Auto insurance - car accident advice

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
My mom was recently involved in a car accident the past two weeks. She was t boned at an intersection. She had a witness talk to the police stating the other car was the one who ran the red light and hit my mom. We found out the other person was lying and telling police / insurance that my mom ran the red light.

The police report came out and found the other person at fault, so we thought everything would be clean moving forward. Now we have found out the other person didn't have auto insurance... And she called her previous company to get reinstated after the accident falsely telling them she wasn't involved in an accident. Now her provider has gotten the police report and is getting very sketchy.

I'm guessing my mom is just at mercy of both insurance companies figuring something out.. But what happens if the other insurance company rejects her claim. Is this something that has to go to court to be resolved? Or would my mom just do the full coverage claim and deal with her premium going up. I've never been involved in a crash where someone didn't have insurance so I really have no idea or advice for my mom.

Thanks in advance.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Your mom needs to file a claim with her own insurance company. Her company will go after the uninsured person through a process called subrogation. Your mom will be fine and have nothing to worry about. I'm an insurance agent, so I go through this every day.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
My mom was recently involved in a car accident the past two weeks. She was t boned at an intersection. She had a witness talk to the police stating the other car was the one who ran the red light and hit my mom. We found out the other person was lying and telling police / insurance that my mom ran the red light.

The police report came out and found the other person at fault, so we thought everything would be clean moving forward. Now we have found out the other person didn't have auto insurance... And she called her previous company to get reinstated after the accident falsely telling them she wasn't involved in an accident. Now her provider has gotten the police report and is getting very sketchy.

I'm guessing my mom is just at mercy of both insurance companies figuring something out.. But what happens if the other insurance company rejects her claim. Is this something that has to go to court to be resolved? Or would my mom just do the full coverage claim and deal with her premium going up. I've never been involved in a crash where someone didn't have insurance so I really have no idea or advice for my mom.

Thanks in advance.

Does she have uninsured motorist coverage?

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Your mom needs to file a claim with her own insurance company. Her company will go after the uninsured person through a process called subrogation. Your mom will be fine and have nothing to worry about. I'm an insurance agent, so I go through this every day.
Yes, subrogration. However, that doesn't guarantee anything. Still a lot could go wrong in subrogation.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Just asked her to check. Looks like she does. Do you still pay deductible with this? (sorry for all the stupid questions :))
She will have to pay her collision deductible. If her insurance company can successfully get their money back from the guilty party, she may get some or all of her deductible back.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
No deductible on uninsured motorist. The uninsured motorist coverage is for injuries to your mom.
That's not right. Her collision deductible is going to apply. When her insurance company goes to subrogation, they'll pay her deductible back first before they recoup their losses.

Side note-uninsured people are absolute scumbags. Be a responsible human being. If you can't/won't pay for insurance, don't drive. It's part of the cost of operating a vehicle.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I hope your mom is OK.

I was in an accident two weeks ago--not my fault--and dealing with the insurance has been a full time job. My advice would be to let her insurance handle it. I'm guessing she'll have to pay the deductible. But honestly dealing with someone else's insurance to get the deductible back is no picnic either.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
No deductible on uninsured motorist. The uninsured motorist coverage is for injuries to your mom.

Is this by state/company? Cause I 100% had to pay my deductible when I got rear ended by an uninsured on suspended license.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
That's not right. Her collision deductible is going to apply. When her insurance company goes to subrogation, they'll pay her deductible back first before they recoup their losses.

Side note-uninsured people are absolute scumbags. Be a responsible human being. If you can't/won't pay for insurance, don't drive. It's part of the cost of operating a vehicle.

I wish it was something like when you buy a house. Can’t buy a car without proof of insurance.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I hope your mom is OK.

I was in an accident two weeks ago--not my fault--and dealing with the insurance has been a full time job. My advice would be to let her insurance handle it. I'm guessing she'll have to pay the deductible. But honestly dealing with someone else's insurance to get the deductible back is no picnic either.

Did you t bone his mom? Quite a coincidence……. :jimlad:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Did you t bone his mom? Quite a coincidence……. :jimlad:

That would be ;). I got hit by a semi on 235 and then another car hit me. Luckily the semi did have insurance (and he stopped) but dealing with his insurance has been pretty slow.

Reactions: cmjh10

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
My mom is totally okay, no injuries for her. She's just always seemed to have bad luck in situations like this. So of course the person who hits her lies to the police and doesn't have insurance.

Reactions: NWICY and jsb

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My mom is totally okay, no injuries for her. She's just always seemed to have bad luck in situations like this. So of course the person who hits her lies to the police and doesn't have insurance.

The next problem is finding a car or fixing the one that was damaged. I heard that getting a car repaired is taking forever right now. And I found out that finding a car is really tough. And expensive. I had forgotten the last time I bought a new car they were still doing the low interest rate or $3000 rebates. No rebates right now.

Reactions: cytor

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The deductible is collision on the car only. The uninsured motorist coverage will only come into play if your mom was hurt and needs treatment. There is not an additional deductible for uninsured motorist.
What state does your mom live in?

Reactions: aauummm

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
That would be ;). I got hit by a semi on 235 and then another car hit me. Luckily the semi did have insurance (and he stopped) but dealing with his insurance has been pretty slow.
How did you get hit by a semi and still alive?

Reactions: cytor