Air Duct Cleaning

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RedBlooded, Jun 5, 2020.

1. RedBlooded

RedBlooded Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +262 / 19 / -0
    Is it necessary? I have been seeing ads for it all over and I don’t think it’s ever been done in my house.

2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +41,583 / 2,279 / -260
    I had it done. Also had some light filter thingy put in there to supposedly kill the various nefarious airborne things. Didn't really notice a difference with allergies one way or the other.

3. BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Ratings:
    +14,379 / 507 / -5
    Give these guys a call, they do a great job. Do your research because a lot of these duct cleaning companies are hacks. They even open up your main and return line and clean it all out. 10/10 would recommend and their prices are reasonable.

http://www.gilliampowervac.com/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7,003 / 327 / -6
    When we had it done, it was a much bigger job that I expected. They had tools that would bang around all over the inside of the ducts in order to knock everything loose while it was being vacuumed into a big tank outside. I wish I had asked to see the tank before and after, just to see what they removed (and to look for any jewelry left there by previous owners).

5. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +3,514 / 243 / -7
    We had ours done when we bought our house over 6 years ago because the sellers had dogs and we had also found on our inspection they had neglected the HVAC systems so wanted to make sure we started out with clean air ducts. Can't remember what company it was because we scheduled it through Service Legends who installed the new furnace we were getting put in as part of our purchase agreement. Was pretty sad that the same disgusting furnace filter that was caked when we had the inspection done was still in the furnace nearly a month later when we took possession so was not surprised that for even a 10 year old HVAC system it was pretty much shot due to all the maintenance neglect it had seen. If you've never had your ducts cleaned it probably isn't a bad thing to do at least once just for your own peace of mind, especially if you have a lot of dust in your house.

I would recommend having your dryer vent cleaned out every few years through because you'll be amazed how much lint builds up that could be a potential fire hazard.

6. spierceisu

spierceisu Active Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Waukee
    Ratings:
    +441 / 30 / -2
    I had mine done by Supreme Air Duct Cleaning. They did a great job and even showed me before and after pictures of my ducts. I moved into a new construction house in 2014 and was still amazed at all of the crap in my ducts. I also had them do my dryer vent too. They did a great job!

7. NorthCyd

NorthCyd Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Ratings:
    +7,089 / 216 / -4
    It's unnecessary in most cases. The stuff that is in your ducts pretty much stays in your ducts. There is little to no evidence that it helps with anything unless you have mold, rodent problems, or you have buildup to the point it starts to restrict airflow. If you have those problems there are probably other underlying problems you need to address as well.

8. NodawayRiverClone

NodawayRiverClone Active Member

May 1, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +176 / 9 / -1
    Had it done a few years ago with the install of new furnace and AC unit, also the dryer exhaust. I figured the construction dirt alone from years ago would be worth getting rid of. They recommend doing it every year, but I haven't had it repeated, yet. They leave access tabs in the duct work after cutting into the sheetmetal. Cleaning device looks like a multi-tail whip that uses air pressure to thrash around in the ducts.