Big 12 POY

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
33% of voters will go for the best player on the best team.
Kane, Ejim, and Wiggins will split the rest.
64% Wiggins
22% Kane
22% Ejim

These starts are all made up by me.

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
My lasting memory from the game in Lawrence was how Wiggins scorched us when we left him open from downtown.

Ejim's numbers are the best, and it's hard to argue that. However, watching the guys play I would say Kane is the best player in the conference. It's only his free throw shooting that needs a little work, but he does everything else really well.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
When is the vote? If Ejim goes on a tear in the last season game and during the Big 12 tourney, he could rally some votes for himself, particularly if Wiggins doesn't do so well. And let's throw in a few game-winning shots by Ejim for good measure.

Announcement is typically the day after the end of the regular season.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I agree tired of the hype - Wiggins will be fortunate to win Freshmen of the Year - check out KSU Freshmen Marcus Foster production in conference play.

Foster
PPG 15.8 #11
FG% 43.1 #10
RPG 3.3 ---
APG 3.12 #11
SPG .60
A/TO 1.20 #11
*29.2 minutes per game

Wiggins
PPG 16.2 #9
FG% 43.3 #9
RPG 6.1 #16
APG 1.6 (30's)
SPG 1.06 #13
A/TO .76 ----
*32.3 minutes played per game.

Shouldn't Foster have big stats since he plays on a team with zero other good players? Same with the ISU pair, they have three guys that do virtually all of their scoring in large part because they have no one on the bench to pitch in. The reliance on pure numbers will always make the guy on the most balanced team look like the worst choice.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I would be disappointed if Hoiberg doesn't campaign for Ejim. Seems like it has already started with Dickie V last night and Fran F today. Dickie V said he had talked to Hoiberg yesterday.

Vote early . . . and often.

Will Hoiberg pi$$ off Kane if he is stumping for Ejim?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Will Hoiberg pi$$ off Kane if he is stumping for Ejim?

It's like you insert yourself into the posts where you can be most annoying. I can't speak for anybody else, but you don't exactly make me want to hate Kansas any less.

IF Hoiberg is stumping for Ejim, I am sure he is not telling Kane that. Plus Kane has made it pretty clear that he came here hoping to win. And that's what he's done.

I think the goal of all god-fearing Big 12 fans, other than Kansas fans, is to make sure that players don't split the vote giving the Player of the Year to Wiggins, who is a very good player but does not deserve player of the year in the conference.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
It's like you insert yourself into the posts where you can be most annoying. I can't speak for anybody else, but you don't exactly make me want to hate Kansas any less.

IF Hoiberg is stumping for Ejim, I am sure he is not telling Kane that. Plus Kane has made it pretty clear that he came here hoping to win. And that's what he's done.

I think the goal of all god-fearing Big 12 fans, other than Kansas fans, is to make sure that players don't split the vote giving the Player of the Year to Wiggins, who is a very good player but does not deserve player of the year in the conference.

That wasn't intended to be annoying; it's a serious question. I have seen almost as many ISU fans voting for Kane as I have for Ejim, so it seems like Kane would have just as much right to have his coach stumping for him as Ejim does. If that is as it seems then I would think Hoiberg might hesitate to back one of his players publicly for fear of angering one of his other players.

ISU fans don't think that's something that Hoiberg would have to consider? It's not a diss on Hoiberg or ISU; I'd be THRILLED if Kansas had that potential "problem."

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Close race heading into the final game, but I think it comes down to 3 guys: Ejim, Kane, & Wiggins.

I've been listening to & reading lots of experts/radio guys/writers opinions this week, and I've heard all 3 names as favorites. I guess the most popular, and my pick if I had to choose now, would be Ejim.

But I do believe Saturday's games will have a big impact. If Ejim has another off night and Kane lights it up against Smart, the pre season POY, then I believe Kane becomes the leader. Also if Wiggins comes out and dominates his game, like everyone has been waiting for him to do, then that'll be the lasting memory for the media, and they'll vote him.

If each has their avg games, then I also worry that Ejim & Kane will steal votes from each other, and Wiggins will narrowly win it.

There are also some media guys that think the POY should go to the best player on the best team(KU). Although I'm not even sure if that is Wiggins, he'll get that vote nonetheless.

Thoughts? Other scenarios?b

Ejim. He spent four years in the league. He also won the rebounding last year. He needs to finish strong tomorrow.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
People should prepare themselves now for Wiggins to win. It is going to happen and if you accept it now there will be less meltdown later.
Also if a clone does win, it will be that much better.
Frankly, one and done winners do not trip my fancy for POY. Ejim.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think Ejim wins it. I didn't read all the posts but when do they announce, Monday?

The official one (i.e. the one they announce on the Big 12 website) is announced Sunday, I think. The AP one is later.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
If I had a vote, I would vote Embiid. I think he has affects the game the most, but as others have said, he has been injured too much

niangstermvp

Mar 1, 2014
Shouldn't Foster have big stats since he plays on a team with zero other good players? Same with the ISU pair, they have three guys that do virtually all of their scoring in large part because they have no one on the bench to pitch in. The reliance on pure numbers will always make the guy on the most balanced team look like the worst choice.
So Lebron James averages 27.2 PPG, 57.7% FG, 6.9 RPG, 6.4 APG because he's on a team with "zero good players"? Chris Bosh (all-star), Dwayne Wade (all-star), Mario Chalmers, Shane Battier, and Ray Allen don't "pitch in"? Few would argue Lebron James is the "worst choice" for MVP.