A very bad B1G West

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I posted in another thread the Massey composite shows Big 12 as the #1 conference, SEC just slightly behind, then Big Ten a distant third behind those two. That’s with three big ten teams in the top 6….so you know the rest of the conference is a steaming pile of $*** to be ranked as as distant 3rd.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yeah it was a weird little era there as KSU dipped, Nebraska continued to fade and everyone else was just average or bad.
Good summary.

Makes it extra-frustrating that ISU couldn't take advantage at least one of '04/'05.

But fans of a lot of the North teams that didn't win the division those years could make a similar claim, balanced mediocrity, so to speak. I suppose it feels more missed-opportunity to us than it would have to NU, CU, KSU during that period.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
2004 is the mark to beat:

TEAMCONFREGCCGBOWLFINAL
Colorado4-47-4L 42-3 (OU)W 33-28 (UTEP)8-5
Iowa State4-46-5W 17-13 (MIA-O)7-5
Nebraska3-55-6none5-6
Missouri3-55-6none5-6
Kansas2-64-7none4-7
Kansas State2-64-7none4-7
But most of the north did not have the resources the current Big 10 West has. They are getting over 50 mil per school the past few years. The talking heads prop them up and have enough money to get the best facilities, coaches, recruiting budgets etc... What was ISU's recruiting budget in the early 2000s compared to the Big 10 west the past few years?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
But somehow worth almost a 100 million per team. B1G is garbage
Thats what always surprises me. Is the SEC worth alot? Yes, the teams are all high level and the games are great. Big10 teams outside of the top 3-4 are as bad as any you will find, and play probably the least attractive form of football. Who wants Iowa/Wisconsin on TV this year?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I have been shot down for suggesting that notion.
They aren't kicking anyone out, at least without a better excuse than, "You don't make us enough money." Maybe, if there were some institutional control issues.

Again, imagine being Rutgers and getting booted out because, "You don't have enough value." Yet Pedo St. is still in the conference and looked upon as a gem. There is no way the Big 10 wouldn't get their asses sued off and lose the lawsuits. There has already been talk of anti-trust if they added more from the PAC, imagine if they started kicking teams out.

As I said in my earlier post, if the top teams decide that they need a power league, with no bottom feeders, they will leave their existing conference and form a super league. It avoids the pitfalls of kicking teams out of an existing conference for no other reason that money.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They aren't kicking anyone out, at least without a better excuse than, "You don't make us enough money." Maybe, if there were some institutional control issues.

Again, imagine being Rutgers and getting booted out because, "You don't have enough value." Yet Pedo St. is still in the conference and looked upon as a gem. There is no way the Big 10 wouldn't get their asses sued off and lose the lawsuits. There has already been talk of anti-trust if they added more from the PAC, imagine if they started kicking teams out.

As I said in my earlier post, if the top teams decide that they need a power league, with no bottom feeders, they will leave their existing conference and form a super league. It avoids the pitfalls of kicking teams out of an existing conference for no other reason that money.
If the losers ever get “kicked out” it will be more like you describe - the top 80% or so of each league will dissolve the conferences, then invite the best outside of the Big 10 and SEC to join.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I could see Rutgers getting shut out by iowa. Then it's whether iowa scores enough to cover which I think they do.

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It's been five years since Iowa last played Ohio State.
In those seasons, Iowa has had a 28-16 conference record. More than half of those wins have come against three teams.
During that time, they are 15-0 against Nebraska, Minnesota and Illinois. (Against every one else they are 13-16).
During that time, Iowa has losing seasons against Purdue (1-4), Northwestern (2-3) and Wisconsin (1-4). Even in a bad, bad, division, Iowa does not have a winning record against a majority of the Big 10 west teams.
And yet the head honcho can get paid $7 mil per, have racism, rhabado, easy schedule... It's a good gig if you can get it!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I posted in another thread the Massey composite shows Big 12 as the #1 conference, SEC just slightly behind, then Big Ten a distant third behind those two. That’s with three big ten teams in the top 6….so you know the rest of the conference is a steaming pile of $*** to be ranked as as distant 3rd.

I really like Sagarin for the conference stuff because they actually list the conferences with divisions by division.

1663601535435.png

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Thats what always surprises me. Is the SEC worth alot? Yes, the teams are all high level and the games are great. Big10 teams outside of the top 3-4 are as bad as any you will find, and play probably the least attractive form of football. Who wants Iowa/Wisconsin on TV this year?
The Hoks are already unwatchable.... they should not be allowed on tv, unless they are posting that the programming is a cure for insomnia.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As feared by us Twin Cities folk, Gophers have lost their top receiver for the year. Big blow since receiver is their most challenged position IMHO (good defense, great running game, average receivers, average QB). They were able to weather losing the Big 10 best running back last year but they were deep at RB and still scratched out 9 wins.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3GenClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
As feared by us Twin Cities folk, Gophers have lost their top receiver for the year. Big blow since receiver is their most challenged position IMHO (good defense, great running game, average receivers, average QB). They were able to weather losing the Big 10 best running back last year but they were deep at RB and still scratched out 9 wins.

Good god, Iowa is going to fall up hill right into the B1G title game.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good god, Iowa is going to fall up hill right into the B1G title game.

I think they are likely third behind Gophers and Badgers. Gophers have enough to beat the Hawks, starting with a pretty stout defense. Gophers dominated the stats last year (40 minutes time of possession etc) but gave up (of all things) a couple big pass plays to the Hawks and lost by five. Bad news is the now injured Autman-Bell had half the Gophers receiving yards.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron