best checking account's

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
CyFanatic has been helpful on issues related to personal finance before, so i'll try again..

What bank do you use for a checking account?

I currently bank with Wells Fargo, switched from our local credit union a couple of years ago because it had made travel difficult. However, I'm getting quite annoyed with Wells from ATM fees, no APY and poor customer service.

I'm thinking of switching to Ally or Charles Schwab, no monthly fees and repays ATM fees at the end of the month. Do any of you have experience with them? Thanks in advance!

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
CyFanatic has been helpful on issues related to personal finance before, so i'll try again..

I currently bank with Wells Fargo, switched from our local credit union a couple of years ago because it had made travel difficult. However, I'm getting quite annoyed with Wells from ATM fees, no APY and poor customer service.

I'm thinking of switching to Ally or Charles Schwab, no monthly fees and repays ATM fees at the end of the month. Do any of you have experience with them? Thanks in advance!
We use Wells Fargo and get interest. I try to use WF ATM's to avoid the fees. We also get a brokerage account with zero fee trading.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Chase has treated me very well -- they have no real footprint in Iowa, though.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneGamecock

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
There is a Wells Fargo ATM almost every half mile it seems like.. just use one of their own ATMs?

You're going to incur ATM fees with most banks when not using their own ATMs.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Discover had a nice deal going a few months ago (think it renews) where you got a few hundred if you opened an account with a certain balance. Interest is way higher than the piddly amount from a brick and mortar. Ally is another good one. We keep an account with a local credit union for quick access and they are so many free ATM withdrawals per month and have a big network of ATM's to use for when we need that.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I use ally for savings and previous had checking with them before I got married. Would highly recommend. 24/7 customer service with a real person, free checks, no atm fees for network atms and the reimburse fees, used the debit card internationally with no issues, free checks.

I used direct deposit and the mobile check deposit app. Depositing cash is challenging if that is something you do.

A couple of friends also use Ally and have had nothing but positive experiences.

Also look into capital one 360 checking. That's also a great one I've used in the past.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

I have Wells Fargo and a local credit union.

The ONLY reason I'm still with WF is because they have brick and mortar facilities in both IA and FL which is pretty important when you're living 6 months in each location.

They don't pay **** for interest and to get the free checking and ATM you need to have a certain number of accounts with them (I think 3?) and also must have at least one monthly scheduled automatic deposit. And either keep a minimum balance (I think $2,000) OR have a minimum number of Debit Card transactions per month (I think 12).

I did just sign up for their Propel American Express card which is sweet. 3% cash back on most purchases including restaurants, groceries, and gasoline. And lots of extras like extended warranties on electronics

As far as service, I get excellent personal service when I visit the actual bank locations. I hear horror stories about telephone contacts however.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I use Bank of America for checking and savings. They've been decent over the years and one is right by my house for convenience if I need it. I've maybe been inside it three times in 15 years.

Like every other CFer, the bulk of my massive fortune is split between my Swiss bank account and the Caymans.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I’ve used Schwab for years - great service. I also got them to wave trading fees on Vanguard mutual funds, so moved my investment accounts over as well. (Fees still apply to ETFs)

Reactions: HGoat1

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Members 1st CCU (Marshalltown, Ames, Boone, Eldora, Iowa Falls, Traer) never charges me ATM fees. I always get money out at Kwik Star because they have free ATM and cheap milk, eggs, bread, and bananas that my two kids under three go through weekly.

Members 1st CCU:
  • Savings = Spending Money (I get cash from ATM from here and pay Discover Credit)
  • Checking = $300 and transfer money in for exact amount whenever I use it (Garbage, Water, Phone Bills)
Discover:
  • Credit = Charge everything I can to this then pay with Savings from above
  • Checking = $300 and all reocurring bills that change less than once in 6 months (Roth 401k, Mortgage, Life Insurance, Car Insurance, Energy Budget Billing)
  • Savings = Emergency Fund (2.00% APY)

Last edited:

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Greater Iowa Credit Union has the best rewards checking account that I've found in the area. As long as you use your card 20+ times a month you get 3% interest on your account balance (up to $20K) and $10 in ATM fees reimbursed.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Being in the metro, I love using Veridian. The ability to do banking at HyVee on a Sunday makes it worthwhile.

On another note. I just opened up an online savings account through CitiBank since it has a 2.36% APY right now. It is the first time using a high yield online savings account. I figured I may as well with Veridian's rates at only 0.25%. I also thought it is a good way to squirrel away my emergency fund so I'm less tempted to think of it as cash on hand.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've used US Bank since I opened my checking account back in 2001. I've never paid a fee for it, free checking, no minimum balance. I'm pretty happy with it.

Reactions: bos

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've used US Bank since I opened my checking account back in 2001. I've never paid a fee for it, free checking, no minimum balance. I'm pretty happy with it.

Same here. And since I have a mortgage with them with a balance >$25k, I am a "Gold" member, and refunds ATM fees elsewhere.

We also have a Greater Iowa Account, but their web interface leaves a lot to be desired.