2022 Recruiting/Transfer Class

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Question for those obsessed with Enaruna. Do you honestly think the season would have turned out better if he would have got more playing time?
I'm not obsessed with Enaruna, and I'm certainly not going to criticize TJ, but this was one of the more odd seasons when it comes to lineups.
-Enaruna started 24 games, got pulled and was down to a couple minutes per game, then would start NCAA tournament games.
-Tre Jackson had consistent bench minutes dwindled down to zero for multiple games, while Walker took those minutes, then Jackson plays meaningful minutes in the tournament, and Walker gets zero.
-The whole Gabe not starting in the sweet 16. I haven't heard the story there.

As fans, we see 80 minutes per week of these guys, which is about 5-10% of what the coaches deal with, and Otz drained every bit of potential out of this team, so I'm not about to criticize. However, you can't deny it's been an odd season of changes. Especially compared to what we're used to seeing from most college teams, and from our previous coaches.

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I'm not obsessed with Enaruna, and I'm certainly not going to criticize TJ, but this was one of the more odd seasons when it comes to lineups.
-Enaruna started 24 games, got pulled and was down to a couple minutes per game, then would start NCAA tournament games.
-Tre Jackson had consistent bench minutes dwindled down to zero for multiple games, while Walker took those minutes, then Jackson plays meaningful minutes in the tournament, and Walker gets zero.

As fans, we see 80 minutes per week of these guys, which is about 5-10% of what the coaches deal with, and Otz drained every bit of potential out of this team, so I'm not about to criticize. However, you can't deny it's been an odd season of changes. Especially compared to what we're used to seeing from most college teams, and from our previous coaches.
I'll add, to TJ's credit, it never felt like these guys quit. Enaruna could have shut down and said the hell with it, but he must have been doing something right to be able to come back and start. Tre always seemed committed, and Jones and Conditt gave full effort no matter their situation.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I'm not obsessed with Enaruna, and I'm not certainly not going to criticize TJ, but this was one of the more odd seasons when it comes to lineups.

Those who tell you just questioning is being critical are those who don't want any questions asked.........period.

The thing with Walker and Jackson during the season was a little different, however for me the biggest question is why R. Jones played so much against a veteran finesse team like Miami. Finesse is the last thing Mr. Jones is.

I would think Enaruna would have matched up better.

However hindsight is always 20/20 and who knows what would have happened. But I do think with his ability to score from all over the floor in comparison to R. Jones, and being a little quicker might have served ISU better against a team like Miami. You could tell they weren't at all concerned about Jones or Conditt by their doubling of Hunter and IB all game.

Or maybe it was just one of those offensive games we all have seen this year where the basket starts looking like a shot glass.

Who knows. It was a good year and had to end sometime. I guess the sweet 16 is as good of place as any.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
It was just communication error. Enaruna and Jaz were both written on the starting lineup that was submitted. It’s a technical if it’s not followed
Yep, it was a mistake by someone and why Gabe came in at the first dead ball. Definitely unfortunate

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It was just communication error. Enaruna and Jaz were both written on the starting lineup that was submitted. It’s a technical if it’s not followed
I figured that was what it was. But also, how does that happen?
I'm sure the card only had 5 spots. I get TJ was probably deciding between which of Enaruna or Jazz to start, but wouldn't you write in Hunter, Gabe, and Brockington on the top 3 lines first no matter what?

Reactions: GT25Ump

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I have been updating the list of players just every time Iowa State has been linked to a player. It is hard to tell if an offer has been extended or just communication between the school and that player. In general seems like Otz is looking for a larger guard who can score and players who can play the 4/5. As things start to heat up and these transfers update who they are considering I will keep it up to date. Two questions though:
  • Players starting their career in the 2020-2021 will not have an extra covid year correct?
  • Do any players have to sit out a period of time before being eligible now?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
giphy.webp

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
.....i. You could tell they weren't at all concerned about Jones or Conditt by their doubling of Hunter and IB all game.
I was surprised to see Miami try the half court trap again today. Didn't seem to bother the KU guards as much as it did Hunter.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
TJ gave everyone an opportunity to show what they can contribute going forward.
Should we give up on Grill as a potential scorer?

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I have been updating the list of players just every time Iowa State has been linked to a player. It is hard to tell if an offer has been extended or just communication between the school and that player. In general seems like Otz is looking for a larger guard who can score and players who can play the 4/5. As things start to heat up and these transfers update who they are considering I will keep it up to date. Two questions though:
  • Players starting their career in the 2020-2021 will not have an extra covid year correct?
  • Do any players have to sit out a period of time before being eligible now?

20-21 doesn’t count against anyone’s eligibility.
Every player gets one free transfer without having to sit. If the one-time transfer has already been used, the player will have to sit (or appeal). Regardless of whether the one-time transfer has been used, grad transfers are immediately eligible.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
20-21 doesn’t count against anyone’s eligibility.
Every player gets one free transfer without having to sit. If the one-time transfer has already been used, the player will have to sit (or appeal). Regardless of whether the one-time transfer has been used, grad transfers are immediately eligible.
As much as the covid rule has helped us across football and basketball, I am kinda excited for the day everyone who that applies to is done so this gets significantly less confusing

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
I figured that was what it was. But also, how does that happen?
I'm sure the card only had 5 spots. I get TJ was probably deciding between which of Enaruna or Jazz to start, but wouldn't you write in Hunter, Gabe, and Brockington on the top 3 lines first no matter what?
It really doesn’t matter who starts but who is in when the game is on the line at the end! Some people like to start and some play better coming off the bench!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Those who tell you just questioning is being critical are those who don't want any questions asked.........period.

The thing with Walker and Jackson during the season was a little different, however for me the biggest question is why R. Jones played so much against a veteran finesse team like Miami. Finesse is the last thing Mr. Jones is.

I would think Enaruna would have matched up better.

However hindsight is always 20/20 and who knows what would have happened. But I do think with his ability to score from all over the floor in comparison to R. Jones, and being a little quicker might have served ISU better against a team like Miami. You could tell they weren't at all concerned about Jones or Conditt by their doubling of Hunter and IB all game.

Or maybe it was just one of those offensive games we all have seen this year where the basket starts looking like a shot glass.

Who knows. It was a good year and had to end sometime. I guess the sweet 16 is as good of place as any.

Grill was like 1-50 from three. Starts and ends there, really.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
The game is on the line for all 40 minutes.you can't win a game in the first 10 minutes but you can sure lose it.
If you lose it in the first 10 minutes then by default the other team has won it, not? But they can’t win it in the first 10 minutes either?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If you lose it in the first 10 minutes then by default the other team has won it, not? But they can’t win it in the first 10 minutes either?
Nope, that's what you don't understand and should shutdown the cliches.