About the new logo, Johnny Orr, & Jack Trice

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Wrote a thing about the new Cyclone logo and how ISU can properly honor its heritage through design.

Does the new logo fit the bill? Really want to see the reaction of you good people here to the story. Let's discuss!

Some teaser images from the story:

Legacy7.jpg

Legacy6.jpg

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I don't like the new logo and it took me a while to figure it out. Instead of looking like a cyclone or tornado, to me it looks more like a whirlpool - in other words - what you see when it's all going down the drain. And sometimes making that unique sucking sound.

Hoping the Cyclone football program drops it - and also hope it stops sucking.

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
Great write up. I think my initial 'good' reaction has actually come down to more of a neutral feeling towards it. We can do better and you've provided a good synopsis on how.

• Agree
Reactions: cynile and srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Great write up. I think my initial 'good' reaction has actually come down to more of a neutral feeling towards it. We can do better and you've provided a good synopsis on how.
Agreed, didn't hate the logo when I saw it on Thursday, but didn't love it. Put that with the fact that Kagavi has made a better option all on his own, and we should/can do better.

I have a feeling that logo isn't going to stick, but that may be wishful thinking.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Pretty obvious that the updated Orr logo is way better than what the AD decided on. Also like the idea for a Trice commemoration on the helmet. Hopefully they decide to put Trice in the HOF and retire the # in 2019.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wrote a thing about the new Cyclone logo and how ISU can properly honor its heritage through design.

Does the new logo fit the bill? Really want to see the reaction of you good people here to the story. Let's discuss!

Some teaser images from the story:

Legacy7.jpg

My first thought when I saw the new logo was... why didn't they just use the old tornado logo, which is better?

Man this just drives it home.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Not only are your designs better but you have reasoning and history behind all decisions. The logo released last week had nothing.

The Trice sticker is an amazing idea.

The white helmet with the Orr cyclone and Trice sticker is absolutely outstanding and needs to find a way into the uniform set and branding guidelines.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
After some inquiries this past weekend, it appears many in the football program favored the Orr Cyclone redesign making an appearance on football helmets, but unfortunately had to adhere to the final decision of others who felt the new logo would be a better direction.

This was really frustrating to read. Sounds like we were close to doing the right thing and someone managed to screw it up. At the next football game can the people responsible that final decision be brought out on to the field to be publicly shamed?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
There is no doubt in my mind that the Orr Tornado polled as evoking a losing tradition, because Cyclone football pretty much sucked when we had that logo on the helmet. But do you know what cures that? Winning. Our team is getting better, our recruiting is getting better, and having that logo during an uptick in performance would eliminate any ill feelings it once held.

• Agree
Reactions: cynile

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
No doubt about it. Your designs ROCK, and are Sweet, and are Amazing. Yes they should use your stuff immediatley. Ill email coach for next year right now.