8/10 weather

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So does this officially quiet the whole "Stop sounding the sirens if there's no tornado" crowd?
If the sirens didn't go off in Ankeny, I would've had no idea this was coming at all. Hearing them allowed me to stop what I was doing (working), evaluate the situation and prepare properly for it as best I could.

And had they not gone off when they did, I'm not sure they would have at all, as power in my area was down before the storm really hit. They're supposed to go off for winds greater than 70 MPH... yeah, we definitely got that.

Reactions: Clonedogg and 06_CY

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If the sirens didn't go off in Ankeny, I would've had no idea this was coming at all. Hearing them allowed me to stop what I was doing (working), evaluate the situation and prepare properly for it as best I could.

And had they not gone off when they did, I'm not sure they would have at all, as power in my area was down before the storm really hit. They're supposed to go off for winds greater than 70 MPH... yeah, we definitely got that.
Yep, this was effectively a tornado, from a damage standpoint. People need to stop getting hung up on specific labels. They are sirens that exist to warn people of potential danger. That's really the only criteria that's needed for them to be used in my opinion.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yep, this was effectively a tornado, from a damage standpoint. People need to stop getting hung up on specific labels. They are sirens that exist to warn people of potential danger. That's really the only criteria that's needed for them to be used in my opinion.

yeah tornado sirens is a convenient label because it's the most common usage of them but " get to shelter siren " is probably more accurate.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
yeah tornado sirens is a convenient label because it's the most common usage of them but " get to shelter siren " is probably more accurate.
I vote for "GTFOH" Siren.

But yeah I don't see a purpose for different sirens. We'd be hearing a siren the same number of times, just heading two different ones for largely the same purpose instead of just...one. My understanding was that they will play it for likely danger ahead of time, then stop when the threat actually arrives, and then play again if the serious threat materializes.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Saw on the national news this morning that the derecho path was around 770 miles long. Crazy, strong storm system. Prayers to all that have been affected by this. We had minimal damage at my home in the QC, but tons of damage around like most in this storm's path.

• Friendly
Reactions: mj4cy

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I subscribe to Ron White's 2 heightened states of awareness POV:

#1 - Find a helmet!
#2 - Put on the f***ing helmet!

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I vote for "GTFOH" Siren.

But yeah I don't see a purpose for different sirens. We'd be hearing a siren the same number of times, just heading two different ones for largely the same purpose instead of just...one. My understanding was that they will play it for likely danger ahead of time, then stop when the threat actually arrives, and then play again if the serious threat materializes.
The issue is time is sometimes of the utmost importance. When you have one siren and use it more often it desensitizes people to it. How many people hear the siren and casually look outside or slowly mosey around to figuring out what is happening. That is fine if we are talking and extended warning for the threat. Earlier this year though there wasn’t time to do that. It was a get to your shelter place now situation. People are going to get hurt if we continue with this hey it’s an early warning system thing but don’t catch something until it is an immediate shelter situation.

My issue is less with the extra warning than the now lack of a shelter immediately warning.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The issue is time is sometimes of the utmost importance. When you have one siren and use it more often it desensitizes people to it. How many people hear the siren and casually look outside or slowly mosey around to figuring out what is happening. That is fine if we are talking and extended warning for the threat. Earlier this year though there wasn’t time to do that. It was a get to your shelter place now situation. People are going to get hurt if we continue with this hey it’s an early warning system thing but don’t catch something until it is an immediate shelter situation.

My issue is less with the extra warning than the now lack of a shelter immediately warning.
If you hear a siren and don't take it seriously, that's your own fault for being a f***ing dips***. Do we really need a separate siren just for those people?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Feel pretty lucky, no property damage and was only without power from about 3:40 to 9:20p in Grimes yesterday and plugged my fridge into my tailgate generator just in case it was a prolonged outage. Neighbor across the street had a lot of tree damage and some flashing off his soffit ripped off and just 2 blocks to the West of us looks like a war zone with the tree damage as I saw at least 2 streets blocked off because of down power lines. Judging by the FB pages this morning still a fair amount of people in town without power and internet so some of those who do have power probably will have to deal with not being able to work from home today until their internet is restored too. I have 4 support tickets assigned to me at work with people that haven't been back online since the storm passed so assuming they must be without power or internet still.

My folks live about 30 minutes west of me are without power as some trees snapped off just down the road between them and the neighbors and they are the end of the line for power on their road so makes me wonder how long they will be out till a REC crew makes it out. Said they had a lot of tree damage on their property, but nothing that hurt any buildings or fences fortunately. Headed out there later today to help with something and interested to see the storm damage as 1 tree with a 3-4 foot diameter apparently snapped off as well as a large hollow oak tree they tell me were the worst.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If you hear a siren and don't take it seriously, that's your own fault for being a f***ing dips***. Do we really need a separate siren just for those people?
I guess I’m confused am I supposed to get in my storm shelter or am I supposed to check out what’s happening. There seems to be confusion on what I’m supposed to do.

If I was supposed to go sit in my storm shelter when the sirens first went off then they shouldn’t go off an hour before the storm. I don’t have access to info really in my storm shelter.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I guess I’m confused am I supposed to get in my storm shelter or am I supposed to check out what’s happening. There seems to be confusion on what I’m supposed to do.

If I was supposed to go sit in my storm shelter when the sirens first went off then they shouldn’t go off an hour before the storm. I don’t have access to info really in my storm shelter.

The primary purpose of the sirens is for those who are outdoors. The first concern for them is getting into some sort of shelter. Then you find a TV or use your cell phone to identify what the warned threat is and adjust from there.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Had our huge tree fall onto our house. Chimney knocked off and fell through a different part of the house. No one was hurt fortunately.

I'm ******* done with Marshalltown.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

The sirens are alerting you to seek shelter. Seek shelter then monitor the situation after seeking shelter. You should have a plan that allows you to monitor NWS alerts to let you know when it's all clear. If you don't have a TV, use your cell phone, if that doesn't work get an AM radio.

I suggest reading up on how to properly react to a siren.

https://www.ready.gov/tornadoes

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Where are you getting this hour before thing? I cannot think of a single time in DSM where sirens went off more than, like, 15-20 minutes prior to threat arrival (unless the threat suddenly cut and missed the area, but at that time was tracking to hit). Even yesterday for me was about 15 mins or so before.

I don't get what's so hard about hearing a siren, evaluating what's happening and making a decision. That's how it's supposed to work (along with their other intention of "if you're hearing this and standing outside, go inside").

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Where are you getting this hour before thing? I cannot think of a single time in DSM where sirens went off more than, like, 15-20 minutes prior to threat arrival (unless the threat suddenly cut and missed the area, but at that time was tracking to hit). Even yesterday for me was about 15 mins or so before.

I don't get what's so hard about hearing a siren, evaluating what's happening and making a decision. That's how it's supposed to work (along with their other intention of "if you're hearing this and standing outside, go inside").
How about yesterday. The sirens went off at like 10 and the storm didn’t hit until 11.

Compare that to earlier this year and the sirens go off as a tornado is actively within a mile of my house. There were no warnings prior to this storm. Do you see my frustration?

One situation I’m supposed to just be preparing and the other I should have already been sheltered. My shelter location is a cupboard with the water heater that I barely fit in. I can’t run to it every time there is a severe thunderstorm.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How about yesterday. The sirens went off at like 10 and the storm didn’t hit until 11.

Compare that to earlier this year and the sirens go off as a tornado is actively within a mile of my house. There were no warnings prior to this storm. Do you see my frustration?

One situation I’m supposed to just be preparing and the other I should have already been sheltered. My shelter location is a cupboard with the water heater that I barely fit in. I can’t run to it every time there is a severe thunderstorm.

i mean it’s weather. They can’t tell you exactly what to do when. You have to use some judgement.

the sirens are a tool. Use them as you see fit. Frankly, most of the time I don’t do anything when they go off because usually I can look out the window and look on the radar.

yesterday I looked out the window and got my ass back to the basement. It wouldn’t have mattered if the sirens were going or not.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

also yesterday they went off early because they knew exactly what was coming and that we were all going to get hit. It was literally like a land hurricane. With tornados they don’t know if or where they will hit.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

The siren went off in Ankeny at ~10:45 and the storm was full tilt around 11.

Tornados are tough because they show up on pretty short notice, just a few minutes time. I got sirens warning me of that tornado ahead of time, but at that time the threat was over Johnston. Had it just popped up over Ankeny, there probably would've been less notice. I don't know what to tell you there, they can't predict the exact location of a tornado ahead of time. That being said, tornados generally aren't at the front of a storm. If it's already storming out and the siren begins, one would think there's probably an advanced reason for it.

Again, like, this isn't complicated. If a siren goes off, there's probably a good reason for it. They aren't overused for every little storm.

Reactions: cstrunk

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I live in north Ankeny, and still no power. We have Consumer Energy for our provider here. I’ve never been in a storm like this before. I was stuck at the Kum&Go right off the Huxley exit. It was so bad when I got there I couldn’t get out of my truck to get inside. The truck was really rocking from the wind and I could barely see in front of me. Power poles are snapped off from Alleman up to Huxley on highway 69.