Ames Lager

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Can someone tell me Ames Lager tastes like? What beer is it similar to?

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill
Haven't found Legend yet but I'd put Ames Lager way above Clone Fest. Neither would be a daily driver for me as an IPA fan. Looking for to the new Backpocket IPA entry
Glad we have options. I would go with the way above the other way around, especially since I prefer malty. Will definitely try the IPA, but I have to be in the mood for one. Sours -- hard pass.

Reactions: 1100011CS

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Loosing hope of finder Ames Lager in DSM metro, at least near term. No supply or much info on when or if it will be stocked.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Someone please say this is wrong....

An employee at the Jordan Creek Hy-Vee said they likely won't get anymore Ames Lager for football season... Is that true????
Hy-Vee employees are mostly minimum wage and uninformed. Unless you heard it directly from someone with a black badge on. Then maybe a 25/75 chance they know what they're talking about.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I haven’t found any Cyclone beers recently so I’ve decided to work through the other WestO varieties on the shelves to force a restock. I’m enjoying the WestO fest, a Marzen that’s pretty good. Coco Stout is awesome. Hope the restock includes Ames Lager.

Last edited:

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill
I was told that Altoona Hy-Vee has had a good supply of Ames Lager. That is where my friend/tailgate neighbor picked it up. (He lives in Johnston and couldn't find any there.) It was split down the middle for our tailgate. Busch/Bud Light drinkers preferred the Ames Lager. Those of that preferred maltier beers chose the Clone Fest. Both groups like Legend. I am actually impressed that all 3 were good (not great, but good). If I find the Vodka it will be in the RV as well.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Can someone tell me Ames Lager tastes like? What beer is it similar to?
I would compare it to Bud Fat, but with more actual beer flavor and less carbonation (so not as filling).

The first one, I thought was OK. Having had a few now at different settings, it's growing on me - getting better. I think this is my go to lager now.

Reactions: mfl3cy

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
1. Legend
2. Clone Fest
3. Ames Lager

I'll probably buy Ames Lager most though because they're all good and I'll drink about any beer. I'm typically a Busch Light drinker but love Oktoberfest and Pumpkin (not spice) beers.

Reactions: CY74 and mfl3cy

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill
Why are people comparing CLone Fest to Ames Lager? They're different kinds of beer? It's like saying my chicken wings on Saturday were better than the neighbor's brat patties. You can't really compare the two.
Probably should have started a different thread to include all 3. I just stated my preferences, but I would agree all 3 are different beers. Can't go wrong with any of them for a tailgate