Ames Lager Update

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
speaking of Christmas, Ames Lager would male a great present for out of state Cyclones. Just make sure you read the rules for shipping alcohol.

What are the rules? or where can I find them?

I live in Illinois but will be in Ames for a basketball game in a few weeks. Rules or no rules, I can tell you that everyone who goes to Wisconsin comes back with a few cases of New Glarus. I figure it shouldn't be a big deal to bring back a few cases of Ames Lager

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
It makes complete sense that demand has dropped. Scarcity and being the new cool thing will skyrocket demand initially. Also we're getting into cold weather, most drinkers I know start switching to heavier beers and liquors around this time.

From my own personal experience, I saw Ames Lager for the first time last week at HyVee on University in West Des Moines and there were only two 6 packs.

Reactions: Cytown12

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
What are the rules? or where can I find them?

I live in Illinois but will be in Ames for a basketball game in a few weeks. Rules or no rules, I can tell you that everyone who goes to Wisconsin comes back with a few cases of New Glarus. I figure it shouldn't be a big deal to bring back a few cases of Ames Lager
It's "illegal" to transport alcohol across state lines, one of those dumb laws still carried over from Prohibition era. Everyone does it, especially from Wisconsin (Spotted Cow).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It's "illegal" to transport alcohol across state lines, one of those dumb laws still carried over from Prohibition era. Everyone does it, especially from Wisconsin (Spotted Cow).
It's not illegal to transport it, it's illegal to transport and sell it.

You can buy Spotted Cow and bring it to Iowa. You can't buy Spotted Cow, bring it to Iowa, and then sell it.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
  • Informative
Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Well, I was wrong. For some reason I thought I looked into this a long time ago to see if it was actually true and had come to the conclusion that personal use transport was legal, but I guess not.

I live close to both Minnesota and Wisconsin and regularly shop in each state. I can't fathom how many times I've broken this law.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My guess is the reason for the sales is that people stocked up and now don't need more. Much like covid, selfish people over bought initially. Some probably don't really like the taste. Not my favorite as I'm a light beer guy. But I drink one each week to support

Having a light or IPA option would help for sure.
I feel like it basically is a light beer but I usually only drink IPA or stronger beers so I might be a bad person to ask.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Greetings all,

Wanted to spread the word that Ames Lager is becoming much more widely available but for some reason sales have dropped considerably in last couple of weeks. You can help by doing a couple of things:

1. Continue to purchase Ames Lager! It’s a huge help. West O is going to announce a sizable donation to We Will next week that will significantly impact our efforts with the portal opening on December 4th. Ames Lager is the only Iowa State branded beer whose proceeds actually go to NIL.
2. Remind your favorite beer/liquor store that Ames Lager is very much available year round and to contact their local distributor if they don’t have it.

I know Iowa State fans can and will rally to the cause so appreciate your support greatly!

-Brent
People might have stopped looking for it since early on it was hard to find. I'll check for it more often and do my part when I see it.

Reactions: brentblum

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
It's just not distributed enough. HyVee Dollar Fresh in my small town always has Swarm but no Ames Lager.

I'd drink it all the time if it wasn't a hassle to get it

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I bought a ton (like 12 six packs worth) the first month and am still going through inventory. But I’m getting low.
I'm in the same boat. I think I'm down to my last three so need to stock up soon.

I'm definitely more of an IPA guy for most of my consumption and I brew myself, but plan to make Ames Lager my "house beer" for the non ale types and when I want a lager. I still can't get it in my area, but next time in Des Moines I'll stock up.

Was good to see it at the stage door before the basketball game. I was a bit worried when I got one and there were only three left in the cooler, but shortly after they refilled the cooler.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Just bought a new six pack to refill on Sunday. Does remind me I had a Wisconsin friend that wanted some help locating some.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Wish there was a way to order some and get it delivered it to my house here on the east coast. Maybe there is I have no idea.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
2 of the 3 Hy-Vee's in Dubuque are carrying it and seem to always have some available since early September at least. I personally know the W&S manager at the other Hy-Vee that doesn't carry it. Huge Hawk fan and probably wouldn't ever allow it.

Can't find it anywhere else in town. Local liquor stores are a no-go. Fareway doesn't have it. Assuming big box stores (Walmart, Target etc.) wouldn't carry it regardless. Not sure if local convenience stores are carrying it, but feel like I've seen Swarm at various Kwik Stars and Casey's.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I was referring to shipping specifically. USPS doesn’t allow it. UPS does allow it but adult signature is required. I have done it without following the rules without issue but I don’t endorse it (publicly)

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I feel like it basically is a light beer but I usually only drink IPA or stronger beers so I might be a bad person to ask.
I have similar drink preferences to you. I liked Ames Lager fine enough, but it certainly didn't have me constantly checking stores after the 2 sixers I initially got ran out.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I have similar drink preferences to you. I liked Ames Lager fine enough, but it certainly didn't have me constantly checking stores after the 2 sixers I initially got ran out.
Right, if it’s on the shelf you’d buy it but not gonna drive around looking for it.

Reactions: stateofmind

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
You can still throw beer in checked luggage, right? Might need to do that for the BYU trip this weekend.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron