8/10 weather

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The entire business is unable to operate due to something that is also out of the employer's control. They are also being punished for it since the business is not bringing in any money that day, and they still have expenses. I think the punishment is spread out pretty well. Employee still gets paid, but has to use PTO. Employee loses some money, but not an entire day's worth.

This is coming from someone who has had to use PTO for snow days. My past employer always gave us the option to make up the hours the rest of the week, or over the weekend, or use PTO for whatever we don't make up. I though that was a reasonable compromise.
Snow days generally don't take down an entire business for 2.5 days. That's usually isolated just to certain people who can't make it in to the business, while others still can and do. Then it makes more sense to me to spread it out. When literally nobody is capable of getting any work done, charging that back onto your own employees instead of just eating it (and maybe some aren't capable of eating that cost, which is a separate problem inof itself)? That's a s***ty way to treat your employees.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Snow days generally don't take down an entire business for 2.5 days. That's usually isolated just to certain people who can't make it in to the business, while others still can and do. Then it makes more sense to me to spread it out. When literally nobody is capable of getting any work done, charging that back onto your own employees instead of just eating it (and maybe some aren't capable of eating that cost, which is a separate problem inof itself)? That's a s***ty way to treat your employees.
Agree. The best thing might be to split it. Half PTO, half paid by the employer.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I believe my wife's employer did this, too. When they closed down for a day due to the outage, she had to use PTO. They could have eaten a day, but passed it off on her.

If I was the manager of a business (I'm self-employed with basically no full timer so its different now), I would eat a day like that for good will and move on. I know no work will get done that day anyhow and if you eat it, most will probably kick it up a gear for a bit when you mention in a week that you are behind because of the storm and ask for their help to catch up.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just got our insurance claim #!! Even though I have a “widow maker” in my tree, insurance will not cover to remove it. Maybe when they cut it down, I could prop it up against the house and then put it down against the deductible. Friends also told me that go with D2-D3 shingles as it lowered their premium.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wheatsfield Coop in Ames is still closed with a sign that says "No Power." :confused:

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017

Bring it on what have I got to lose. Already lost the tops of all my trees above 25 ft. Still have no electricity, and a 100' x 10' x 10' pile of branches in my ditch. There is a reason I pay for insurance, so I want my money's worth.

• Funny
Reactions: motorcy90

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
If I was the manager of a business (I'm self-employed with basically no full timer so its different now), I would eat a day like that for good will and move on. I know no work will get done that day anyhow and if you eat it, most will probably kick it up a gear for a bit when you mention in a week that you are behind because of the storm and ask for their help to catch up.

Agree, was always told the most important asset to any company is the employees and to keep it progressing you need to keep them happy and loving their job. Good will goes a long ways. Often times when my crews go above and beyond on long weekends, I’m there with them (assuming kids schedules workout) and I’m buying them donuts for breakfast and pizza for lunch out of my own pocket (I work at a place that I cannot expense it).

Reactions: Doc and BCClone

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Just got our insurance claim #!! Even though I have a “widow maker” in my tree, insurance will not cover to remove it. Maybe when they cut it down, I could prop it up against the house and then put it down against the deductible. Friends also told me that go with D2-D3 shingles as it lowered their premium.

Some neighbors and I are planning on renting a pull behind boom lift to take care of the widow makers on our block. Split the rental fee and it won't be too bad.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Agree, was always told the most important asset to any company is the employees and to keep it progressing you need to keep them happy and loving their job. Good will goes a long ways. Often times when my crews go above and beyond on long weekends, I’m there with them (assuming kids schedules workout) and I’m buying them donuts for breakfast and pizza for lunch out of my own pocket (I work at a place that I cannot expense it).

Anytime that we had a weekend shift, I ran that and bought donuts. We finished at noon so lunch was on your own. We would roll a second shift for about 4-6 weeks each year, I would show up at 9 am and then get out after shutting things down at 1 am. If a forklift driver fell behind, I would go out during their breaks and try to catch them up. Sometimes a little here and there would by a lot of loyalty and good will. I would hold a grill out every quarter. Brats and burgers, some potato salad or chips and beans. Would cost me only a hundred bucks but it was loved by everybody. I would tell management that lunch was 15 minutes longer today but I get more from a hundred bucks of food than you guys get throwing each person 50 bucks in clothes quarterly.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
This was just posted by the City of Ames on its Facebook page:
"Shout out to the mutual aid. We’ve received help from Algona, Denison, Cedar Falls Utilities, Webster City, Lehigh, Zoske from Cedar Falls, Ogden, and Glidden.
Today, outside crews have tripled the number of line crews in the field!"

Even so, there are portions of town being told it could be sometime next week before they get power back.