8/10 weather

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I live on 5Th ave West. My tree fell on all three of my cars (all totaled) and destroyed my roof. Electric hookup ripped off my house, and I won’t have power for two weeks. I also am the general manager of the peanut pub. Which is now condemned after today. So it’s been a pretty solid Monday.
View attachment 74201

Thinking about you my man. Keep your head up

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I live on 5Th ave West. My tree fell on all three of my cars (all totaled) and destroyed my roof. Electric hookup ripped off my house, and I won’t have power for two weeks. I also am the general manager of the peanut pub. Which is now condemned after today. So it’s been a pretty solid Monday.
View attachment 74201
Dude... genuinely sorry to hear that. That’s awful AF.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
For those who haven’t heard of this type of storm before, it hit the BWCA back in 1999. I had some friends out on the water during that time. They have wild stories of trying to figure out where to shelter.
It was one of the few times the USFS allowed chainsaws to get people out. To this day, the central to east BWCA looks very different from the west. The trees are noticeably shorter.

June of '98 one went through DSM. Worst damage on north side. Was living in that area back then, now in Urbandale. I would say after experiencing both, '98 was worse.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
For those who haven’t heard of this type of storm before, it hit the BWCA back in 1999. I had some friends out on the water during that time. They have wild stories of trying to figure out where to shelter.
It was one of the few times the USFS allowed chainsaws to get people out. To this day, the central to east BWCA looks very different from the west. The trees are noticeably shorter.
Created a tinderbox for some of the biggest fires in BWCAW. Cavity Lake fire and Ham Lake fire if I remember correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Our garage and front door got completely busted.. Rest of the neighborhood is in very bad shape. House in front of us had half of their roof ripped off their house.

No power since the early afternoon yesterday.. Using my phone as a hotspot to work however cell service is pathetic. Luckily the wife and I have some non-perishable food stocked away from the first few weeks of quarantine, but we're going to lose a few hundred dollars worth of beef in a freezer.

Been an absolutely crazy 2020 so far.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Still without power in Ames, they said about 25% has power currently.
We don't have it either yet. Am on campus in my building to charge up and get a few things done. Officially I am working from home yet.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
View attachment 74201

Definitely a rough Monday bud. Hope things turn out the best they can. Nobody should have that.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I fixed the shop roof good enough for now until things slow down and I can get it replaced. But have 1 full tree destroyed and 4 half trees destroyed. Currently running power to the house with the race hauler's generator.

Numerous barns and grain bins in my area are flattened. 1/2 mile down the road a shop just like mine is completely gone but everything that was in it is still sitting there. Neighbors gazebo was in my yard in pieces.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Got my power back on Ames. Almost exactly 24 hours after in went out. WooHoo!

Hoping those that don't have it yet get it back soon. It sucks without it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Sorry if this has been discussed, but was this forecasted? Was there something about this particular size of storm that causes a sudden formation? I don't follow the weather religiously, but try to check in daily and I don't recall seeing this forecast.

Sorry to hear about so much property damage. I'm south of Des Moines and while the wind blew it was nowhere near what it was for those of you north of me.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Sorry if this has been discussed, but was this forecasted? Was there something about this particular size of storm that causes a sudden formation? I don't follow the weather religiously, but try to check in daily and I don't recall seeing this forecast.

The NWS had forecast the greater likelihoods of severe weather being in eastern Iowa and Illinois, but this was always a possibility.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So does this officially quiet the whole "Stop sounding the sirens if there's no tornado" crowd?
No it still needs to be some sort of different warning system for pre-warning type stuff. There should be a heads up type of warning that maybe cycles on and off plus an immediate get to your basement type siren.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No it still needs to be some sort of different warning system for pre-warning type stuff. There should be a heads up type of warning that maybe cycles on and off plus an immediate get to your basement type siren.
I propose 7 different levels of pre-warning, followed by the warning and then 2 different post-warnings.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron