Allen vs. Mcgee

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I know Mcgee is coming off his best game ever and Allen is having a tough time right now but Mcgee should be getting a lot more minutes at this point. He's doing all the things Allen isn't like hustling, contesting shots, rebounding, shooting well, and being a leader.
If you don't believe me, watch a replay of the game last night and just focus on Allen for a few possessions. I guarantee you'll understand why he wasn't in at the end of the game.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Without Allen we lose to Kansas by 20. McGee is a great player but I think his best role is to provide a spark off the bench.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Without Allen we lose to Kansas by 20. McGee is a great player but I think his best role is to provide a spark off the bench.
Like I said, watch Allen for a few possessions last night. He has had way more games like last night than the Kansas game.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
McGee is playing well but he is not a PG at all. CA is a serviceable PG at least.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
McGee is playing well but he is not a PG at all. CA is a serviceable PG at least.
Definitely agree with you here. I'm just saying I think we'll see Mcgee eat into more of CA's minutes than anybody else's as the season goes on. It would be great to see consistent effort and shooting from CA the rest of the way though.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Next season will be interesting with the shifting of positions again once KL comes in at point.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Tyrus is perfectly suited to bring energy off the bench, he may not always bring points but he usually brings energy and effort.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
Is it just me or does Tyrus remind anyone else of Kantrail Horton. Stocky, full of energy, hustles and scraps, good shooter.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Tyrus is perfectly suited to bring energy off the bench, he may not always bring points but he usually brings energy and effort.
And I think one of the reasons that effort and energy has made such a difference lately is because of what he is replacing.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Could not disagree more.

Without Allen, we beat Kansas.

We were up double digits, and 4-5 times that game, Allen took a terrible shot with 25+ seconds to go on the shot clock. Gave them way too much time and killed our momentum.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Next season will be interesting with the shifting of positions again once KL comes in at point.

I don't really see a lot of shifting next year. KL will be the primary PG with Bubu next in. After that you have some combination of McGee, Clyburn, and Babb at the 2/3 spots. White, Booker, Gibson and Ejim in the post roles.

Right now, everyone is playing their correct role except Allen at PG, IMO but since he's gone next year, there shouldn't be as much shuffling.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Could not disagree more.

We were up double digits, and 4-5 times that game, Allen took a terrible shot with 25+ seconds to go on the shot clock. Gave them way too much time and killed our momentum.

Allen played pretty well in that KU game. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you have not noticed, our guards have the green light whether the shot clock is at 30 seconds or 5 seconds. If they have a good look and miss I'm not going to be to upset and obviously neither is Freddy. Allen has taken some questionable shots but every time he misses people hammer him for taking a bad shot.

I think he sat more last night do to his defensive effort. He's definitely not as involved on that end as he is on offensive end and gets lazy at times. Tyrus had the hot hand and that is why they stuck with him.

We will need Chris Allen down the stretch if we want to make the tourney.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Hard for one game to be an indicator, but I only saw CA take one questionable shot last night. Much better than previous games.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Hard for one game to be an indicator, but I only saw CA take one questionable shot last night. Much better than previous games.
He also didn't play as much and that is because of his effort on the defensive end.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
It doesn't matter who starts. What matters is who's on the court when the game's on the line, and Tyrus was there and making monster plays.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Could not disagree more.

I'd have to split the baby here. Without Allen in the first half ISU is not in position to win against Kansas. His play contributed quite a bit to the position ISU was in early in the game. Without Allen in the second half they just might have gotten it done. He jacked quite a few bad shots tightly covered and/or out of the flow of the offense in the second half (especially the last 10-15 minutes).

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
We don't have a point guard, no matter how you slice it. We have a point forward who doesn't have enough experience to excell in the Big 12, and often tries to be spectacular with bad results. We have a 2 guard with lots of ambition but not pg skills who only hustles when he feels like it, and takes way too many poor shots. And we have a walk on with a broken hand who actually makes the team offense run better but has defiencies as well. I doubt if KL is going to solve the problem. I'm hoping one of the freshmen or Sledge can do the job. Where is Naz Long ?

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I'd have to split the baby here. Without Allen in the first half ISU is not in position to win against Kansas. His play contributed quite a bit to the position ISU was in early in the game. Without Allen in the second half they just might have gotten it done. He jacked quite a few bad shots tightly covered and/or out of the flow of the offense in the second half (especially the last 10-15 minutes).
I agree with you here. I'm not always concerned about the jacked up shots Allen takes even though they are alarming. He really disrupts the flow of the offense when he is in though and most of the time that hurts us more.

Help Support Us

Become a patron