2022 Concerts

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Just found out I am going to be in Denver when Tyler Childers is at Red Rocks. Of course tickets are only available resell through the big ticket sites, but the mark-up is just insane.

Anyone have any hook up to Red Rock tickets or know any way to find tickets hit me up.
Tyler Childers sucks live. The night I saw him he was so high/drunk that he could barely function.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
2019 in Bloomington/Normal. I hope he's sober now but 'fool me once'...

I hear you. I’m a fan so I’m biased. Saw him a couple times around 2019 too, he was definitely messed up for one of those shows but he looked/sounded good last year.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Anybody see Metallica in 2004 at Hilton? Don't remember why, just know I remember thinking it was the worst concert possible - and I like Metallica a lot. Godsmack was great (as always) if I remember correctly.

I was at that one. Metallica was struggling. James alcohol was not doing him justice.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Wife and I love Startlight and just saw One Republic there earlier this month and it was amazing, but very hot. Even though there was an okay breeze the air can be just stagnant in that venue.

Best Venue in the region? Probably, unless you count Red Rocks as the region. We finally also checked that one off our bucket list after going there a couple times for Yoga at the Rocks. Saw Violent Femmes and Big Head Todd and the Monsters. We liked Violent Femmes. BHT was okay, venue was amazing.

As a venue...ease of getting in and out, sound quality, and sightlines I'd argue Starlight is better (been to RR 11 or so times so I'm very familiar). Now, which is the more unique venue and one you should probably go to if you are picking just ONE venue to see a show at? Then you go Red Rocks. Once you've been multiple times the mystique wears off and the time commitment (often 7-9 hours committed to getting there from Denver, parking, walking up, waiting in line, seeing the show, then getting home) becomes an irritant. Saw 3 shows in a week one year and that pain grew old. Red Rocks also has the best concert calendar of any venue in the country, one of Starlight's weak spots (too many wasted dates).

Oddly enough I think White might be the worst sounding show I've see at Starlight. His vocals weren't loud enough, bass was muddled, and the overall volume felt 60-70% of what it normally is. Being that I've seen about 30 shows there, and about 4 this year, I think it had to have been his sound guys that were to blame. Show was still great but they really missed the mark.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
As a venue...ease of getting in and out, sound quality, and sightlines I'd argue Starlight is better (been to RR 11 or so times so I'm very familiar). Now, which is the more unique venue and one you should probably go to if you are picking just ONE venue to see a show at? Then you go Red Rocks. Once you've been multiple times the mystique wears off and the time commitment (often 7-9 hours committed to getting there from Denver, parking, walking up, waiting in line, seeing the show, then getting home) becomes an irritant. Saw 3 shows in a week one year and that pain grew old. Red Rocks also has the best concert calendar of any venue in the country, one of Starlight's weak spots (too many wasted dates).

Oddly enough I think White might be the worst sounding show I've see at Starlight. His vocals weren't loud enough, bass was muddled, and the overall volume felt 60-70% of what it normally is. Being that I've seen about 30 shows there, and about 4 this year, I think it had to have been his sound guys that were to blame. Show was still great but they really missed the mark.

Saw Dirty heads at Red rock and it was awesome.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Saw Dirty heads at Red rock and it was awesome.

I bet it was. Dirty Heads always bring it.

Probably my favorite is between A Paak and Tame Impala. Easily the best sounding shows there of the ones I've been to.

Reactions: Drew0311

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Tyler Childers sucks live. The night I saw him he was so high/drunk that he could barely function.

Childers was easily my least favorite show at 2021 Hinterland. Hardly played any of his best known songs and the whole thing was kind of a weird gospelly set.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

I've not been to Starlight, and am sure it is great. I will say that I've been to Red Rocks for 70+ shows, and as of this past weekend, it hasn't worn off for me. Red Rocks might be my favorite place on the planet during a show, as long as Van Morrison isn't performing. Last weekend's experience for My Morning Jacket was off the charts.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZRF and Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Didn't see a show but went to and walked around the Red Rocks this summer. What an unreal place that is. I couldn't even accurately describe it, you just have to see it in person.
We showed up a day they had a concert. Could walk around a little but not everywhere. The concert: Phish. They were all rolling in as we were leaving and it was just a cloud of smoke we saw behind us.

Basically this. (This post took me longer because the first fast time gif I got was phoebe coming out of the water and I just couldnt stop watching it for a bit)

Reactions: Angie and JM4CY

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I’ve been to a handful so far. All have been great, but probably my ranked would be:

1. L’Imperatrice (this group is going to become a bigger deal. Saw them before Coachella, where they were later determined as one of the best shows. They’re like a French pop funk nu-disco kind of band. Fun as hell to watch, were a great show)

2. Florence + the Machine (surprised I loved this as much as I did. It was like a religious experience though. The music isn’t the same, but it’s what I would have imagined going to a Stevie Nicks show was like back in the day)

3. Rage Against the Machine (loved it but the sound quality wasn’t great and this was after he hurt his ankle, so it was just kind of less energy because he couldn’t move around)

4. Colin Hay (this was my 3rd time seeing him; was great, but nothing I haven’t seen before)

Doesn’t qualify for 2022 but I also saw City and Colour in the end of 2021 and that was a chill show, but still a great one. Just took an edible, drank some beer and relaxed at that one.

Reactions: Angie

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I'm not much into country, but I'm going to Luke Bryan on the farm near Boone Friday night. Country on a cool September night on an Iowa farm sounds perfect! Now where are my cowboy boots??

Also going to Erin Coburn at XbK Sunday night. She's a real good blues rock guitarist. Check it out if you like that sound.