Ames Lager

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I just got a couple of six packs at the north Ankeny Hy-Vee. Got them right off the palate. Looks like they had quite a bit.

Reactions: NWICY

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Had a tip about some at West Ames Hyvee so ran over and got some. About 4-5 cases left as of about 10 minutes ago. Also, go figure the price gougers over at Hyvee are taking advantage of the high demand and charging $14 a sixer.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Had a tip about some at West Ames Hyvee so ran over and got some. About 4-5 cases left as of about 10 minutes ago. Also, go figure the price gougers over at Hyvee are taking advantage of the high demand and charging $14 a sixer.
It's the market forces at work. Glad I already have some :)

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
From what i've heard, it's just THAT hyvee that is adding an extra $2 to pocket for themselves.

This may be the case, but over the last year or so, the East Hy-Vee seems to have very deliberately marked everything up 10-20% compared to competition. And another 5% for everything if you’re shopping online.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Is there anywhere in Dubuque where there is some Ames Lager available? If so, would really appreciate if someone could PM the place.

Coming back to Iowa to visit some old friends this weekend and would love to try this beer.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
This may be the case, but over the last year or so, the East Hy-Vee seems to have very deliberately marked everything up 10-20% compared to competition. And another 5% for everything if you’re shopping online.
Food wise they definitely have for sure. They have some solid booze sales there though, like they had a 2 hour sale this week on Very Old Barton bourbon for $2 earlier this week, and they usually have one off beer sales that I'm pretty sure is just the distributor trying to get rid of. Pretty common to find pallets of random types of beer for $5-6 a sixer.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Is there anywhere in Dubuque where there is some Ames Lager available? If so, would really appreciate if someone could PM the place.

Coming back to Iowa to visit some old friends this weekend and would love to try this beer.
Sent you a DM

Reactions: cyfanbr

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has been covered, but is this available in NW Iowa, particularly the Sioux City area? I'm visiting family this weekend and would love to pick some up.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Found some at the W Broadway Hy-Vee in Council Bluffs, it looked like they just got it in. Hopefully this means they're starting to get some more stuff out to the edges of the state.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Found some at the W Broadway Hy-Vee in Council Bluffs, it looked like they just got it in. Hopefully this means they're starting to get some more stuff out to the edges of the state.
They only have about three cases left at a 14 this morning. I just bought two sixers to save the rest for somebody else.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I think he'd be willing to if demand warranted it. Whenever I was back home I used to stop in and talk to him about any craft beers he had on his shelf. I think he'd be willing to stock more but no one buys them.

(although I'm guessing the post that started this conversation was just a reason to say Sac Liquor - I drove by that place for years and never connected the humor in the name until I saw it posted on college humor)
I took the name for granted being from Sac... I thought Sac Wash was always funny though.

Charlie would be easier to convince than the grocery store in town at least. I might have to stop in this weekend when I'm back home.