MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I am genuinely intrigued by how a collection of major league baseball players can be this inept at hitting a baseball. Like, some kind of research needs to be done or something. It defies all logic.

We are about to get "swept" by a team who does not have a single player outside of Marte that I had ever heard of prior to this series.

I'm no hitting coach, but something in the Cubs system and approach at the plate is fundamentally flawed.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Nothing about this series is surprising. Just blow it all up, honestly. Nobody can hit.

Makes me wonder if the players are pressing so much because they know their "window" if closing. As opposed to playing free and easy and trusting in their talent.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Three straight strikeouts with a guy stranded on second against Brandon Kintzler. If they can't get that run across, they deserve this, tbh. ABC didn't even bother to show the bottom of the ninth, which is stupid, but it saved me from seeing the ship go down.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Depends on your definition of "done" I guess. This lineup (or a close version of it) can make it to the playoffs, but as we've seen today, they won't be able to advance until they address their inability to hit. They can't expect their pitching to be perfect, and it would have taken shutout pitching to win these two games (so far).

If this were a full season, there is no way they would've made the playoffs.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just my offseason strategy based purely off emotion right now.

1) $23 million free from Chatwood and Quintana leaving, who combined to play in 9 total games this season. Add an extra $10 million freed up from Lester ($10 million minimum for his buyout) and that's $33 million we can spend on an elite arm.

2) Trade Baez ($12-15 million arb) Schwarber ($10 million) and Bryant ($24ish million arb) if they aren't willing to be realistic about contract negotiations and understand their play this year cost this organization a deep playoff run. Trade them for pitching prospects and let's focus on rebuilding the farm but not rebuilding the big league team.

3) Between $33 off the books for three not-great pitchers and nearly $50 million lost if we trade those three, I absolutely believe we can sign a Bauer, a Semien, and a Lemeiheu all while rebuilding the farm.

For the record, I have always been opposed to trading those three because I believe they deserved every chance possible to make it work in Chicago. However, those three have proved can not help this organization do much.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
With the money MLB teams lost this year, I'm sure there is a great demand for Baez, Schwarber, and Bryant with those salaries. :rolleyes: