8/10 weather

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Lost about 50% of half my trees.

Ive noticed a lot of pictures like this with the portion of the tree being sheared off and limbs down. Good thing there’s a drought going or this could have been an even worse disaster if the ground was more saturated.

Reactions: agcy68

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
Bricktowne apartments in north Ankeny had quite a bit of damage. The damage always sucks but it was refreshing to see the residents come together for cleanup Bricktowne 2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Angie and SaraV

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
We have a Bradford pear (non fruit bearing). Seventy MPH winds seems to be the max that it can handle. I can count the number of high wind storms we have had over the years based off the remnants of major limbs that have broken off. I haven't seen first hand damage of the results from this storm but from what I am told it sounds like this one might have been the final blow.
Funny you mention that, it was a bradford pear. Snapped right off at the base.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Watched it on the deck at my job site on Lake Panorama. It was unreal. On the drive From Panora to Ames I saw countless trees down, trees through several houses, a collapsed barn, several pole sheds with steel missing, a work trailer on its side, a travel trailer still attached to a truck on its side, several crumpled grain bins, a grain bin wrapped around a tree, a semi tipped sideways into the awning of the gas station at the 141/Ogden exit, and an overturned semi in the middle of the road south of Ogden. On top of that, almost every corn and bean field south of Ogden was partially to almost completely flattened.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Holy ****.... nastiest storm I’ve ever seen. We were stuck on 380 near 33 ave. Semi tipped over and then was bing pushed by the wind across the lanes.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Watched it on the deck at my job site on Lake Panorama. It was unreal. On the drive From Panora to Ames I saw countless trees down, trees through several houses, a collapsed barn, several pole sheds with steel missing, a work trailer on its side, a travel trailer still attached to a truck on its side, several crumpled grain bins, a grain bin wrapped around a tree, a semi tipped sideways into the awning of the gas station at the 141/Ogden exit, and an overturned semi in the middle of the road south of Ogden. On top of that, almost every corn and bean field south of Ogden was partially to almost completely flattened.
My dad's farm ground is south of Ogden. I guess we'll see how much crop he has left. Really difficult day today.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
2020 can go **** itself at this point. As if being stuck at home for the past 5 months wasn’t bad enough, now we have to do it without the kids having their iPad games or TV to watch. Way to drive us all insane. Pretty sure this is how empires fall.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
You’d probably be ok in your car even if you contacted a power line. But NEVER try to get out of your car while contacting a line. Happens once in a while with tall equipment. Stay put and wait for help.
Good advice.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
You’d probably be ok in your car even if you contacted a power line. But NEVER try to get out of your car while contacting a line. Happens once in a while with tall equipment. Stay put and wait for help.

Good advice. To go a step further, sometimes the vehicle in contact with the power line can catch fire. So now you could be burned alive. If it comes down to it, your last resort is to exit the vehicle by JUMPING out of it as far as you can while keeping your feet together and not falling down. Hopefully this prevents you from becoming an electrical ground from the vehicle to the ground. Assuming you survive the jump (DON'T separate your feet), the ground surface itself may be electrified, especially if wet. So, with your feet still together, you have to shimmy across the ground to get far enough away to be safe.

Again, this is only a last resort only if you MUST exit the vehicle. Otherwise wait until help has arrived and can confirm that power to the line has been cut.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Luck to not have any damage, but haven't really examined the roof yet except from ground level. My part of Waukee/WDM didn't get hit as hard as places even just a little more north.

Marshalltown Speedway got slammed.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Luck to not have any damage, but haven't really examined the roof yet except from ground level. My part of Waukee/WDM didn't get hit as hard as places even just a little more north.

Marshalltown Speedway got slammed.

Saw that too. My race shop has roof damage. I think I can bend the metal back down and refasten it for the time being.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I thought west central Iowa was bad but the DSM metro looks awful. Hopefully the death toll is zero. Property can always be replaced.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Still no power in Waukee after 5 plus hours. Anybody starting to get theirs restored?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
My 85 year old Dad lives in Story City. He called me and said that was the worst storm he has ever been through. He couldn’t hardly talk he was so freaked out. Lots of damage in town but not to his house.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Family friend had their entire farmstead blown down. House is standing, but sounds like its leaking. Outside of Palo.

Talked with Dad, struggling to get reception. Sounds really bad in Linn and Jones county.