2022-2023 MBB computer projections thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Can we all just agree that Iowa is all smoke and mirrors when it comes to college basketball? Both men's and women's. Credit to Fran and Bluder, they really know how to give the appearance of great basketball being played, when really all it is is one dominating player surrounded by 2 or 3 other players that can shoot decent to good. They don't play defense, and when their star player is stifled, they struggle to win. They can't hang with teams with more athleticism or intensity. It is the same year after year. Rinse, wash, repeat.
Iowa men beat Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Rutgers, Indiana, and Purdue between Feb 17 and Mar 13 last year.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Ok, like I said then, maybe Gard should keep his walkons on the bench where they belong. Doesn't surprise me Fran would do that either, hes had a long history of drama when they go up there and Gard isn't exactly the model of morality.
Gard and Fran are equal calibers of loathsome. Just annoying guys that think their **** doesn't stink. At least Gard hasn't run any of his kids out there yet, if he has any.

Reactions: isutrevman

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
They were down 18 with 1:54 left. And Kris Murray and Jorbo were pressing the **** out of the likes of Ilver, Higgenbottom, Neath and Gilmore. After a TO on the press Gard put Hepburn back in with the end of bench guys then took him out for the last minute. Up 17, then Kris and Jorbo took over to terrorize Carter Higgenbottom for that last minute to close on an 8-0 run.

I think Rebraca was nursing an injury that game. He only played 12 mins so Ogundele and Mulvey had to play a few meaningful minutes. They couldn’t really go small ball against Wisconsin.
Also, it's normally the losing team that concedes and starts playing walkons. I don't know how you can be winning, put in a bunch of terrible players then automatically assume the other coach will do the same.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Can we all just agree that Iowa is all smoke and mirrors when it comes to college basketball? Both men's and women's. Credit to Fran and Bluder, they really know how to give the appearance of great basketball being played, when really all it is is one dominating player surrounded by 2 or 3 other players that can shoot decent to good. They don't play defense, and when their star player is stifled, they struggle to win. They can't hang with teams with more athleticism or intensity. It is the same year after year. Rinse, wash, repeat.
Most of the teams in the country will lose if their best player is shut down and the other team is more athletic and more intense.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Ok, like I said then, maybe Gard should keep his walkons on the bench where they belong. If he wants to get them experience play them agaisnt Wisconsin-Whitewater then.

Doesn't surprise me Fran would do that either, hes had a long history of drama when they go up there and Gard isn't exactly the model of morality.
Yeah I think if anything there may have been a lot of personal animosity fueling that. Gard is a real doosh and Fran is, well, Fran.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Gard and Fran are equal calibers of loathsome. Just annoying guys that think their **** doesn't stink. At least Gard hasn't run any of his kids out there yet, if he has any.
Ok, so basically we have 2 idiot coaches playing mind games with each other almost a year ago. I don't know how some of you guys would remember such minute stuff about games of other teams, but I certainly have more important things to worry about.

So like I said before, who gives a **** what happened during that game.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
He hit 2 free throws with a minute left. Ben Carlson was also in for Wisconsin, he was a rotation player.

Both teams had scrubs and a couple regular guys in at the end, so you don't really have a case. You might as well walk away with a draw on this one.

Besides, who gives a ****, they still lost, not sure what the point of all your arguing is.

I wouldn't call Ben Carlson a rotation player for Wisconsin. He sucked and the only minute he played of that game was the last one.

You are wrong. It's remembered because it's a pattern. Not a huge deal, but certainly an intentional thing.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Most of the teams in the country will lose if their best player is shut down and the other team is more athletic and more intense.
Athletic OR intense.

Do you think Richmond was more athletic than Iowa?

Also, truly good teams can find ways to win when their star is shut down. I don't know if this years Iowa State team is 'truly good' but when Osunniyi struggled the other night against UNC, they were lifted by a great game from Caleb Grill. That didn't happen a lot last year with Iowa, when Keegan struggled (which coincidentally, did not happen often either).

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Athletic OR intense.

Do you think Richmond was more athletic than Iowa?

Also, truly good teams can find ways to win when their star is shut down. I don't know if this years Iowa State team is 'truly good' but when Osunniyi struggled the other night against UNC, they were lifted by a great game from Caleb Grill. That didn't happen a lot last year with Iowa, when Keegan struggled (which coincidentally, did not happen often either).

Teams get upset in the tournament. I don't see why that means they are smoke and mirrors? Lots of teams have different strengths and weaknesses and if you shut down their strengths or neutralize them, they will lose.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Teams get upset in the tournament. I don't see why that means they are smoke and mirrors? Lots of teams have different strengths and weaknesses and if you shut down their strengths or neutralize them, they will lose.
Murray was playing on a bum ankle in that Richmond game. I'm not trying to make excuses but that would explain why he was unstoppable for most of the year then sucked against an A-10 team.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They are smoke and mirrors, because I can predict most outcomes for them. I make a ton of money betting on or against Iowa men's basketball.

The script:

Schedule a bunch of cupcakes in the non con, score 100+ points and win by 30+. Happens almost every time, without fail, for the last 4-5 years of Fran's tenure. Gives the impression of a fast, exciting and explosive team to watch.

Run into a team or two in the non con that might not be as 'basketball skilled' as Iowa's always-veteran team, but they out-athlete and out hustle them. See Iowa State last year, TCU this year, and almost lost to a meh-looking Clemson too.

Do decent to good in the conference season. These games are harder to predict, because they actually do match up well with a lot of Big 10 opponents. The conference has been poverty as of recent years when it comes to doing well in the tournament.

March - flame out before or during the first weekend.

It has become the norm for Fran. It is predictable. It looks good on paper, but it is smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: peteypie