2022 Recruiting/Transfer Class

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
If and likely when AJ green transfers in.. Who are the guards that are going to be left out of minutes? We likely play 3 guards for most of the game. Meaning we have 120 minutes to allocate. 30-35 minutes of that is AJ Green. So we have 85-90 minutes across 6 guards.

Williams - 20 mpg
Holmes - 20 mpg - 38 mpg last year
Gabe - 20 mpg - played 30 last year
Grill - 20 mpg - played 24 last year
King - 5 mpg
Lipsey - 3 mpg

Could play a lot of 4 guards in the non-con to give Kunc a break. 4 spot before King is eligible:

Jaz - 23 mpg - 22 mpg last year
Watson - 11 mpg
small ball guard - 6 mpg

5 position pre King:

Osun - 22 mpg - 30 mpg last year
Ward - 12 mpg - 20 mpg last year
Jones - 3 mpg - 12 mpg last year
Kunz - 3 mpg

4 spot after King returns is where I just have no clue.. You have 6 guards, 2 stretch 4's and 2 centers who are all going to want tons of PT. It's nice to be able to practice 5 on 5 regularly but want to know everyone's thoughts on minute allocation.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If and likely when AJ green transfers in.. Who are the guards that are going to be left out of minutes? We likely play 3 guards for most of the game. Meaning we have 120 minutes to allocate. 30-35 minutes of that is AJ Green. So we have 85-90 minutes across 6 guards.

Williams - 20 mpg
Holmes - 20 mpg - 38 mpg last year
Gabe - 20 mpg - played 30 last year
Grill - 20 mpg - played 24 last year
King - 5 mpg
Lipsey - 3 mpg

Could play a lot of 4 guards in the non-con to give Kunc a break. 4 spot before King is eligible:

Jaz - 23 mpg - 22 mpg last year
Watson - 11 mpg
small ball guard - 6 mpg

5 position pre King:

Osun - 22 mpg - 30 mpg last year
Ward - 12 mpg - 20 mpg last year
Jones - 3 mpg - 12 mpg last year
Kunz - 3 mpg

4 spot after King returns is where I just have no clue.. You have 6 guards, 2 stretch 4's and 2 centers who are all going to want tons of PT. It's nice to be able to practice 5 on 5 regularly but want to know everyone's thoughts on minute allocation.
That's the worst PT projection I've ever seen posted.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Williams - 25 mpg
AJG - 34 mpg
Gabe - 25 mpg
Kunc - 22 mpg
Osun - 28 mpg

Holmes - 25 mpg
Ward - 12 mpg
Grill - 15 mpg
Tre King - 14 mpg

Tre King + Freshmen - Wildcards
Bob Jones - Emergency post

I do think King will for sure contribute in some capacity when eligible but him not being able to play until 2nd semester makes him a bit of an unknown at this point.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Williams - 25 mpg
AJG - 34 mpg
Gabe - 25 mpg
Kunc - 22 mpg
Osun - 28 mpg

Holmes - 25 mpg
Ward - 12 mpg
Grill - 15 mpg
Tre King - 14 mpg

I do think King will for sure contribute in some capacity when eligible but him not being able to play until 2nd semester makes him a bit of an unknown at this point.

I need to see MASSIVE improvement from Gabe before I allocate him more minutes.. He may be the only Big 12 starter from 2021/22 to have a negative BPM on Torvik..

I kind if agree that Caleb Grill is likely the candidate to see his role reduced the most. Which stinks because I love his style of play.. Just needs to get more consistent from 3

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't know about minute allocation but the top guys would be
Green
Holmes
Gabe
Jaz
Osun

With Williams, Grill, Ward as the main backups until King is eligible and then they go 9 deep.

Reactions: t-noah

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Williams - 25 mpg
AJG - 34 mpg
Gabe - 25 mpg
Kunc - 22 mpg
Osun - 28 mpg

Holmes - 25 mpg
Ward - 12 mpg
Grill - 15 mpg
Tre King - 14 mpg

124 minutes of guard PT. Think we go small ball for 4 mpg? in the Big 12? Osun/Ward at the 5 plus 4 guards?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Williams - 25 mpg
AJG - 34 mpg
Gabe - 25 mpg
Kunc - 22 mpg
Osun - 28 mpg

Holmes - 25 mpg
Ward - 12 mpg
Grill - 15 mpg
Tre King - 14 mpg

I think this is pretty close, but I do think Tre King will eventually overtake Kunc's minutes.

As for the freshmen, I think Grill is going to have to show a lot more consistency to hold off E King or Watson to maintain his minutes. Lipsey just has too many guys infront of him to get consistent minutes next season.

• Winner
Reactions: Jkclone15

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think this is pretty close, but I do think Tre King will eventually overtake Kunc's minutes.

As for the freshmen, I think Grill is going to have to show a lot more consistency to hold off E King or Watson to maintain his minutes. Lipsey just has too many guys infront of him to get consistent minutes next season.
I don't see anyway he overtakes Kunc in minutes

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I need to see MASSIVE improvement from Gabe before I allocate him more minutes.. He may be the only Big 12 starter from 2021/22 to have a negative BPM on Torvik..

I kind if agree that Caleb Grill is likely the candidate to see his role reduced the most. Which stinks because I love his style of play.. Just needs to get more consistent from 3
Gabe and Grill getting less minutes would be a good sign.

Reactions: cyclones12321

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Williams - 25 mpg
AJG - 34 mpg
Gabe - 25 mpg
Kunc - 22 mpg
Osun - 28 mpg

Holmes - 25 mpg
Ward - 12 mpg
Grill - 15 mpg
Tre King - 14 mpg

This looks close to right to me. I think Grill's minutes will suffer a bit this year, I'd guess he'd be closer to 10 mpg and Williams as the starting PG will get most of the extra 5. I was under the impression that Tre King will be better than Kunc, but I understand if you want to see it to believe it.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
With a true rim protector I think King gives more scoring punch at the 4, but we'll have to see. Regardless this team's biggest strength is going to be depth.

*With AJ Green

Without him the offense is limited. Either way I'm glad to have gotten older, longer and better at ball handling this off season.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
With a true rim protector I think King gives more scoring punch at the 4, but we'll have to see. Regardless this team's biggest strength is going to be depth.
Jaz is by far the better shooter and is just an intelligent player that does a lot of little things. Plus he has played 4 years in a major conference. Tre King has only played for an ok team in the OVC and wasn't really an efficient offensive player at that level. I could be proven wrong, but I am just not seeing the hype with that kid. Think he will be a nice piece off the bench but not expecting him to be a great scorer unless he shows he can knock down shots.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Exactly we could possibly have two platoons constantly bringing tenacious defense giving opponents no breaks and with aj green a better scoring option then we had last year

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Jaz is by far the better shooter and is just an intelligent player that does a lot of little things. Plus he has played 4 years in a major conference. Tre King has only played for an ok team in the OVC and wasn't really an efficient offensive player at that level. I could be proven wrong, but I am just not seeing the hype with that kid. Think he will be a nice piece off the bench but not expecting him to be a great scorer unless he shows he can knock down shots.
People extremely close to the BB program said King was our best big last year.
I like Jaz too, but I expect a 50/50 minute split between the two.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Gabe played 31 minutes a game last year. While I think he's still a favorite (not a lock) to start this year, I see his minutes and usage coming down some with our added depth. Hence why I have his projected minutes at 25. Holmes will be a key contributor off the bench and some of that will come at the expense of Gabe's role.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
People extremely close to the BB program said King was our best big last year.
I like Jaz too, but I expect a 50/50 minute split between the two.
Big as in 5? I can believe that. Not that Jaz is all world or anything but he is a winner, has been in the system and played at this level, and provides shooting and I think is a better passer than King.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Chris, said King was our best big shortly after he started practicing.

Reactions: Cyclad