Ayeni to NW

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Good luck to him. Didn't he lure Mike Warren to ISU after he left Toledo? Hope no recruits leave with him.

Yeah, I hope he doesn't take any recruits with him. I doubt Warren will follow him.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Although Ayeni was great, I don't think ISU needs to spend more than 350k on their RB coach. That is a LOT of money in Ames, IA. He'll be making less, relatively speaking, by living in Chicago, unless NW is going to make him the highest paid RB coach in the country.

Can't blame a guy for wanting to coach at their alma mater though. I'd take less money if I could coach at ISU.

I believe Ayeni was also the first coach that coach Campbell appointed as assistant coach, which could be why he was getting paid what he was.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nice job opportunity for some coach to come here. Nice roster of RB's to work with.

No kidding. The guy who gets the job is almost automatically a candidate for RB coach of the year! And that is what surprises me. Wouldn't Ayeni want to enjoy what our RB room does next year? I've heard him talk with delight about never having an RB room like this.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if there is more to the story, such as Northwestern giving him a better path to OC (there) and HC (somewhere).

Tom Hermann was "only" a QB coach when he went to Ohio State, but because the OC pretty quickly.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I wonder if there is more to the story, such as Northwestern giving him a better path to OC (there) and HC (somewhere).

LA has said he wants to be a HC, and he'll need to move up to OC eventually. If there is not a pay increase with this move, what you are suggesting would make sense.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I imagined we would lose him at some point to a more powerhouse program, but Northwestern is a surprise especially with what we having coming back. Perhaps he thought he needed to get out of Campbell's shadow to expand his resume for a head coach opportunity.
My first thought too but he played there & was grad assistant too before joining Matt at Toledo so I feel a little better. Ideally we have an assistant who was working with Lou and can step up now - plus we get to hire that 10th asst. very soon. (or is that presumed to be the QB grad asst. from CB & KSU?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
My first thought too but he played there & was grad assistant too before joining Matt at Toledo so I feel a little better. Ideally we have an assistant who was working with Lou and can step up now - plus we get to hire that 10th asst. very soon. (or is that presumed to be the QB grad asst. from CB & KSU?

Jake took a job in Texas somewhere.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Will this be a review of salaries for the Assistants, or looked at as a hierarchy / alma mater move? Will be interesting to see how the names are pulled in and from where. Last year did Iowa pull in the NDSU Line Coach? Would Atif Austin or Conor Riley be a couple names to kick around?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just wondering if NW fired the previous RB coach or if someone hired him or someone else on their staff to create an opening

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Just wondering if NW fired the previous RB coach or if someone hired him or someone else on their staff to create an opening
Dont they get to add an additional coach this year? I assume that went into effect 1/1.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
A source tells the Tribune the Iowa State associate head coach and running game coordinator will be joining Pat Fitzgerald’s staff as the running backs coach and recruiting coordinator. Matt MacPherson will be shifting to coach cornerbacks and be the Wildcats’ special teams coordinator, the source said.

LINK

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He made 300K in Ames last year, and would be getting a good bump this year. Since he is going to be Recruiting Coordinator I am guessing 400-450K? Still, I would think he would have been in line for the OC at ISU if and when Manning moved on.

Hoefer is next in line IMO. We'll be fine at RB.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
@tolfbfan do you know anything about Anthony Johnson, who replaced Ayeni as RB coach in Toledo? I saw he went to be RB coach at Texas under Charlie Strong but wasn't retained when Herman took over. Wonder if he might be a candidate since the staff is familiar with him.

• Informative
Reactions: LindenCy