Big 12 Expansion - Looking at Numbers

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
You make good points, but I didn’t rely very heavily on market rankings. As I said, you have to take them with a giant grain of salt. If they were the be-all, end-all then Army and Temple would be two of the most followed teams in the country and TCU and Baylor would be the most popular teams in the Big 12. Neither of those are true, as the attendance numbers show. Also, schools like West Virginia and Oklahoma State are on the fringe of their TV markets and aren’t the most popular teams in those markets.

I mainly included TV market data to give an idea of the conference’s footprint and eliminate a couple of the candidates in tiny markets.
Points well taken. My point is 'market footprint' is no longer consolidated around metropolitan boundaries, but is now a world-wide market of branding.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The more I think about this whole thing, the more I think the remaining Big 12 members need to be working diligently with the PAC to form some kind of super conference.

I don't know if ISU can wait around to see if a B1G invite ever comes?

How about four, 5 team pods......

Northwest Division- Washington, WSU, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford

Pacific Division- USC, UCLA, California, AZ, ASU

Mountain Midwest Division- ISU, Colorado, Utah, KU, KSU

South Division- Okie St, TT, Baylor, TCU, WV?? (I'd let them go to the ACC, and put Houston here instead if possible?)

If the Pac12 and Big12 remnants come together, I think only KU, ISU, Okie State and maybe K-State or TT are considered

If Pac12 would take Baylor or TCU, then they would have to strongly consider BYU.

Also I see no way Houston is a fit for Pac12. IMO they would consider SDSU and UNLV first.

Jeh

Dec 16, 2013
Here's one possibility for the future: The Supreme Court decision will eventually lead to some schools paying student-athletes a part-time stipend equal to what teaching assistants get, which would cost each school that does so around $10-$15 million. (I'm assuming women's golf is going to be paid the same as football.) The NCAA will then reorganize its divisions into D1 (scholarship+stipend), D2 (scholarship only), D3 (non-scholarship). The question then will not be whether ISU remains in a P5-conference or not, but whether it remains in D1 or not. There won't be a clear prestige division within the new D1 as there is now between P5/G5. I think that's why Texas & OU jumped in the first place: To pay these stipends in the future without disrupting their existing budget.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the Pac12 and Big12 remnants come together, I think only KU, ISU, Okie State and maybe K-State or TT are considered

If Pac12 would take Baylor or TCU, then they would have to strongly consider BYU.

Also I see no way Houston is a fit for Pac12. IMO they would consider SDSU and UNLV first.
The PAC12 does have certain academic requirements, they aren’t as strict as AAU status but are a notch below. TCU meets that but Baylor doesn’t. TCU, while religious, has an imagine of not being as strict in its regards as Baylor. TCU was getting discussed when UT was looking last time so it not an absolute no.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Attendance matters to an extent, but there is more. If school "A" has the same attendance as school "B", but is able to command $150 more per season ticket than school "A", School "B" has more demand, even if attendance is lower. And since much of the seating at higher level programs also has donor requirements, that revenue should be factored in as well.

As for the argument about "spraying" content inefficiently via networks versus streaming, there are two sides to that coin as well as other considerations. First, they do have the means to effectively measure antenna/cable/satellite viewership. Is it 100% accurate? No, but it's more than close enough to accurately measure. In your observational example of SF, there may be 10 such bars in the area that do that for our fans. You're still only talking about 50-100 people. It doesn't move the needle. And there are probably similar fan enclaves for 30 other schools with passionate fan bases as well. But it does show the role that we as fans can play in building our brand. It was our fanbase that landed Matt Campbell.

Two, in regards to the value of advertising, digital advertising actually hurts networks and TV contracts. Why? Because it's those inefficiencies in the system that put money in networks' pockets. The ability to microtarget offers a tremendous value to an advertiser, and one for which they will pay a LOT more to reach their market on a per person basis, but the flip side to that is they can target far fewer people and spend less money. That's where the networks lose.

Three, I think we are all underestimating ESPN's ability to understand fanbases and how that turns into eyeballs. I'm sure over the past few years they've been gathering streaming data and that likely played a roll in orchestrating this move.
Great points for which I didn't fully consider. ESPN's retooling towards streaming further solidifies my point: there are untapped viewers which are no long geometrically bound. Most of which are intertwined throughout the world. That untapped potential is where Iowa State stands to even the playing field. However, if ESPN is on top of streaming, this most recent power move is so limited in scope. As I've said from the get-go, the 'sequence' of steps ESPN takes will be not only 'telling' , but may also be their fate.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
If there is a disdain by other conferences for what SEC just did OR if the master plan to separate the elite is different, the next big play in this chess game will be what the other P5s do as a unit onto themselves. This is so much bigger than ISU, but I still maintain ISU has the resources to make this profitable for the elite group.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The PAC12 does have certain academic requirements, they aren’t as strict as AAU status but are a notch below. TCU meets that but Baylor doesn’t. TCU, while religious, has an imagine of not being as strict in its regards as Baylor. TCU was getting discussed when UT was looking last time so it not an absolute no.

Good to know as DFW is an important media and recruiting area.

Reactions: cstrunk

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
The idea of UCF is not what they are now, but what they will be ten years from now. I wouldn't be surprised if they were happy to be the big fish in the small pond for a bit longer, and after stacking up a bunch more wins having a huge profile for a jump in the future.

This is not me saying I think adding UCF is a great idea, just that I can see the thinking on it.

UCF and USF probably have the greatest growth potential of any of the realistic candidates. The schools are huge and have a ton of alumni. Attendance is growing and trending towards Big 12 levels. Their markets and the state of Florida overall are growing.

It’s happened before in Florida where a team came out of nowhere to be a power. Florida State and Miami were at about the same level as USF and UCF until the 80s.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
UCF and USF probably have the greatest growth potential of any of the realistic candidates. The schools are huge and have a ton of alumni. Attendance is growing and trending towards Big 12 levels. Their markets and the state of Florida overall are growing.

It’s happened before in Florida where a team came out of nowhere to be a power. Florida State and Miami were at about the same level as USF and UCF until the 80s.
Florida state had some good seasons starting late 60s on a consistent basis. A few before that. People seem to focus on the one small poorer stretch in the mid/late 70s.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Florida state had some good seasons starting late 60s on a consistent basis. A few before that. People seem to focus on the one small poorer stretch in the mid/late 70s.
The difference between exploiting your opportunities or letting your opportunities exploit you. ISU is at that rare stage where we must be pro-active. VERY pro-active.

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
Thanks for the TV market information. That was interesting. I saw an interesting analysis of Big 12 TV viewership posted on another board.

Big 12 Viewship

This points to the eyeballs on the games rather than fans attending the games. There was no information given as to the source of the report or the year being analyzed. It appears to be 2020 because there are zero views for some games which probably were canceled due to Covid. If that is the case, it would be interesting to see how things look in a normal year.

ISU looks reasonably good in comparison to the other little 8 schools. OSU looks especially good even when compared to OU and TX. KU is the worst but there is no data for two games that may have been canceled. The viewership probably reflects how good the particular teams are doing and how interesting the in-conference rivalries are. For instance, the OSU / OU bedlam rivalry is huge. The ISU / Iowa game is not even reflected along with any of the non-conference games for any team. So, that could change the result somewhat. It would be interesting to see how this analysis would look for men's and women's basketball

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
They did, but UCF has had some nice seasons recently too.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Great points for which I didn't fully consider. ESPN's retooling towards streaming further solidifies my point: there are untapped viewers which are no long geometrically bound. Most of which are intertwined throughout the world. That untapped potential is where Iowa State stands to even the playing field. However, if ESPN is on top of streaming, this most recent power move is so limited in scope. As I've said from the get-go, the 'sequence' of steps ESPN takes will be not only 'telling' , but may also be their fate.
Read an interesting article recently about ESPN and media rights. It mentioned the idea of cable is dying may be true, but the streaming services are same as cable. Streaming isn't a la carte and all but a version of Sling include ESPN- same as cable. When services like YouTube started they were $35/month and within a couple of years jumped to $65.

One interesting topic in the article regarding streaming is that services like YouTube, Hulu and Fubu might not have a place in a few years. People will just buy monthly subscriptions to the media entities they watch - Disney, Universal (Peacock), Discovery, etc.

The interesting piece was if streaming goes a la carte, the article authors thought Disney/ESPN would have to charge around $45/month if the trend moves from carriage to subscription.

The other interesting aspect I hadn't considered is programming as a business marketing tool. This article focused on why it makes a lot of sense for Amazon and Apple to enter sports media rights. For example live sports would give Amazon a tool to direct sell products during contests. Aka click a tile on screen during game and product is shipped. The focus of an Amazon with sport programming would be to increase average lifetime subscriber revenue for all the goods/services they sell.

Reactions: usedcarguy

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

The problem I see in that line of thinking is that the real value of our fandom can't be effectively monetized until the model is PPV....and that isn't happening anytime soon if ever. Until then, programs with extensive national followings will continue to have the most value for national broadcasts. Even if they're drawing less passionate fans or casual observers, they're still drawing and it commands a premium price. I can see a different world in 2035, but not really between now and 2025. If we get crushed over the next 10 years revenuewise, 2035 when the model will be more favorable to us won't much matter.

If there is a disdain by other conferences for what SEC just did OR if the master plan to separate the elite is different, the next big play in this chess game will be what the other P5s do as a unit onto themselves. This is so much bigger than ISU, but I still maintain ISU has the resources to make this profitable for the elite group.

I don't think there's any disdain as most schools would have jumped at the opportunity. However, there is fear. The net effect is the same.

It's definitely a chess match and I fully expect pushback from NCAA institutions. Schools do have some leverage, and they have more than I previously believed. #1 is how they choose to handle the playoffs. I won't go into all the scenarios because they've been discussed elsewhere, but if they spread access more equitably by granting more automatic bids from conferences, that will neuter some of the SEC's power and discourage superconferences.

#2 is a grander scheme than #1 in that the NCAA has called a constitutional convention for November. What the outcome will be I have no idea, but it will create a path for transitional change either for better or for worse. They could take actions that help level the playing field just as they did when they moved to limit scholarships...or lead to a breakaway.

It would be fascinating watch were it not for our future being in peril. And I still wouldn't write off the opportunity of an eventual B1G invite as others have done.

Money will always be an advantage, but as we've witnessed in the realm of college football, it has diminishing returns. schools like ISU and TCU are running at about 40% of what UT pulls in with more success. And with the recent actions of SEC/ESPN/UT/OU, every conference should be concerned about their cash cows getting poached. That is IMO what will be driving decisions.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Read an interesting article recently about ESPN and media rights. It mentioned the idea of cable is dying may be true, but the streaming services are same as cable. Streaming isn't a la carte and all but a version of Sling include ESPN- same as cable. When services like YouTube started they were $35/month and within a couple of years jumped to $65.

One interesting topic in the article regarding streaming is that services like YouTube, Hulu and Fubu might not have a place in a few years. People will just buy monthly subscriptions to the media entities they watch - Disney, Universal (Peacock), Discovery, etc.

The interesting piece was if streaming goes a la carte, the article authors thought Disney/ESPN would have to charge around $45/month if the trend moves from carriage to subscription.

The other interesting aspect I hadn't considered is programming as a business marketing tool. This article focused on why it makes a lot of sense for Amazon and Apple to enter sports media rights. For example live sports would give Amazon a tool to direct sell products during contests. Aka click a tile on screen during game and product is shipped. The focus of an Amazon with sport programming would be to increase average lifetime subscriber revenue for all the goods/services they sell.

So, root for things to go a la carte sooner than later? Because no way in hell am I paying $45 for SEC games. ESPN has just been hiding with the other cable stations in symbiosis. Used to be that everyone wanted ESPN and not the other cable stations…this realignment move changes things for me.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
First off. Thank you for this work. However, respectively, you place way too high of emphasis on TV 'markets' without a measure of fan distribution within those markets.

One of the favorite things we say in my industry is: "If you can't measure it, you can't fix it."

Let me provide a simple example of why that mode of measure will not last much longer. 'Advertising dollars'. We all see fewer pieces of advertising in our mailboxes and enormous amounts of email advertising replacing that. Why? 'Targeted, more efficient marketing techniques'. The internet and our usage patterns are dictating that shift because of 'immediate calibration' of effectiveness. 'Blanket' advertising is over unless the targeted masses justify it. I'd argue stadium attendance accurately measures the 'passion' of the fanbase and that directly corelates to viewership by all other methods. So, the SMART move for those dollars would be to do whatever is necessary to see how many fans are distributed across all of their markets. Simple graduation math will tell you how many are out there. The only thing to do after that is demographically map them. I would LOVE to see a map of Iowa State fans by geographical location.
From my experience when I lived in L.A. and S.F. some 10-40 years back, I did everything humanly possible to see our games. I'd be enticing bar owners to put the ISU game on one of their TVs by courting fellow fans and friends. Great thing was, I developed enough fan interest for the bar owner to put that game on. And guess what? We were a HORRIBLE product back then. Interest, I'll bet has dramatically swayed. But, I'll bet 10-1 zero credit was given to ISU viewership there. And still is because they can't 'measure' it. Any report or media company still touting THAT model are either lazy, ignorant, or intentionally doing that to distort the truth for their benefit.
ISU needs all of you to start seeing the world the same way. Otherwise we're relegated to believing what they want us to believe. Bottom line: I believe our numbers are so much better than what is being pushed.
I mean, the only people that gain an advantage from our numbers not looking bad is us. Fox and the Big Ten and Pac would all benefit from our numbers looking worse than they are because it could be a great bargaining tactic against a school that’s already against the ropes.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

Those are the fascinating parts of the equation. Passionate fans will probably fork over the $45. The casual observer, not so much. That would indicate that we are reaching a peak in terms of what networks are willing to pay.

But if someone like Amazon comes in and technology evolves to the point where relevant ads can be served on an individual basis, not only is the sky the limit, but traditional networks will be toast.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Thanks!

Seriously though... do you believe that adding a BYU and Houston, or Cincy to the Big 12 keeps it viable in any way?

What kind of revenue drop will ISU see if that happens? Would we make enough to keep our athletics department afloat?
I don't think any amount of internet chatter will make one iota of difference when it comes time for the powers to actually make a decision. It is fun and cathartic to speculate and postulate though.