MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Well, looks like we’re a go and will start games in a month.

Can’t wait to see how Ross fares as manager

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Well at least with the DH Schwarber can just work on hitting in spring training. Who will be the LF this year?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Well at least with the DH Schwarber can just work on hitting in spring training. Who will be the LF this year?
maybe they've leave scwarber, and rotate victor/wilson between catching and DH. Or Javy to Third, Hoerner to short, and KB to Left?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
maybe they've leave scwarber, and rotate victor/wilson between catching and DH. Or Javy to Third, Hoerner to short, and KB to Left?
I personally love Javy’s value as a utility guy but I think there’s no way he isn’t full time SS

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
C Wilson
1B Rizz
2B Javy
SS Nico
3B Bote
RF Hey
C Almora
LF KB
DH Schwarbs

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Early prediction of 38-22 record. Also predict the Cubs end up with about 6 players getting COVID during the season, and if they end up being Javy, Rizzo and KB I’ll switch the prediction to 5-55.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
How the lineup shakes out could be really interesting now with the DH in play and expanded rosters for the first 4 weeks. I think the biggest question marks are who plays 2B and in the OF on a regular basis. Remember they signed Kipnis and Souza Jr. who will be in the mix somewhere too. Having guys like Bote and Happ who can play some 3B leaves that possibility of KB playing some more OF. Also wouldn't rule out a late signing once teams can start cutting players again and a decent player gets cut for payroll purposes. The first thing you think of with the DH is Schwarber but given the lack of depth in the OF currently and those players struggles to hit at times there is more offensive fire power at other positions that it will be interesting to see how they use the DH with the roster as it currently is. I'd love to get Caratini more AB but they would have to carry a 3rd catcher to make it feasible to have him in the lineup more consistently on days Contreras is playing too.

Bigger question is what does the backend of the rotation look like?
Darvish, Hendricks, Lester, Quintana and assume Chatwood but does anyone possibly beat out Chatwood for that 5th spot possibly? Do think they have enough depth in the bullpen ranks that will sort itself out with an expanded roster

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
KB - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Javy - SS
Schwarber- DH
Wilson - C
JHey - RF
Happ - CF
Bote/Nico - 2B
Platoon - LF

No idea who plays LF but I’ve given up on Almora. Guy can’t hit, but at least he won’t be in the leadoff spot for some reason this year

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Biggest question for me is what is the bullpen like, a lot of new arms and Kimbell wasn’t exactly “on” last year. Plus who is your everyday 2nd base and CF? Still plenty of talent to make a run in a short season, but large gaps exist.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Well, looks like we’re a go and will start games in a month.

Can’t wait to see how Ross fares as manager

Man with everything going on I feel like I completely forgot Ross was the manager now.

I'm in a pessimistic swing right now but I feel like we are going to get about two weeks into this restart and there is going to be a bunch of positive cases and turn into a big **** show and get shut back down after a handful of games.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I switched my cable months ago to get Marquee channel. Now I finally get to watch it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
KB - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Javy - SS
Schwarber- DH
Wilson - C
JHey - RF
Happ - CF
Bote/Nico - 2B
Platoon - LF

No idea who plays LF but I’ve given up on Almora. Guy can’t hit, but at least he won’t be in the leadoff spot for some reason this year

I think Schwarber is fine in left. My guess is they platoon the DH spot, and use it to give guys days off.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Biggest question for me is what is the bullpen like, a lot of new arms and Kimbell wasn’t exactly “on” last year. Plus who is your everyday 2nd base and CF? Still plenty of talent to make a run in a short season, but large gaps exist.

I think the bullpen will sort itself out. There is a nice mix of veteran arms and some young guys that showed some promise late last year. Kimbrell needs to pitch well for sure especially for as much as they paid to get him. They signed Jefress, Tepera, Winkler, and Sadler who have been capable middle relief guys in their careers at times. That's the thing about relief pitching is that it is so volatile from year to year, guys can have a great season or 2 then completely fall apart then a change of scenery and pitching coach and they sometimes rebound into a solid relief man again.

The 2 guys last year that showed a lot of promise that could play a big role this year are Wick and Wieck. Wieck looked like a really solid lefty after he was acquired in the Carl Edwards trade and Wick may have been the best arm in the bullpen last season. Ryan was pretty decent last year too and was the primary lefty in the pen for most of the season. I think they have enough mix of veteran and younger guys with upside that just like every season a guy or 2 will come out of nowhere and something just clicks for them and they fill a spot in the pen that was a question mark coming in. I agree that everyday 2B and CF are still the biggest questions position wise and I have a feeling both spots are going to wind up as platoons unless someone just breaks out and takes the job full time.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Good grief, as if they didn't already have concerns with the rotation.

Cubs always seem to come up with these odd injuries. Sammy Sosa's bad back after a sneezing fit and Felix Pie getting a twisted testicle come to mind. I think Kerry Wood once got hurt when he slipped getting out of a hot tub too

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Good grief, as if they didn't already have concerns with the rotation.

Cubs always seem to come up with these odd injuries. Sammy Sosa's bad back after a sneezing fit and Felix Pie getting a twisted testicle come to mind. I think Kerry Wood once got hurt when he slipped getting out of a hot tub too

In 1969, Jose Cardenal (CF) missed a game due to a stuck eyelid.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA