B12/SEC Challenge...

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Looks like we've won 4-3-2 series wise, up 48-41 overall record. I don't now this year I think I'd lean SEC.

Hope we get a BIG Challenge going forward, selfishly since I'm in Wisconsin.
I'll be shocked if a Big 10-Big 12 Challenge doesn't move into the old Big Ten-ACC window in late November/early December. Plenty of inventory for FOX and ESPN there. I'm not sure what ESPN's plan is for the ACC-SEC Challenge, whether it will be in the old Big Ten-ACC window or in late January.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Factor in that the road teams from Big 12 will be called for 25 fouls. These challenges are always unfair to the side with just 10 teams to choose from.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Factor in that the road teams from Big 12 will be called for 25 fouls. These challenges are always unfair to the side with just 10 teams to choose from.
A related question do the SEC refs work the SEC home courts for this challenge, and vice versa? I've watched these every year but do not recall how they do that.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Glad this is finally ending after this year. The matchups have just been so stale.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Here are my straight up picks in BOLD:
  • Alabama at Oklahoma <-- OU is reeling
  • Arkansas at Baylor <-- The Bears have recovered from their mid season slump
  • Auburn at West Virginia <-- Upset special. Tigers in the wrong town at the wrong time.
  • Florida at Kansas State <-- Emaw clocks in and wins by habit
  • Kansas at Kentucky <-- UK just gets into this game, and KU sleep walks
  • Texas Tech at LSU <-- LSU gets up for the challenge for whatever reason
  • Ole Miss at Oklahoma State <-- Cowpokes will whoop out their Big D, and win this ugly.
  • TCU at Mississippi State <-- Hypno-toads low on batteries after 2 straight Ws
  • Iowa State at Missouri <-- Mizzou would be in 11th place in the modern Big 12
  • Texas at Tennessee <-- Tennessee coach Rick Barns took the Longhorns to 17 straight tournaments, and was fired for missing it once. NFW do the Volunteers come up short.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Stupid waste of time. We need to sit everyone we can. Zero interest in somebody getting hurt in a scrimmage like this. Completely meaningless game for us.
I don't understand this thinking. You play to win. Every game on the schedule counts for metrics in March tournament seeding. An opponent is either good enough that a win helps you or bad enough that a loss hurts you.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I don't understand this thinking. You play to win. Every game on the schedule counts for metrics in March tournament seeding. An opponent is either good enough that a win helps you or bad enough that a loss hurts you.
Agree. Every win and loss affects how we will be seeded come March.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Like the match up with Missouri and think we'll win, but agree the timing of these gamed is ridiculous. Still, Missouri isn't bad and a win looks good on the resume comes March. I don't see a let down here and expect the team to play with the same intensity we've been seeing. The AP Monday will look really good where a loss might stink that up and I don't want to see that happen. I wanna be ranked ahead of KU and kstate. Generally shuts their fans up.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Would love for us to win, but there's absolutely no doubt this is the least important game on the remainder of our schedule.

So happy this mid-season B12/SEC challenge is history after this season.

Reactions: NoCreativity

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Agree on the bottom teams of the SEC, but Big12 has only won once in last six years.

When you can pick (mostly) the best 10 of 14, you will avoid some of your laggards being forced to compete. Please note that Vanderbilt is NOT on the docket, for example. Wonder how many times (if any?) they have been in this thing?? Conversely, the Big12 plays everybody, even our doormat(s), EVERY YEAR.

Based on matchups and locations, I wouldn't be shocked if SEC won 6 games. Then ESPN can start a storyline on how the Big12 is overrated, which is what they want anyway.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Stupid waste of time. We need to sit everyone we can. Zero interest in somebody getting hurt in a scrimmage like this. Completely meaningless game for us.
Every P5 tier 1 game is opportunity to help get ISU to improve their seed and help their chances playing in Des Moines.
ISU plays 10 mid-major teams in the non-con that do nothing to help our profile and everyone plays. Just because it is January and not December shouldn't be a reason to think less of it.

Kunc got hurt during practice... There are always risks but sitting players isn't protecting them unless they can worsen an injury.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Every P5 tier 1 game is opportunity to help get ISU to improve their seed and help their chances playing in Des Moines.
ISU plays 10 mid-major teams in the non-con that do nothing to help our profile and everyone plays. Just because it is January and not December shouldn't be a reason to think less of it.

Kunc got hurt during practice... There are always risks but sitting players isn't protecting them unless they can worsen an injury.
The point is moot except for Grill. Yes, the Mizzou game matters. But ISU has to play 48 hours later. If there is a chance playing against Mizzou makes Grill even a little less effective in the TTech game then I would support the staff sitting him (not that my support means anything). We still have a good chance of beating Mizzou without him and winning the conference would be a significant accomplishment. This makes conference games significantly more important at this point in the season IMO.

And if all you're worried about is resume, you could say that a potentially bad loss at Tech at the end of the season does more harm than a Q1 win at Mizzou does good. Again, this is all dependent on what the trainer thinks of Grills health, and if rest is paramount for his recovery at this point.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
When you can pick (mostly) the best 10 of 14, you will avoid some of your laggards being forced to compete. Please note that Vanderbilt is NOT on the docket, for example. Wonder how many times (if any?) they have been in this thing?? Conversely, the Big12 plays everybody, even our doormat(s), EVERY YEAR.

Based on matchups and locations, I wouldn't be shocked if SEC won 6 games. Then ESPN can start a storyline on how the Big12 is overrated, which is what they want anyway.
Their #3, #8, #9 and #11 teams are not playing. Out of 14 teams. That seems pretty 'fair' and not skewed.

I'm simply making point Big12 has struggled in these matchups. Hell we've gone 5-5 against the Big East the last 2 years.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone