Ashley Okland Murder

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The news story reads strange to me..”[this case] isn’t in in a filing cabinet.... It is on the detective’s desk”. Why would you phrase it like that? Sounds to me that, while the case is still open, it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

I think they knew who did it, but never got enough evidence to charge and get a conviction. So, sadly, the case remains open with more questions than prove able answers

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Friends with a person who was a family friend of hers. They said they thought it was a hit. Her boyfriend was into some bad stuff and she paid for it. It was a long time ago, but that's what I remember. They said "they thought". Who knows. I hope they find the person eitherway. sad deal.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Friends with a person who was a family friend of hers. They said they thought it was a hit. Her boyfriend was into some bad stuff and she paid for it. It was a long time ago, but that's what I remember. They said "they thought". Who knows. I hope they find the person eitherway. sad deal.
That actually seems kind of unlikely. If he pissed the wrong people off they would have just killed him unless she was involved herself. Even bad people don't usually go after random family members and friends.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Women are more frequently killed by intimate partners than anyone else.

That would have been the initial focus.

Also anyone with knowledge of her schedule.

If that doesn’t pan out, what are they left with? Random stalker who followed her?

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

If that doesn’t pan out, what are they left with? Random stalker who followed her?
No rape/sexual assault, no robbery right? IIRC. The chance of some random person just happening to be there would be pretty small I’d think.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
No rape/sexual assault, no robbery right? IIRC. The chance of some random person just happening to be there would be pretty small I’d think.

Agree. If some random followed her from a convenience store or something, another crime would surely be involved.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think Jodi was kidnapped and murdered by an over the road trucker. Just absolutely no evidence of what happened at all.
I think you have her confused with the female Grinnell student. Husentruit was abducted from her apartment parking lot early in the AM. There was a Dateline/ 48 Hours episode that singled out one guy who I think probably did it.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yeah, the murder clearance rate overall in the US is about 60%.

Take away all the ones where its either immediately obvious who did it or that person is someone close who can be easily identified, which is most murders, and I imagine that clearance rate goes down substantially.

Reactions: isutrevman

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Went to that site...talk about a rabbit hole to get drawn into....reading about the cases and stories. It is wild for missing people especially to wonder if they got killed and body hid, if they left on own and created a new life, etc.

I was blown away by how many there were and how I've never heard anything about the more recent ones.