NFL: ***2020 NFL Draft Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Also a Packers fan, I'm still just totally confused by the Packers draft.

You look at it overall, and all you can think is that they are planning on going to a power running game offense. If that's the case, then it's probably a "B-" draft instead of a "D" draft.

I'm not totally against going to a power running game, but it doesn't exactly take advantage of having one of the best passing QB's to ever play the game. And say what you will, but drafting a QB in round one does in fact tell Rodgers that the "plan" consists of only having him for 2-3 years. Maybe Rodgers is okay with that?

I'm getting the feeling that Rodgers has kinda worn out his welcome amongst his teammates and the front office. It's been pretty well known he isn't the greatest teammate, and isn't very coachable either.

So maybe the plan is already moving beyond the Rodgers era and going to a power running game with Love running the show?

If they could get Mayock and Gruden to part with their 1 in each of the next three drafts for Rodgers I'd jump at it. They could sign a vet QB on a short deal and use the extra cap to shore up some holes. I know 3 ones is steep but they're in a position they don't have to sell.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Found complete list:

Pretty bad. 9 teams without a draft pick. Freaking Kansas had a player drafted!

ISU had two guys drafted last year but either in this thread or another someone posted all the guys ISU has had drafted over the last 10 and 20 years and it is pretty small. ISU has a long ways to go as far as recruiting talent.

I know the talent sunk pretty low with Rhoads, our depth is MUCH better now than at any point under Rhoads. We now need a bit more top shelf type talent. I'm not saying 4 5* guys per class or anything but more higher level 3* and maybe a 4* guy every now and then. I know we can't force that.

Reactions: ArgentCy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Also a Packers fan, I'm still just totally confused by the Packers draft.

You look at it overall, and all you can think is that they are planning on going to a power running game offense. If that's the case, then it's probably a "B-" draft instead of a "D" draft.

I'm not totally against going to a power running game, but it doesn't exactly take advantage of having one of the best passing QB's to ever play the game. And say what you will, but drafting a QB in round one does in fact tell Rodgers that the "plan" consists of only having him for 2-3 years. Maybe Rodgers is okay with that?

I'm getting the feeling that Rodgers has kinda worn out his welcome amongst his teammates and the front office. It's been pretty well known he isn't the greatest teammate, and isn't very coachable either.

So maybe the plan is already moving beyond the Rodgers era and going to a power running game with Love running the show?

Not a Packers fan, but drafting a QB that you like is always a good idea when you have an aging QB like 36 year old Rodgers.
How many teams are left without a quality QB after their franchise QB retired, and spend years searching for the next one. Just look at Miami, Denver, and others, its a long list. My chiefs were smart in drafting Mahomes even though Smith was coming off a pro bowl season, let the young QB train and learn from the better player and when the older player is ready to retire or move on, you already have his replacement on the roster with a knowledge of the plays and receivers.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

ISU had two guys drafted last year but either in this thread or another someone posted all the guys ISU has had drafted over the last 10 and 20 years and it is pretty small. ISU has a long ways to go as far as recruiting talent.

I know the talent sunk pretty low with Rhoads, our depth is MUCH better now than at any point under Rhoads. We now need a bit more top shelf type talent. I'm not saying 4 5* guys per class or anything but more higher level 3* and maybe a 4* guy every now and then. I know we can't force that.
Yep, and as much as we don't want to admit it get those 3 star type guys and then develop them like Iowa does to make them NFL top 3 round type guys.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I guess I feel like people have not watched Iowa State and payed attention to what year people are. Our best players are underclassmen and are still on the team. That’s great for us but not great for draft picks.

Reactions: Cycho1 and LindenCy

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The Big XII was down this year but still did pretty darn well, even in the pre-season, less so in the bowl games. I think it really speaks to the quality of coaching in the leaque. They do more with less talent.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

Roads had some guys drafted, but had a ton of guys sign as undrafted free agents. Secondary players especially.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Looks like the Dolphins will be last in the league in rushing. Really was surprised they didn’t go with Taylor or Dobbins in the 3rd round. Indy and the Ravens had a great drafts.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Looks like the Dolphins will be last in the league in rushing. Really was surprised they didn’t go with Taylor or Dobbins in the 3rd round. Indy and the Ravens had a great drafts.
Didn't Miami trade for Matt Breida on day 3? Him and Jordan Howard are a decent backfield. Not world-beaters, but a respectable combo.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Didn't Miami trade for Matt Breida on day 3? Him and Jordan Howard are a decent backfield. Not world-beaters, but a respectable combo.
Between the two of them they averaged like 20 carries a game.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Aaron Rodgers just might have a legitimate claim that the Packers haven't helped him out like they could have over the years

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Between the two of them they averaged like 20 carries a game.
Howard is at about 16 rushes per game played for his career. Breida is around 9. You can make the argument that both were underutilized with their previous teams. Both are still in their 20s. I'm not saying Miami is going to lead the league in rushing by any means, but between the two there is potential. It's definitely an upgrade over last year

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Were those Rhoads guys or guys he inherited from Chizik?
Most were Rhoads guys. He wasn't as bad of a recruiter as people on here claim. The problem was that he and his staff could not develop offensive players. Our 2011 defense had every starter but one go on to NFL camps. Maggitt was the only one that did not, but he did become a coach.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Draft grades are kind of stupid, and are very often incorrect, but they're fun to discuss. This guy did a composite of quite a few grades from talking heads.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Draft grades are kind of stupid, and are very often incorrect, but they're fun to discuss. This guy did a composite of quite a few grades from talking heads.

“Geez I wish Chad Reuter was my professor in college.” Lol.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
“Geez I wish Chad Reuter was my professor in college.” Lol.
No kidding. That's the allure of the draft though isn't it? Even if your team screws up magnificently, you can come away with some hope.

Like, I'm sure you can go find Packers fans who will argue til they're blue in the face for every one of their picks. And that's fine. They're not even wrong...yet. and maybe they aren't wrong at all. Maybe they made great picks.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Most were Rhoads guys. He wasn't as bad of a recruiter as people on here claim. The problem was that he and his staff could not develop offensive players. Our 2011 defense had every starter but one go on to NFL camps. Maggitt was the only one that did not, but he did become a coach.
Three of the guys I was thinking of from that team, Leonard Johnson, Ter'Ran Benton and Jake McDonough were Chizik recruits. Maggitt was a Chizik recruit too. Rumpelheimer did well in Canada I believe and he was a Chizik recruit. I know Klein and Knott were Rhoads guys.

There was some guys that Rhoads had in his first recruiting class but I don't know how to find if he actually recruited them or if they had committed to ISU while Chizik was still the coach. I found Broomfield committed to Chizik and so did Jacques Washington. Technically Klein committed to Chizik too. Who else am I missing?

Reactions: demoncore1031

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

Just for giggles I checked recruiting ranking for ISU from 2001-2020 via 24/7. This is how, on average, ISU ended up against the rest of the FBS in that time. McCarney averaged 47.33 ranking, Chizik had 56.5, Rhoads was 64.6 and Campbell is 50.8. McCarney took chances on a lot of guys and they did not pan out which is why the recruiting ranking was so high.

Rhoads was by far the worst. His best ranked class was 59 with the 2011 class. Chizik was 54 his first year, McCarney had the 38th ranked class in 2002 and Campbell has posted back to back 46 ranked classes.