Big 12 Tournament: Anyone Could Win

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
What does everyone do while in KC? I just reserved a bar table in the P&L for Thursday. We did it last year and well worth it sort of having a 'home base' for our big group. Will be at Kelly's Wednesday night (unless for some reason we are playing then probably go to the game).
We used to hit the tourist attractions, World War I museum, Negro leagues baseball hall of fame, etc. Now we stay in P&L and watch both the gals and guys.

• Friendly
Reactions: dahliaclone

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
What does everyone do while in KC? I just reserved a bar table in the P&L for Thursday. We did it last year and well worth it sort of having a 'home base' for our big group. Will be at Kelly's Wednesday night (unless for some reason we are playing then probably go to the game).
Which bar did you reserve the bar tables in P&L? I didn’t know that was available. Of course, we plan our whole weekend around viewing 9-12 games.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
In all likelihood it'll look like the old 12-team format, with an extra day at the start for teams 11-14.

Tuesday
12 vs 13
11 vs 14

Wednesday
5 vs 12/13
8 vs 9
7 vs 10
6 vs 11/14

Thursday - Quarters
4 vs 5/12/13
1 vs 8/9
2 vs 7/10
3 vs 6/11/14

Friday - Semis

Saturday - Championship

I hate the idea of a double bye. Since it's just one year, I wonder if you could do some games at Municipal Auditorium to get 6 games in the one day. That's keep the tournament to 3 days and only the top 2 teams get a bye.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Which bar did you reserve the bar tables in P&L? I didn’t know that was available. Of course, we plan our whole weekend around viewing 9-12 games.
Shark Bar which has the big deck up stairs to the left in the P&L when you're looking at the big tv screen...by that long staircase. Drink minimum is required but when you split the cost with 10+ people and you get a couple of bottles of booze with your reservation it's worth it.

Reactions: fcclone

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Shark Bar which has the big deck up stairs to the left in the P&L when you're looking at the big tv screen...by that long staircase. Drink minimum is required but when you split the cost with 10+ people and you get a couple of bottles of booze with your reservation it's worth it.
nice!

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
That’s true. Texas Tech is making one hell of a comeback. I’d hate to draw them in Kansas City!

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think there are 4 teams that can win the tournament. KU, Texas, TCU or Baylor.
I think you have to add Kansas State to that list. Honestly, the only two teams that would shock me if they won would be Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Iowa State, West Virginia and Texas Tech all could make a run depending on the matchups to the finals but tough to win three (or four) high level games for those three squads.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think you have to add Kansas State to that list. Honestly, the only two teams that would shock me if they won would be Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Iowa State, West Virginia and Texas Tech all could make a run depending on the matchups to the finals but tough to win three (or four) high level games for those three squads.
Man, I don’t feel like ISU, WVU or Tech have much chance at all to reach the finals.

All 3 teams are too dependent on getting hot for a game and mucking it up, which I suppose could happen but the consistency of the top 5 is significantly better.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
OU is not good enough to make a run, they lack talent. I don't believe oSu is coached well enough. Everyone else has a shot. The TCU narrative is strong, but then there's Ku. Texas is missing something, maybe Beard.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
It looks like if we somehow get the 6 seed our opponent is likely Baylor. No thanks.

If we are the 7 seed it's against OU then against KSU. Is it strange to almost like that route better?

Winning one regardless is gonna be a challenge. And I know playing Wednesday sucks. But I personally want one more win before the NCAAs and that may be as the 7 seed as ****** as that is.

EDIT: If the following results happen tomorrow, we are the 6 seed and KSU is the 3. I'd want that for sure.

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 4.08.11 PM.png

Reactions: I@ST1