Ames Lager

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Someone please say this is wrong....

An employee at the Jordan Creek Hy-Vee said they likely won't get anymore Ames Lager for football season... Is that true????
They may be talking about Clone Fest. I saw a post today from Cedar Rapids Edgewood Road HyVee saying today is the last shipment of Clonefest.

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
None at Cedar Falls Hy-Vee or Happys on university. They say they can’t get it, but wish they could. Both had Clone Fest and the Cyclone Vodka. Hy-Vee had 16 oz aluminum 15 packs of Bud Light with Cyclone Logos? Didn’t know about that one??

• Agree
Reactions: jaj040

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I'll be in Okoboji for a few days starting on Labor Day. Anyone know if you can get cans to go straight from the brewery?
I saw a pic of their tap list and it was on there. I would think you could at least get growlers or crowlers or something. Never been to West O though

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I get why some breweries wouldn't want to "offend half the market" or whatever....but aren't these micro breweries doing the Iowa and ISU beer also potentially going to blow by the others in the state?

Couldn't it be like you do the Iowa beer and you dominate at a 60% clip, you do the ISU beer and you dominate at a 40% clip...you don't do either and you fall behind?

I'm out of state so who knows, but I would think within a couple years Swarm and Ames Lager will be the #1 and #2 local beer in the state with separation right? Is there some other Iowa brewery that sells a ton nationwide and doesn't need to do well in Iowa?

Toppling Goliath

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I haven't even tasted the Ames Lager or Swarm beers yet and I already know the Ames Lager is better, because my parents raised me right. **** Iowa.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I saw a pic of their tap list and it was on there. I would think you could at least get growlers or crowlers or something. Never been to West O though
I have a second home in the Okoboji area. Have been going to West O whenever I am there for the last 10+ years and fill my growlers. Usually, one with Cocoa Stout and the other with whatever tickles my wife's fancy when we are there, often a raspberry shandy. They don't always allow growler purchase of some of the beers on tap, I assume it is because they are running low. They usually have most of the beers available to purchase as six packs. The growth of West O is bittersweet for me. It is nice to see them having success, but I miss the small brewery feel that they used to have. The Tipsey House beer they had this summer was very good. The original Lake Beast was fantastic, but newer iterations have never been quite as good. If you have never been there, I encourage you to go.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Had a tip about some at West Ames Hyvee so ran over and got some. About 4-5 cases left as of about 10 minutes ago. Also, go figure the price gougers over at Hyvee are taking advantage of the high demand and charging $14 a sixer.
I just bought some at the Edgewood Rd Hy-Vee in CR for 11.99. They probably had 5 or 6 cases left.

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill
My beer ranking.
1. Clone Fest
2. Legend (better out of tap than can)
3. Ames Lager...

Just my preferences. Will I drink them all again, yes.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
My beer ranking.
1. Clone Fest
2. Legend (better out of tap than can)
3. Ames Lager...

Just my preferences. Will I drink them all again, yes.
Haven't found Legend yet but I'd put Ames Lager way above Clone Fest. Neither would be a daily driver for me as an IPA fan. Looking forward to the new Backpocket IPA entry

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: huntt26

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron