8/10 weather

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Kinda similar to snow storms. Most places I know require people to use PTO with them. Since they aren't able to make money, they kinda share the misery in that respect. Not a fun idea, but seems to be a common thing.
I totally understand that, however this situation seems to be a little bit different.. Lol I'm just salty about it I guess. My wife isn't even that mad about it. She said she'll get as close as she can to a full week and just take PTO for the rest.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I totally understand that, however this situation seems to be a little bit different.. Lol I'm just salty about it I guess. My wife isn't even that mad about it. She said she'll get as close as she can to a full week and just take PTO for the rest.

I guess I'm back to the concept it's incumbent on the business to provide you a way to work. If they can't do that through backup generators, remote access, etc., it shouldn't be held against you that you couldn't work. If you are ready, willing and able it should fall on them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Understandable, probably feels like people piling on in a crappy situation. Easier for a person to say what I did when I'm not in that situation. I would probably feel the same as you if I was in your shoes.

Reactions: Statefan10

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I’d feel the same way. At the very least, it seems like it would be a good way to gain some good will.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
So get this.. My wife's work lost power around 1 pm on Monday. Her employer told them that they were going to have to make up those few hours they missed. That was before people walked outside, saw the destruction, and realized the entire city was out of power.

Their building just got power this morning. Employer sent out a message to everyone saying they were required to come back in but they were also required to work their full hours for the week and any missed time would be charged to PTO. That's 2.5 days of work their entire building missed due to the whole city not having power because we got hit by a Midwestern style hurricane. WTF?

She usually has the ability to get work done outside the office remotely, but even that's impossible because we still don't have power.

What company?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So get this.. My wife's work lost power around 1 pm on Monday. Her employer told them that they were going to have to make up those few hours they missed. That was before people walked outside, saw the destruction, and realized the entire city was out of power.

Their building just got power this morning. Employer sent out a message to everyone saying they were required to come back in but they were also required to work their full hours for the week and any missed time would be charged to PTO. That's 2.5 days of work their entire building missed due to the whole city not having power because we got hit by a Midwestern style hurricane. WTF?

She usually has the ability to get work done outside the office remotely, but even that's impossible because we still don't have power.

Sounds like a ****** company to work for. Seems, at a minimum, they should get paid for the storm day in full. The other full days are at least debatable depending on how well the company is doing but jacking the employees for the storm day is petty ********.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Sorry I don't want to give away too much information.

Well, if its the big engineering one in CR, thats not company policy. So far its been up to managers to determine how to handle things.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Kinda similar to snow storms. Most places I know require people to use PTO with them. Since they aren't able to make money, they kinda share the misery in that respect. Not a fun idea, but seems to be a common thing.

I liked the way my agency handled snow days. If the office was closed except for essential personnel (some key peeps and the Colonel and front office) we all got paid on administrative level approved by the commander. Same if we were sent home early, the balance of that day was paid admin leave. If it was snowy but the office was not closed you could work from home if set up to do that or we could take personal leave to get paid.

Reactions: BCClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sounds like a ****** company to work for. Seems, at a minimum, they should get paid for the storm day in full. The other full days are at least debatable depending on how well the company is doing but jacking the employees for the storm day is petty ********.
That's the thing.. the company has treated their employees extremely well in the past. The good thing is my wife has a very good track record there and she's built up a ton of PTO, so she's not worried about having to only use a day.

Other people though that might not have that much PTO, I'd be furious. So for the future should you just bank a few days in case there's a catastrophic event that knocks everything out again?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's the thing.. the company has treated their employees extremely well in the past. The good thing is my wife has a very good track record there and she's built up a ton of PTO, so she's not worried about having to only use a day.

Other people though that might not have that much PTO, I'd be furious. So for the future should you just bank a few days in case there's a catastrophic event that knocks everything out again?

