***2020 Vikings Thread***

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think the Vikings should cut Cousins now. Use the $ to keep Hunter. Cousins, if on the roster in 2021, will count $45 million guaranteed against the 2022 cap, from what I hear. Not good.

The Vikings are nowhere in the ballpark for competing for the title anyway. Blow it up and start fresh.
Or they cut Cousins after this season and eat $10M.

I wouldn't be shocked if they extend him. Cousins has played very well on the whole for the Vikings and gets a ton more flak than he should.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Or they cut Cousins after this season and eat $10M.

I wouldn't be shocked if they extend him. Cousins has played very well on the whole for the Vikings and gets a ton more flak than he should.
Yeah, they're not going to cut him before next year, if at all. I understand that some people don't like him and wish they would cut him, but cutting him now would not help them cap wise. That said, I highly doubt he'll play next year on this same contract. He'll either restructure or be cut. But the cutting won't happen before the upcoming season.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

If they want to keep Cousins, which it sounds like they want to get an extension done. You can't also keep Hunter because you are going to have to pay for O'Neil this coming offseason and other addictions to that o-line.

Teams I'd make a deal with now for a 2021 1st and a 2021 3rd:

New England - 15. Lots of cap space, Seem committed to defense and ball control with a cheap Cam Newton contract
Colts - 21. Have a QB, A LOT of cap space to do a sign and trade, plus putting Hunter and Buckner on the same d-line would make them insane
Jacksonville - 25. Tons of cap space, will have a rookie QB contract for 5 years to be able to afford a Top 5 money DE
Browns - 26. Stefanski connection, lots of cap and a rookie contract QB in 2021-2022 to front load Hunter to an extension

If we got a 1st and 3rd from any of the teams I listed. You probably take BAP at 14 unless a QB falls and people want to jump ahead of NE, LV and CHI. Then trade back with the second first rounder to get a 2nd round pick for 2021

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Cousins is the classic "looks good when everything goes right and has nice stats" guy. If you think about what is needed for a top, winning QB, I'd suggest the first two things are leadership and a FB mind (feel for the game). Cousins comes in at "Empty" on both those fronts - like a zombie on the field & the sidelines; rarely makes a play out of nothing, appears to not audible to something else in the face of blitzes, makes it hard on his bad OL by holding the ball til the "right" WR gets open, is numb in the pocket and doesn't feel pressure...

He seems like a great guy and has a great arm with nice accuracy. What that will get you without the key leadership/feel characteristics is mediocrity, which is what every team of his has ultimately been, mediocre. So, they won't stink, but they won't do great either.

I don't blame the Vikings for taking a shot with him on the 1st contract, but the day they extended him, along with the Barr contract, sentenced them to mediocrity - no $ to spend on their OL & DL. Need to pull off the band-aid and start over, but that won't happen b/c Zim & Spielman need to save their jobs in 2021. So, extended mediocrity on the horizon.

I see the Vikings & Barr re-did his contract, realizing he's paid way too much. Probably all they could do with the hole they dug w/ his contract - think the overall $ is now ~even with what they'd have done if they cut him (large cap hit) and signed Wilson.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I like it. Coming off his rookie deal. Still very much in his prime. Between him and Pierce, the interior line should be solid.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Love the Patrick Peterson signing. Also strong rumors they are making a run for Orlando Brown from Baltimore.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm fine with this. He's still very young, and is
as good or better than any O-line prospect they'd take with the 6th round pick they gave up for him.
Yeah, pretty decent depth at the worst.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Add Xavier Woods and Mackenzie Alexander to the fold. Minnesota should have 5 new starters on defense. Tomlinson, Pierce, Peterson, Woods and Alexander.

Hopeful that the unit can get back to the top third of the league.

I suspect they'll go oline with their first pick. Maybe edge rusher. I'm honestly shocked by how active they've been in free agency, considering how little cap room they started with.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Add Xavier Woods and Mackenzie Alexander to the fold. Minnesota should have 5 new starters on defense. Tomlinson, Pierce, Peterson, Woods and Alexander.

Hopeful that the unit can get back to the top third of the league.

I suspect they'll go oline with their first pick. Maybe edge rusher. I'm honestly shocked by how active they've been in free agency, considering how little cap room they started with.
They absolutely need to go oline with first pick. If they don’t, it’s a non defensible move. Their oline is beyond awful.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They absolutely need to go oline with first pick. If they don’t, it’s a non defensible move. Their oline is beyond awful.
I could still potentially see them trade Hunter for a small bundle of picks, maybe a 2nd and 4th, then taking an edge in the first round. I also wouldn't hate it if they traded up a few spots to guarantee they get one of the top oline prospects. At 14, they're kind of in no man's land when it comes to the oline

Reactions: cyfan21

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron