Ball state added to Schedule

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Folks..... hate to burst your bubble, but there isn’t going to be college football this year. You might as well brace yourselves now.
Thanks. I thought for sure it was 100% there would be a season, but your post really helped me rethink things. I never thought it could be cancelled.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'd love to have football more than anyone, but it isn't happening in this country.... we're too stupid to deserve it I'm afraid.

I just got a notice on my phone today that in CR they are having an indoor concert of some kind inside the US Cellular Center downtown. It says you will be required to wear a mask to your seat, and the seats will be social distanced in groups, but once at your seat you won't be required to wear your mask anymore.

There were some kind of junior wrestling tournaments going on in Iowa somewhere I heard from someone. Not sure how accurate that is?

But the fact remains.... we're too stupid as a nation to have done what it would have taken to get to enjoy football this fall. And it's much too late to act now. We need to act now though if anyone wants to get together with family for Thanksgiving and Christmas. That's what the goal needs to be now.

Football is toast... and since basketball is indoors, that's likely toast too.... for fans at least anyway.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If by pitching you mean he's on the DL, yes.

Also, highly relevant:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/9279...use-lasting-cardiovascular-damage-study-shows

if you’re going to push your agenda, you should probably pick a better source. That one mentions “regardless of severity” but doesn’t bother to say that the study referenced was all people who were sick enough they had to be hospitalized.

You also seem to be more intent on your Chicken Little impression than noticing that the pitcher you’re trying to build a case on has simply been told to rest for a week, then see how it is.

I really hate how people pushing their own agendas always ignore inconvenient facts.

COVID-19 is bad enough without people on both sides of the fence pushing things that just aren’t true.

please pardon me if I didn’t manage to find the absolutely last minute, up to date info. I’m tired, and what I’d already found irked me enough.

Now, back to Ball State...

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
RP's article in DSMR

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...xOmk6iY4dEXduMLZyifZ-5S8Yr3YewqgUdeIFBjpLvSoA

Peterson: Inside Iowa State's unique non-conference football contract with Ball State
Randy Peterson
Des Moines Register

AMES, Ia. — Iowa State’s recently-announced non-conference football game against Ball State on Sept. 12 not only represents on-the-fly scheduling but also provides a peek into what could be out-of-the-box wording of non-conference athletic event contracts.

\
edit: Don't know what happened as I copy/paste the entire article and only first paragraph remains.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
RP with a groundbreaking statement that the word Covid was probably never in a sports contract before Covid hit in March.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Ball State was much better than their 5-7 record last year. They blew out Toledo, and hung with Indiana, FAU and N.C. State. They only lost by 8 to Notre Dame in 2018. I'm not sure what they lost in the off-season, but they should be decent this year, assuming we have a season. Looking through their stats, they have a dangerous running game and a decent passing attack with a good amount of their weapons and their starting QB returning this year.. Defensively they force a lot of turnovers but had no players with 5 or more sacks last year.

UNLV has three home games, against California, LA Tech and Arizona State before coming to Ames. That kinda sucks, they will have three tough games before they play us. They have former TCU QB Justin Rogers and have a really good RB. Their top WR is back, but their passing game was not impressive last year. Their defense sucks. They only had 12 sacks and 11 QB hurries last year. Purdy should be able to stay in the pocket and pick 'em apart. They have an o-lineman named Tiger Shanks and a punter named Charlton Butt.

South Dakota... not even a tiny bit worried about them. They got blown out by Oklahoma, UNI and NDSU last year (outscored 151 - 55 in those games).

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I'd love to have football more than anyone, but it isn't happening in this country.... we're too stupid to deserve it I'm afraid.

I just got a notice on my phone today that in CR they are having an indoor concert of some kind inside the US Cellular Center downtown. It says you will be required to wear a mask to your seat, and the seats will be social distanced in groups, but once at your seat you won't be required to wear your mask anymore.

There were some kind of junior wrestling tournaments going on in Iowa somewhere I heard from someone. Not sure how accurate that is?

But the fact remains.... we're too stupid as a nation to have done what it would have taken to get to enjoy football this fall. And it's much too late to act now. We need to act now though if anyone wants to get together with family for Thanksgiving and Christmas. That's what the goal needs to be now.

Football is toast... and since basketball is indoors, that's likely toast too.... for fans at least anyway.
Football will be played in some capacity. The unknown is how many fans will be allowed to attend with worst case scenario having games played in empty stadiums.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Last edited by a moderator:

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I hope some of these games are late starts as I do have to work some Saturdays...Can't really take a whole month off in a row! :confused:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I hope some of these games are late starts as I do have to work some Saturdays...Can't really take a whole month off in a row! :confused:
Well if you want to cut down on some tailgating, start the games @ 11 am. I know it's way easier said than done though considering TV schedules and what not.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
If this game costs $350K and brings in no new ticket revenue I assume one of our TV partners wants to pay to air it. Just a bit surprised given the match-up.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
If this game costs $350K and brings in no new ticket revenue I assume one of our TV partners wants to pay to air it. Just a bit surprised given the match-up.
Surprised people are questioning (not just this one) the contract - we have JP everything has been thought of and is the best deal he could get given the circumstances and our budget. I for one am more than happy that we get another home game and at no cost to me.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I hope the Big XII is recruiting/screening extra officials for this season. I can imagine the meltdown if a game had to be cancelled because of not having an officiating crew.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I hope the Big XII is recruiting/screening extra officials for this season. I can imagine the meltdown if a game had to be cancelled because of not having an officiating crew.
tenor.gif