2019-20 FB Coaching Carousel & Rumors

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Kendall, you forgot the best part of CSU, they have the best uniforms in all of college football...

111117_LRH_CSUFBallvsBoiseState_5-mb.jpg
I've always thought if ISU did a uniform based on the Iowa flag it would be awesome and probably piss of some people in Eastern Iowa. Win win

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I'm a CSU (and ISU) alum, have lived in Fort Collins for 11 years, and wife works at CSU. Here are the positives and negatives to football job and program:

Good:
1) Brand new stadium
2) Money in town
3) Decent alumni support
4) Great city and school

Bad:
1) MWC keeps getting tied in to late night TV contracts, so kick is often between 7-8pm local time for several games, AD claims he can't do anything about it because of conference ties (I call BS). Night games are fun, occasionally. Tailgating in the dark sucks. Getting out of football games after midnight sucks worse.
2) New stadium on campus has essentially ruined traditional tailgating. Everything remotely close to stadium is "rent-a-tailgate" or beer tents with music, which are fun, but extremely different from the scene at ISU or even what CSU was at Hughes Stadium. Very manufactured, not organic at all.
3) CSU has (and I believe still does) given students free tickets to football games. (It's not really free, they pay for it indirectly in student fees). This IMO leads to a perceived value of the football game, which is exactly $0. So new alums don't go to games after they graduate, because they think games should be free.
4) There's a ton of other things to do in Fort Collins in the fall besides watch an average at best football team.

Wrap all the bad stuff together, and you have a TON of empty seats, in the newest stadium in the country. About 50% of those who show up leave at halftime, regardless of the situation. Perhaps partly because they stop serving beer in the second half (if they didn't serve beer, NO students would go). Remember when ISU had 2-win seasons and they were selling out and expanding the stadium? Would NEVER happen at CSU.

The only thing that will cure all this is winning. And even then you're probably not going to fill the entire stadium with the late game times.

Sat part about the CSU job as a fan, is that it absolutely is a stepping stone job, and we've seen the two outcomes of this. If the coach does well at CSU, he will move up to a P5 team (e.g. Jim McElwain, who at the time had the largest buyout contract ever). On the other hand, if you give a coach five years and they don't do well, you just wasted half a decade (e.g. Mike Bobo). It's a lose-lose as a fan, best you can expect is a good year every 10 years, before your coach gets poached.
So are you in the loop regarding the supposed "confirmed" Urban Meyer sighting in FOCO this week?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
36749FCC-98E8-4505-A04F-424B95E48E5A.jpeg Urban right now on BTN. Lol.

says he’s currently consulting on coaching hires with several schools.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm a CSU (and ISU) alum, have lived in Fort Collins for 11 years, and wife works at CSU. Here are the positives and negatives to football job and program:

Good:
1) Brand new stadium
2) Money in town
3) Decent alumni support
4) Great city and school

Bad:
1) MWC keeps getting tied in to late night TV contracts, so kick is often between 7-8pm local time for several games, AD claims he can't do anything about it because of conference ties (I call BS). Night games are fun, occasionally. Tailgating in the dark sucks. Getting out of football games after midnight sucks worse.
2) New stadium on campus has essentially ruined traditional tailgating. Everything remotely close to stadium is "rent-a-tailgate" or beer tents with music, which are fun, but extremely different from the scene at ISU or even what CSU was at Hughes Stadium. Very manufactured, not organic at all.
3) CSU has (and I believe still does) given students free tickets to football games. (It's not really free, they pay for it indirectly in student fees). This IMO leads to a perceived value of the football game, which is exactly $0. So new alums don't go to games after they graduate, because they think games should be free.
4) There's a ton of other things to do in Fort Collins in the fall besides watch an average at best football team.

Wrap all the bad stuff together, and you have a TON of empty seats, in the newest stadium in the country. About 50% of those who show up leave at halftime, regardless of the situation. Perhaps partly because they stop serving beer in the second half (if they didn't serve beer, NO students would go). Remember when ISU had 2-win seasons and they were selling out and expanding the stadium? Would NEVER happen at CSU.

The only thing that will cure all this is winning. And even then you're probably not going to fill the entire stadium with the late game times.

Sat part about the CSU job as a fan, is that it absolutely is a stepping stone job, and we've seen the two outcomes of this. If the coach does well at CSU, he will move up to a P5 team (e.g. Jim McElwain, who at the time had the largest buyout contract ever). On the other hand, if you give a coach five years and they don't do well, you just wasted half a decade (e.g. Mike Bobo). It's a lose-lose as a fan, best you can expect is a good year every 10 years, before your coach gets poached.

Totally off topic but can you drink in the new stadium? I know 20-25 years ago you could at the old stadium but could only have 1 beer at a time or something along those lines.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I've always thought if ISU did a uniform based on the Iowa flag it would be awesome and probably piss of some people in Eastern Iowa. Win win

It definitely did make the Buffs upset, because CSU actually trademarked it. So only CSU can have Colorado flag uniforms, and CU will never have them.

So are you in the loop regarding the supposed "confirmed" Urban Meyer sighting in FOCO this week?

I've heard he was in town this week, and yes there are rumours floating. Meyer was an assistant under Sonny Lubick back in the day, and he's been back before, for example a speaking engagement between his Florida and tOSU gigs. My guess is that he's lobbying for Tony Alford, tOSU running backs coach and CSU alum. He's the name that has popped up the most in the last couple hours of initial speculation. Urban Meyer taking the CSU job would be like Blake Lively asking me out on a date - it's fun to think about, but it would never happen.

Totally off topic but can you drink in the new stadium? I know 20-25 years ago you could at the old stadium but could only have 1 beer at a time or something along those lines.

Yes, you can drink in the new stadium, as you could in Hughes before. In fact, the north end zone is the "New Belgium Porch", basically an outdoor bar only accessible by FoCo's upper echelon and/or NBB employees and friends. In the stands you can get Coors, Coors Light, and several from NBB including Fat Tire, Citradelic, and Old Aggie. Yes, CSU has its own beer. Before this year they stopped serving at the end of half, I think this year they went until end of 3rd quarter, which is really the sweet spot IMO.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It definitely did make the Buffs upset, because CSU actually trademarked it. So only CSU can have Colorado flag uniforms, and CU will never have them.
Actually, I think that is a **** move. They are both state schools in Colorado. Neither one of them should have exclusivity on elements of the state flag.

Sounds like something u of i would do since everyone knows they invented the Iowa state flag.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Actually, I think that is a **** move. They are both state schools in Colorado. Neither one of them should have exclusivity on elements of the state flag.

Sounds like something u of i would do since everyone knows they invented the Iowa state flag.
I see your point, but could also see CU doing something like this. It's a rivalry, I'm glad CSU got to it first.

Also want to point out that your post is ammunition for anyone accusing this board of being obsessed with Iowa. Not trying to pick a fight, just sayin'.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I see your point, but could also see CU doing something like this. It's a rivalry, I'm glad CSU got to it first.

Also want to point out that your post is ammunition for anyone accusing this board of being obsessed with Iowa. Not trying to pick a fight, just sayin'.
Not trying to pick a fight either but did you notice that you were quoting a post that brought up using the Iowa state flag and pissing off iowa by doing it in the post of yours I was quoting? He drug iowa into this issue long before I did.

Just sayin...

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Not trying to pick a fight either but did you notice that you were quoting a post that brought up using the Iowa state flag and pissing off iowa by doing it in the post of yours I was quoting? He drug iowa into this issue long before I did.

Just sayin...

It's about revenue, you dont trademark those uniforms because you dont want CU to have them, you trademark them so only CSU can make money off them.

Plus everyone knows CU is all people from California. The Peoples Republic of Boulder doesn't even let people from the State of Colorado in.

Also, you sound angry. You OK? Just saying.

I got you @isukendall

Reactions: isukendall

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's about revenue, you dont trademark those uniforms because you dont want CU to have them, you trademark them so only CSU can make money off them.

Plus everyone knows CU is all people from California. The Peoples Republic of Boulder doesn't even let people from the State of Colorado in.

Also, you sound angry. You OK? Just saying.

I got you @isukendall
Not angry. If someone implies I'm obsessed with Iowa, yeah, I'm going to respond directly.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

I'm sure you're aware that the state nickname is the HAWKEYE STATE...

(even though the state had that nickname far before the university of iowa used it as a mascot, thus just copying the name that many boast proudly to claim they are part of the state's original core keystones)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
He's a good fit there but man, him at Arkansas/FSU would have been great.
He's good there because he's pretty unassailable. He can be King of Pullman. Put him in a place where the expectations are higher and I don't think he would handle it as well. I like Mike, but it's pretty clear he likes to be the top dog and doesn't always react the greatest when questioned. I think he does his best work bringing relevance to places that don't normally have much. I'm not sure that he'd be afforded the same "reverence" at a place like FSU, where they have been on top of the hill recently

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He's good there because he's pretty unassailable. He can be King of Pullman. Put him in a place where the expectations are higher and I don't think he would handle it as well. I like Mike, but it's pretty clear he likes to be the top dog and doesn't always react the greatest when questioned. I think he does his best work bringing relevance to places that don't normally have much. I'm not sure that he'd be afforded the same "reverence" at a place like FSU, where they have been on top of the hill recently
Does the leeway really get reduced at the top? Look at what coaches get away with when at the top. In either case it’s about winning. I don’t see a reason to think Leech would have trouble turning around an Arkansas or FSU, and therefore would be the top dog.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Yeah, putting him at Arkansas or FSU would for sure be entertaining for everyone but I'm not sure he'd fare well in a spot with higher expectations and more scrutiny.

Reactions: Mr Janny