Think tired legs is what bit us against UConn.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you just want to watch a bunch of competitive BB games the B12 tourney will be great for that.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
What does everyone do while in KC? I just reserved a bar table in the P&L for Thursday. We did it last year and well worth it sort of having a 'home base' for our big group. Will be at Kelly's Wednesday night (unless for some reason we are playing then probably go to the game).