Altered Carbon

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Wasn't great, wasn't bad. It's an adult oriented show with high production values which is something I appreciate, but I felt some of the characters were a little cookie cutter in their presentation - overly compensating through aggression female cop and vengeance driven father were two that stood out in that respect.

I'm the type that is more apt to enjoy a show like Ozark or Narcos than Sci-Fi, so my opinion is obviously going to be a bit skewed.

I couldn't stand the female cop character but I think part of the problem was that she was a horrible actress.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I'm curious about the books, as well. I might have to check them out after I finish with the series
In my opinion, this is one of the rare instances where the movie/TV series was better than the book. I've only read the first in the series. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. The overly-explanatory and awkwardly risqué sex scenes were particulary bad. But, to each their own, I guess. They definitely carried that overt sexuality into the Netflix series, that's for sure!

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
For us SCI-FI starved folks, it is worth a watch.

The risque scenes to me were needed to emphasize how "sleeves" are viewed in this society.

I wish more background on the "world" would have been provided. What was the "war" about?

The hotel AI guy was probably the neatest character.

Some of the sets got tiring toward the end. The downfall of these shows to me is they constantly use the same sets over and over again for budget reasons, and anything inside a room never has a view outside, it makes it feel very claustrophobic.

The actor who played Ana did a fabulous job of making me think it was a older female in his body.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Watched it and loved it. Awesome concept. I loved the book and the show definitely does it justice. Love the way they captured the retro futuristic feel similar to blade runner.

Yeah, it looked like Blade Runner to me, so it piqued my interest. Unfortunately the same thing also caused my wife to reject it. I'll have to watch this one on my own I guess.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, it looked like Blade Runner to me, so it piqued my interest. Unfortunately the same thing also caused my wife to reject it. I'll have to watch this one on my own I guess.
It definitely has its roots in Blade Runner. The entire world evokes an homage to that film.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It definitely has its roots in Blade Runner. The entire world evokes an homage to that film.

Yeah, I'm pretty proud of my efforts to get my wife to watch ANY sci-fi and fantasy, but this one is going to be a hard sell to her. I'll probably love it though.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Just finished episode 7 - this show is awesome. This is an HBO-caliber show if they had just 1 or 2 A-list stars to the cast. This is much better than The Expanse on SyFy.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Just announced that Anthony Mackie (Falcon from Captain America & Avengers films) will be playing the role of the main character, Takeshi Kovacs. Joel Kinnaman played Kovacs in S1. For those that haven't seen the series, the premise of the show is that consciousness can be transferred from other bodies (called "sleeves" in the show) so people are pretty much immortal. That is why a character like Takeshi Kovacs, or any other character in the show, can be played by actors of various races, ethnicities, and even the opposite sex. It's a very cool premise and was done very well in Season 1.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ewed-season-2-new-star-anthony-mackie-1130243

Reactions: State43

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Just announced that Anthony Mackie (Falcon from Captain America & Avengers films) will be playing the role of the main character, Takeshi Kovacs. Joel Kinnaman played Kovacs in S1. For those that haven't seen the series, the premise of the show is that consciousness can be transferred from other bodies (called "sleeves" in the show) so people are pretty much immortal. That is why a character like Takeshi Kovacs, or any other character in the show, can be played by actors of various races, ethnicities, and even the opposite sex. It's a very cool premise and was done very well in Season 1.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ewed-season-2-new-star-anthony-mackie-1130243

Good news. I really enjoyed the first season. I went out and read the book series that it's based on, as well. There are so many places you can go in that particular universe, and it's not dependent on the actor. Kovacs can literally be played by anyone.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
I enjoyed the first season. I thought the acting left a little to be desired in the first couple episodes but it did improve as the season progressed.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good news. I really enjoyed the first season. I went out and read the book series that it's based on, as well. There are so many places you can go in that particular universe, and it's not dependent on the actor. Kovacs can literally be played by anyone.
On a scale of 1-10 how good are the books?

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
On a scale of 1-10 how good are the books?
I'd be interesting in hearing Mr Janny's assessment as well, especially if he's read the whole series.

I read the first book in the series, and though it was just OK. I'd probably give it a 6 out 10. My general feeling was the Netflix version was better. The parts of the first book that killed it for me were the awkward and overly descriptive sex scenes. Just seemed over-the-top raunchy, to the point where it came off as cheesy.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bump. Just Watched season 2. Pretty decent scifi. Good story. The humans are still all ******** but we have a new AI, "Dig 301", to go with Poe so that's good. Best characters in the show.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
Bump. Just Watched season 2. Pretty decent scifi. Good story. The humans are still all ******** but we have a new AI, "Dig 301", to go with Poe so that's good. Best characters in the show.
I actually liked season 2 better than season 1.