If you are in Cedar Rapids and the track record of floods every ten years at least, I would say that would be in your best interest. That town seems to have major issues on a regular basis.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
my employer said the same thing. they understand people had to fix their properties but that's not work's fault so you need to use PTO or make up the time. considering we're going on 3.5 days without power that seems odd, but i get it. someone emailed the boss and asked what to do and the boss said they could go to our iowa city location if they wanted to work because they weren't hit.
I could understand the reasoning behind having to use PTO due to personal property being damaged.. Like if your house floods and you have to take time off to fix it, that's just sometimes the way it is.. But this is entirely different lol. The entire town was decimated, lost all power, and their office lost power as well.

It's not like you could go home and put in hours. You literally couldn't work unless you went somewhere that had the ability to connect to wifi, which you'd then have to drive outside of about an hour's radius of CR.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If you are in Cedar Rapids and the track record of floods every ten years at least, I would say that would be in your best interest. That town seems to have major issues on a regular basis.
Yes, if you live near the river that wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I could understand the reasoning behind having to use PTO due to personal property being damaged.. Like if your house floods and you have to take time off to fix it, that's just sometimes the way it is.. But this is entirely different lol. The entire town was decimated, lost all power, and their office lost power as well.

It's not like you could go home and put in hours. You literally couldn't work unless you went somewhere that had the ability to connect to wifi, which you'd then have to drive outside of about an hour's radius of CR.

oh i get it. we agree. but i also understand the companies POV, that they cant make up that money, and if they're already running low on income due to covid being generous with free time off probably isn't feasible. like i said, my company said anyone could work from a different office and not use PTO. that kind of sucks but in their eyes they think they're being flexible.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
oh i get it. we agree. but i also understand the companies POV, that they cant make up that money, and if they're already running low on income due to covid being generous with free time off probably isn't feasible. like i said, my company said anyone could work from a different office and not use PTO. that kind of sucks but in their eyes they think they're being flexible.
Yeah it's understandable from the perspective that they're likely already making major changes due to COVID.. Just an overall tough situation. Terrible terrible time for something like this to happen.

Cysmik

Feb 25, 2012
Just got power and internet back for the first time since Monday when the storm hit. We are amongst the lucky ones with only a tree down away from the house and siding blown off. I haven't read what other people in Cedar Rapids have said but it's complete devastation here and apparently unless you were in the storm's path or heard from someone, nobody else truly knows how horrible it is. Trees/power lines on houses, on the streets, everywhere. No power in literally 3/4 of the city (was literally the entire city last night, some restored this morning). Limited grocery stores, home improvement stores are open due to no power. Even if they are open supplies are flying off the shelves. Lines are wrapping through the aisles because of limited to no manual cash only sales. People are running out of gas for their cars and chainsaws but no gas stations are open unless they have a generator or one of the few with generators. If they are open, the lines are at least 1.5 hours if the station itself doesn't run out of gas. Food is spoiling unless you have a way to keep it cool. Both hospitals sustained major damage. Very few stoplights are powered (not even blinking red), and are severely damaged (bent, broken, or just completely gone). Not asking for pity for us but just to spread the word for people who literally still cannot ask for help. There are many people in this city who don't even have the resources to move forward or even have a safe home to sleep in tonight (and I'm not exaggerating).

This is concerning to say the least. Say one were to take off and head that way to help out - what would be the most valuable thing I could show up with? I'm in the Des Moines area and have an old beater pickup that I could help haul stuff with, could bring some supplies like water or food or gas cans. I've got a little chainsaw that would be a challenge to get running. Just curious if it would be worthwhile to show up there and with what? Or would it be more useful to go to a more nearby town?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I haven't heard of people being forced to use PTO or make up time for inclement weather, but I'm sure it happens. Every place I've worked has basically taken the position of "if the office is open, you need to be here or use time off." Any time there is a snow storm or weather that prevents most people from safely making it to the office, the office will close and we are told to stay home, with no PTO needed. Though most people just work remotely in those cases for a day.