2022 Recruiting/Transfer Class

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I've seen this a couple time - I don't think Holmes is a PG, at least not in TJ's system. I think Green is likely the backup PG, unless Lipsey forces his way onto the court.
Agree.
I’ll be pleased if he’s a good enough combo in the sense he makes the backup pg job easier. In other words, not putting a guy like Jackson out there with 1/2 another guy that can handle like we did last year.
Also benefits for Williams- Hunter had a large load in that regard.

But hopefully very rarely the actual pg

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
He's going to take it all the way to the withdrawal deadline and there's absolutely no reason not to. He's a got a workout scheduled with the Bucks for after the combine already.
He's really going for it, and why wouldn't he? Unlike Kris Murray who turned down an offer to the combine, to be the go-to-guy next season at Iowa, AJG already has post-combine workouts with NBA teams. Starting to think that he is 99.9% NOT wanting to play in college at all, much less at ISU. And that's fine, too. Unless someone says he needs to improve a lot in this, this, and that, he's full steam ahead.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I am both excited by and already tired of the amount of conversation around which 3 of Williams, Green, Kalscheur, and Holmes will start. I'll just focus on the fact that we'd have 4 players capable of playing starter level minutes at the guard spots if AJ commits.
Id rather have that convo than the NIL one or even worse, the Prohm era ones where we talk about why nobody wants to play here

Jul 17, 2017
Ankeny, IA
Food for thought. I know you can't compare apples to apples because of the competition differences but look at the following:
21-22 game 1 starters avg 44.7 PPG, 5 bench players 23.1 PPG equals 67.8 PPG
22-23 upcoming 10 players last averaged 99.4 PPG assuming we have AJG
Considering the superior experience, length & athleticism we will have this upcoming season, the team has the potential to be much better than last year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Food for thought. I know you can't compare apples to apples because of the competition differences but look at the following:
21-22 game 1 starters avg 44.7 PPG, 5 bench players 23.1 PPG equals 67.8 PPG
22-23 upcoming 10 players last averaged 99.4 PPG assuming we have AJG
Considering the superior experience, length & athleticism we will have this upcoming season, the team has the potential to be much better than last year.

The really crazy thing is, we were actually a really experienced team last year. That experience just wasn't together or at isu. The fact that this group is even seasoned bodes well. Makes it easier to maintain culture.

Jul 17, 2017
Ankeny, IA
After making the mathematical adjustments for the 21-22 team & 22-23 team to have played the same minutes, the upcoming 22-23 team would have averaged 76 PPG. So they have a 8.2 PPG advantage. Look how much better our bench will be this coming year.

Reactions: NENick

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
The fascination/optimism with Grill who is an average at best bench player just astounds me.
I think optimism always follows for most people when a guy works his butt off on defense and has the coaching staff's confidence,,, & that he competes the full time he's on the floor, doing what he's supposed to despite some weaknesses.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've always wondered how those percentages can be figured in a case like this. Can't be based on some mathematical data, so who puts a number on it? Just funny to me, that's all.
Oh these numbers from me aren’t based off of anything but opinion on what I’ve heard lol. Nothing math related about em.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
The fascination/optimism with Grill who is an average at best bench player just astounds me.
Grill might be more of a contributor on a team with a legitimate inside scoring threat. He might thrive as a spot up shooter with an inside-outside ball movement.

Opponents didn't have to respect last year's inside scoring options. Hopefully it will be a different story next year with the upgraded front court talent. I'm also assuming that Kyle Green will play a more prominent role with front court players now that D-Rob has moved on. He was typically very effective with what he had to work with for inside play at UNI. If a true inside game can be developed, Grill in addition to all of the wings will be getting better looks.