2022 Stock Market

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Do they have another evolution in them? I don’t think so.
They said they are essentially limited in their growth due to so many competitors now. I think maybe in a recent earnings call maybe. Which I guess explains the poor results

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Didn't you hear from CW and Blum - Netflix is the future of sports man and going to be the Big 12's big time media partner down the road.

LOL still can't get over that...what a horrible take.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

A streamer jacking up rates despite having a fairly low quality library, not including 4k in those rates (standard on other, cheaper streamers), and having built a reputation for canceling their original series early in unsatisfying ways?

Yeah, I'd be pretty bearish on their future.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I put some money into the market today. Just chasing some yield. Fixed income still looks anemic other than Ibonds. Some body has always willingly taken the other side of my trades:)

Reactions: Clonedogg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A streamer jacking up rates despite having a fairly low quality library, not including 4k in those rates (standard on other, cheaper streamers), and having built a reputation for canceling their original series early in unsatisfying ways?

Yeah, I'd be pretty bearish on their future.

Once Disney set up shop and pulled their content it was always going to be downhill for Netflix. Netflix will soon be pushing ads along with jacking up their rates.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Didn't you hear from CW and Blum - Netflix is the future of sports man and going to be the Big 12's big time media partner down the road.

Netflix has been dipping its toes into sports lately, though not live yet. They may get in the game eventually. Its a great way to build subscribers.

Amazon or Apple seem more likely as new potential partners though as both are actively seeking this content.

The streaming market for sports is interesting. You don't necessarily have to have all of a conference's content or even all of the highest rated content, just enough to keep people subscribed. You could have amazon, apple, netflix all on board, so long as there's enough spread around that basically everyone is forced to subscribe to all 3 each month. Sucks for the consumer, but makes money for the streamer and the conference.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007

I don't believe we ever referenced Netflix as the likely option. Amazon and Apple are most certainly going to be involved in sports. I don't know how that's such a horrible take and putting them as a possible destination for Big 12 content down the road.

From last week: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/app...ckage-could-bring-big-player-into-sports.html

From after we originally brought up this topic: https://www.nfl.com/news/amazon-prime-video-to-be-exclusive-tnf-home-starting-in-2022

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I was a dumb ass. Cancelled Netflix last month. Didn't sell my position. Got out at $401.74 yesterday. One of my rules I try to stick to is trying buy things you can understand or have ownership and can see what is going on. I broke my own rule.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Good opportunity to buy the dip for sure...
I've been shoveling money into the market for the last few years, big chunks (to me) every month. It's done well because most everything has done well. The kicker is now we need cash for a couple of big ticket items. I've got enough to cover 3/4 of it, but would need to sell something to cover the other 1/4. Just my luck that I've never had to sell anything to have access to cash, but the instant I do the market starts to slide!

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
I was waiting for one more push up to rotate some funds around. Of course I was waiting for one more push down March of 2020 too.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Another 1.5 units for DIS
And .5 for Berkshire B.

I have been waiting for value and plan to purchase continually through July at 3 units a month.

most towards index funds specific stock like above and real estate funds.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I’ve been buying bitcoin when it gets to $40-$45k because we hadn’t had a stock market correction like this in awhile. Wanted to diversify anyway but now looking like a shift back to the market to capitalize on this dip.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m kinda crying now. Looked at GMVD. Back in December I was cycling it up and down for 10% little hits every week or two. Last sale was 2.35 or so area. Went down under 2.00 again and I thought maybe I should and lost interest since it ground down to like 1.60. Just saw it broke 6.00 a couple days ago. That blows.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
What are your practices for buying on the way down?

I've seen a method to buy that looks like...
5% market drop use 10% buying funds
10% drop use 20%...
20% drop use 50%...

Or for every 2% drop use 5% of your funds to buy, more of a dollar cost average.

Any other methods out there or pros and cons of the above?

Reactions: keepngoal