8/10 weather

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Well we just got a new roof, siding and gutters so here we go.

I had a new roof put on not too long ago. I don’t think it’s quite done by me yet, but close, so I haven’t been able to survey potential damage yet, but I don’t see anything in the yard that indicates roof damage.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Waiting for the weather geeks to explain this. Last I checked (about 8am), there was a 50% chance of rain. By 11am, all hell was breaking loose.

Only reasonable explanation is the anger of the college football gods. I imagine Pollard being on a Big 12 AD conference call, they take the vote to postpone the season, and then BLAMO.

P.S. Yes, I know that AD's probably don't vote on postponing the season. This is just what I am imagining.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Sounds like 75k Alliant customers and 70k MidAmerican customers without power.
Here in Waukee, we’ve been without power for almost 2 hrs now. We’ve had similar storms over the past 5 years we’ve live here and never more than a light flicker.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
In Ankeny our neighbor lost a 30 footer in his back yard and a section of shingles. The tree somehow fell right into his back yard and don’t hit anyone’s fence or house. My wife said there’s some siding trim gone from our house but that’s it.

The weird part is my neighbor lost that big healthy tree and our play set and trampoline didn’t move.

Reactions: enisthemenace

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Friend in NE Ames just called. They have 23 trees down. Holy Crap !!! Thankfully everyone safe. Son's house has a tree through a shed. Daughters house has a tree on the house. UGH !!!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sounds like 75k Alliant customers and 70k MidAmerican customers without power.
Here in Waukee, we’ve been without power for almost 2 hrs now. We’ve had similar storms over the past 5 years we’ve live here and never more than a light flicker.

Not making light of the storm (just Alliant), but I've known thousands of Alliant customers that have lost power on 70 degree calm days in June. Not sure what their problems are, but they have a poor track record.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I'm about 10 miles south of Madison, WI... hoping the worst of this line slips just south of us. Waiting game now as it rolls eastward.

Crazy pictures all around.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm in Indianola and while the wind blew we aren't seeing near the damage those of you north of here are seeing. This felt alot like that lunchtime storm that popped up a few years ago that had such wild straight-line winds.