2022 Concerts

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I’ve been to a handful so far. All have been great, but probably my ranked would be:

1. L’Imperatrice (this group is going to become a bigger deal. Saw them before Coachella, where they were later determined as one of the best shows. They’re like a French pop funk nu-disco kind of band. Fun as hell to watch, were a great show)

2. Florence + the Machine (surprised I loved this as much as I did. It was like a religious experience though. The music isn’t the same, but it’s what I would have imagined going to a Stevie Nicks show was like back in the day)

3. Rage Against the Machine (loved it but the sound quality wasn’t great and this was after he hurt his ankle, so it was just kind of less energy because he couldn’t move around)

4. Colin Hay (this was my 3rd time seeing him; was great, but nothing I haven’t seen before)

Doesn’t qualify for 2022 but I also saw City and Colour in the end of 2021 and that was a chill show, but still a great one. Just took an edible, drank some beer and relaxed at that one.

Never thought I'd see them in this thread.

Hands down one of my favorite groups, not only of all time but particularly of the last 10-15 years. They are a band of equal parts and talents and that's exemplified by their comradery on stage. Sometimes Flore's voice takes center, sometimes is the synth/keyboard players, on others it's it's Achille (on Agitaciones Tropicales), and often it's the funky bass of David Gague. IMO, the latter is one of the better bass players and groove masters out there. Seeing him and Achille go toe to toe at the end of Sonate Pacifique is awesome to see live.

I saw them in Chicago on the first US tour in 2019 (Lincoln Hall, awesome venue) and they were fantastic. I then was going to see them in Minneapolis but that show didn't get rescheduled when Covid interrrupted the 2020 tour. When they announced this years tour I was going to fly to DC until they announced the Coachella shows in LA. Having Inner Wave open sold me (tough as I wanted to see them in a venue with great sound which I knew 930 had). The Fonda show was just as incredible, if not more so, than the first.

With the pub they got at Coachella, and the pub I expect them to get at ACL (bummed there no shows scheduled between performaces...was set to go if they did). I highly recommend to everyone on here to watch some Youtube vidoes, particularly the one below. Not only are they great musically, they often utilize a lot of fashion synchronization and unique cinematography in their performances and videos. If done poorly it would come of as dorky and cheesy but somehow it enhances the performance/visuals.

I've always screwed up or miss seeing Colin Hay, who has one of my all-time favorite voices. When some Men at Work headline shows got added, I decided to fly to Nashville to see the Ryman show. Glad I finally made it a priority and saw him.

Reactions: Cydar

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Most recent concert I saw was Barns Courtney at the Recordbar in KC. It was crazy being back in there as I would be there between 10-20 annually for shows before Covid (last being Glass Animals on their small tour in 2020). It also turned out to be his first headline show since Covid so he absolutely brought it to a packed house. Great show.

Next week I will be out in Denver to see Khruangbin and the Gorrillaz. Then I will go to Minneapolis to catch Pet Shop Boys and New Order. Probably the most excited to see the Gorillaz as Albarn is guaranteed to put on an amazing show. It will be weird seeing Khru in a large venue (park), as all of my other experiences were in smaller, indoor venues.

Reactions: Angie

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I've not been to Starlight, and am sure it is great. I will say that I've been to Red Rocks for 70+ shows, and as of this past weekend, it hasn't worn off for me. Red Rocks might be my favorite place on the planet during a show, as long as Van Morrison isn't performing. Last weekend's experience for My Morning Jacket was off the charts.

Not the venue itself, more the irritation of dealing with the time and other BS. I go to enough concerts, and travel enough for them, that I don't want to have an 8 hour ordeal between getting to the venue, seeing the show, and getting home.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Never thought I'd see them in this thread.

Hands down one of my favorite groups, not only of all time but particularly of the last 10-15 years. They are a band of equal parts and talents and that's exemplified by their comradery on stage. Sometimes Flore's voice takes center, sometimes is the synth/keyboard players, on others it's it's Achille (on Agitaciones Tropicales), and often it's the funky bass of David Gague. IMO, the latter is one of the better bass players and groove masters out there. Seeing him and Achille go toe to toe at the end of Sonate Pacifique is awesome to see live.

I saw them in Chicago on the first US tour in 2019 (Lincoln Hall, awesome venue) and they were fantastic. I then was going to see them in Minneapolis but that show didn't get rescheduled when Covid interrrupted the 2020 tour. When they announced this years tour I was going to fly to DC until they announced the Coachella shows in LA. Having Inner Wave open sold me (tough as I wanted to see them in a venue with great sound which I knew 930 had). The Fonda show was just as incredible, if not more so, than the first.

With the pub they got at Coachella, and the pub I expect them to get at ACL (bummed there no shows scheduled between performaces...was set to go if they did). I highly recommend to everyone on here to watch some Youtube vidoes, particularly the one below. Not only are they great musically, they often utilize a lot of fashion synchronization and unique cinematography in their performances and videos. If done poorly it would come of as dorky and cheesy but somehow it enhances the performance/visuals.

I've always screwed up or miss seeing Colin Hay, who has one of my all-time favorite voices. When some Men at Work headline shows got added, I decided to fly to Nashville to see the Ryman show. Glad I finally made it a priority and saw him.

Ha, it was the DC show I went to (live in Annapolis so it’s only like a 30 minute drive) at the 930 Club.

Might be my favorite concert I’ve been to. Their music is ******* fantastic anyway, but that paired with the venue and the show that they put on was out of this world. I liked them before the show, but became obsessed after.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Ha, it was the DC show I went to (live in Annapolis so it’s only like a 30 minute drive) at the 930 Club.

Might be my favorite concert I’ve been to. Their music is ******* fantastic anyway, but that paired with the venue and the show that they put on was out of this world. I liked them before the show, but became obsessed after.
Love the 930. Some of the local don't understand how good of a club venue it is (sound and sightlines).

Thankfully the Fonda turned out to be one of the best indoor venues I've been to. Really cool on the inside and htey have a fully seated, balcony GA. Like a lot of venues that size, the best sound field is actually in the balcony (Hoyt Sherman for comp). The sound was killer.

I tried sending the band some requests to play Le Baron Rouge, off the first EP, live. I think it would make for a kille rlive track but to my knowledge they've never played it live, even in Europe.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I picked up a last minute ticket & had good seats. Really glad we went. Big big show! Hope you all had some ear protection. I liked Houndmouth too in a laid back kind of way.
I wasn't aware Houndmouth was around. Damn. I'm a big fan but more of their stuff before the chick left.

• Agree
Reactions: Nothingman

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Just saw FKJ last night at the Midland in KC. Last time I saw him I flew to Denver from NYC a couple of days after getting back from India. For that show/tour it was just him playing instruments live, looping many segments he played lived, and piping in the rest. This time he had a full-time drummer, bass player, and a 3 piece string ensemble. which really elevated the performance.

It was also the best sounding show I've possibly ever seen at the venue. The last several shows I've seen there had lackluster sound. Either the bass was too boomy, the highs/mids mix wasn't right...literally something was off. Last night the sound was absolutely perfect and a reminder of how good the venue could be when someone wasn't ******* it up.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We've got a Hinterland 2023 lineup!

Bon Iver, Zach Bryan and Maggie Rogers headlining
I wouldn't mind seeing Houndmouth and Wilderado. Other than that, meh. I may need to explore some of those names I'm not overly familiar with.

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
Orville Peck puts on an awesome live show. The dude is extremely talented. The Tesky Brothers are a solid Blues/R&B band, and I really liked Angel Olsens last album. Houndmouth always puts on a pretty good Rock N Roll show.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Orville Peck puts on an awesome live show. The dude is extremely talented. The Tesky Brothers are a solid Blues/R&B band, and I really liked Angel Olsens last album. Houndmouth always puts on a pretty good Rock N Roll show.

I really enjoyed Maggie Rogers in 2019, and missed Houndmouth when they were here. I am super excited about Bon Iver and the whole Friday lineup. I love Angel Olson, but Friday will likely be my only day.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Very excited for Hinterland again after skipping last year. Friday just looks like a straight up party to me.

Coming Up:
Saturday: Bert Kreisher - Des Moines
Monday: King Buffalo - Omaha

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Saw Gorillaz on their fall tour, great show.

Albarn is a genius. I went to the Denver show but had I known in advance that Del was going to appear at the Cali shows I would have went to LA or San Fran. Hearing him sing Rock the House live would have put me into orbit.

Reactions: pulse

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Most recent shows were FKJ a few weeks ago and Kevin Morby last night.

First: FKJ is an insanely talented multi-instrumentalist who writes music most would put in the jazz hop genre. When I saw him last (in 2017 I believe), he was a one man live show, looping a lot of tracks, playing one instrument at a time (live), and piping in additional elements as needed. On this tour he had a full-time drummer, bass player, and had a 3 piece string ensemble. I'm strongly in the camp of the more live instruments you have the better the performance. This held true here. Not only was the show fantastic and better than the previous performance, the sound was so amazing that it restored some faith in the Midland (KC venue). For the previous 4-5 years most of the shows I"ve seen were poorly mixed, with bass muddled, mids floundering, and poor vocals. I don't know if the venue made a change or if FKJ's resident sound tech (possibly himself) was an ace, but it was probably the best sounding show I've seen there. Superb.

Last night I saw Morby in what was a hometown show at Knuckleheads. My one complaint about Knuckleheads over the years is the poor sound quality/audio equipement. Cool place, great bands, cheapest drink prices you'll get at a show, but middling sound. They upgraded their equipment in the last year (at least in the Garage) and it sounded FANTASTIC, easily being the best sounding show I've seen on any of the stages. Musically Morby is a gifted live performer and always tours with great musicians. One of his bandmates is Liam Kazar, an amazingly talented musician who moved here a few years ago. I highly recommend checking out his album Due North; it's amazing from start to finish. Anyways ALL of Morby's songs sound so much better live with the crown jewel being City Music. Such a fantastic show and a musician who should be more famous than he is.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron