Anyone using extra time to read more?

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Extra time? What is that? Between working from home AND homeschooling kids who are also stuck at home, any free time I used to have is gone.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm not sure how it's possible but it almost feels like I have less time on my hands. Both my wife and I are working from home plus trying to do school stuff with our kids so it feels like things are non stop. At the end of the day we try to get outside and do a little something just for a change of scenery and next thing you know it it's time for the kids to go to bed and we are exhausted.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I have been reading more for pleasure and to keep my sanity. Because the fitness center is closed it is also important to walk daily and keep the old body as fit as possible.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Has anyone on here read any books by Simon Sinek? If so, what are your thoughts?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Try as I may I just can't get into reading. Have way too much of a wandering mind.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Has anyone on here read any books by Simon Sinek? If so, what are your thoughts?
No. But I did like this take. I usually loathe these self help guys because they seem so often to just perfect obviousness. But I have to admit, I like the dude.

Reactions: tyler24

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
No. But I did like this take. I usually loathe these self help guys because they seem so often to just perfect obviousness. But I have to admit, I like the dude.

He appears to be a deep thinker with things and I really appreciate his YouTube videos. I love the self help people though, probably because I very myself as lazy. I want the path of least resistance, but I am learning I will always be average with that mindset.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Keeping subtitles on Netflix and Hulu to keep my brain sharp.

tenor.gif

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Currently reading "Prisoner" by Jason Rezaian. He's currently in prison to the point I'm at in the book, though I feel he likely gets out in the end.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He appears to be a deep thinker with things and I really appreciate his YouTube videos. I love the self help people though, probably because I very myself as lazy. I want the path of least resistance, but I am learning I will always be average with that mindset.

I think you and I are the same person. Very eerily the same anyway.

I haven't had a panic attack yet, but wouldn't surprise me at all if I had one.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
DSM Public Library is issuing digital library cards. I signed up and have been able to “reserve” some books that I’ve been reading to my kids before bed. The apps (there are multiple apps) are easy to navigate and it’s pretty easy to download titles directly to my Kindle. Maximum checkout is for 3 weeks which is plenty of time for what we’ve been reading. I have noticed that most popular/newer titles are almost always checked out, so this would be good option if you have some books that you always meant to read but never got around to. It says the digital library card is only good for 3 months, but who knows if that will be extended.

One requirement for the digital library card is that it requires your Driver License # - probably to make sure you’re local to DSM, but thought I would point that out in case anyone was worried about sharing personal info online.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
DSM Public Library is issuing digital library cards. I signed up and have been able to “reserve” some books that I’ve been reading to my kids before bed. The apps (there are multiple apps) are easy to navigate and it’s pretty easy to download titles directly to my Kindle. Maximum checkout is for 3 weeks which is plenty of time for what we’ve been reading. I have noticed that most popular/newer titles are almost always checked out, so this would be good option if you have some books that you always meant to read but never got around to. It says the digital library card is only good for 3 months, but who knows if that will be extended.

One requirement for the digital library card is that it requires your Driver License # - probably to make sure you’re local to DSM, but thought I would point that out in case anyone was worried about sharing personal info online.

Libraries are awesome

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Pulled out Infinite Jest and got to page 2 this time. Success!
Stick with it; it’s about pg 150 when you start knowing what’s going on IIRC and then is just great. Its my favorite book of all time.

Reactions: Doc

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Just read Beneath a Scarlet Sky. WWWII story. Lots of action, based on a true story. Sobering

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
You mean like books and magazines, not billboards and text messages, right?

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
I’ve only got half of a James Rollins book left and apparently it takes a month to order books off Amazon now but I’ve got Stillness is the Key and a Steve Barry book on the way.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Just finished Jeff Pearlman’s Football for a Buck. Fun, quick read about the USFL. Trump ends up ruining it for everyone.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I think you and I are the same person. Very eerily the same anyway.

I haven't had a panic attack yet, but wouldn't surprise me at all if I had one.
I hope you never have one. The one nice thing I've learned from my panic attacks is that, life is much simpler than we make it out to be. We worry about so much small stuff, when really we just need to learn from the small stuff.

I have been taking huge steps in overcoming my anxiety recently and as terrifying as it has been, it has been one of the most life changing things I have ever done. My perspective on the world is changing with it. I've come to realize that if we face our Hell, we will eventually find our Heaven.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron