MLB: 2017 Minnesota Twins Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by mj4cy, Dec 9, 2016.

1. srjclone

srjclone Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    Who would've thunk that the White Sox and Twins would be a-top the AL Central after 25 games?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ItsCyence

ItsCyence Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brookings, SD
    Best April since Molitor took over. 2015 they were 10-12 in April and followed it up with a 20-7 May. Starting to look like the offense is clicking together. Buxton has put together a lot better at bats. I would like to see Kennys Vargas to get more at bats just to see if he has figured things out. Sitting at a .333 average through 16 at bats. Mauer is a dissapointment. I like the guy but, he needs to produce. Of course, part of Joe's lack of RBIs and RBI opportunities is that Sano is clearing the bases in front of him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    I was watching the game last night by myself, and audibly said "come on Joe, hit one out, you need it" when Valdez was in and had let up 2 HR's and 2 line out's. Just because it felt like Valdez was throwing baloons and Joe reaallllyyy needed a good at bat. And classic Joe Mauer-esque he lifted a ball over the opposite field wall.

He has been really struggling, but hope that seeing the ball leave the yard will help his confidence.

4. SCyclone

SCyclone Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Yep - I saw many a game there as a young lad. One afternoon Rod Carew even threw me a baseball, I still have it. The only autograph of note that's on it is Tony Oliva's.....what a kind, gentle man he is.

OK, so I did some research on park facings......and you are correct. Here's a list:
    Predominantly facing northeast - Safeco(Seattle), Oakland Co. Coliseum, Dodger Stadium, Anaheim Stadium, Kauffman in KC, Busch in StL, Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee, Citizens Bank in Philly, Camden Yards, and Nationals Park in DC.
    Predominantly facing north - Petco (San Diego), Chase Field (Phoenix), Coors Field (Denver), Progressive Field (Cleveland).
    Predominantly facing southeast - Texas Rangers' park (not sure what it's called), Guaranteed Rate (White Sox), Comerica (Detroit), PNC (Pittsburgh), Great American Park (Cincinnati), and Sun Trust in Atlanta.
    I could not find a ballpark that faced west at all, although I did not look at Houston, or any of the Florida parks.

My guess is that in the old days, before grandstands got so tall, they didn't want batters facing the sun in the late afternoons. (I'm probably wrong!)

5. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA
    Thinking about for one of the games shelling out the big bucks and sitting by the Rockies dugout which are $84 seats.

6. srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    my buddies and I sit in the left field bleachers (129,130) very solid seats, can see everything in front of you, and they're like 10-15 bucks. I enjoy the game from no matter where I am sitting as long as I'm not in the 3rd deck, and with the new Target Field there aren't many bad seats in the house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. riceville98

riceville98 Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Disabled
    Colfax Iowa
    Kyle Gibson was sent to AAA after the game yesterday to "figure some stuff out" It's about time!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Turn2

Turn2 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Clusterfunkeny
    Took in the Wednesday and Thursday games. A's fan here, but the Twins have some young sluggers that are pretty scary. Sano, ooof. Can we swing a trade?

Nice ballpark too. Really easy to visit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    He's probably got the best stuff out of any pitcher we have in terms of strikeout capability, but he's leaving too many lollipops up in the zone lately. Hopefully he can get straightened out. We could use later this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Dang it - tying runs on base yesterday and big Mig at the plate. What more could we hope for? Seriously though, I think this team is close to turning a corner. Considering Dozier is trying to hit the ball to Hudson Bay every time, and Mauer isn't producing squat, they aren't in bad shape. Wonder if they'll bring up Berrios to take Gibson's spot. He's been lights out at AAA.

And yes, time for Gibby to look in the mirror. Heaven knows he has the stuff, he just needs to get his location better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. riceville98

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Disabled
    Colfax Iowa
    You are correct. He's got good stuff and is still young enough to have a good career Hope it works for him..

12. srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    Lately as in the last year and 26 games? I was a big Gibson fan back in 14-15, but what he has been bringing the last 2 years has been tough. Even when he is having a good game comparatively, I always felt he was due to get shelled. I hope he can get his form back, but he needed this relegation to give him a much needed change

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    So knowing Twins have the first pick in the draft, is there a cut and dry clear cut #1 prospect this year?

14. riceville98

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Disabled
    Colfax Iowa
    Last I herd from the beat writers and listening to the new GM. They are looking at 2 guys. Don't have the the names off the top of my head though

15. Dormeezy

Dormeezy Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Software Engineer
    Cedar Rapids
    Should be Hunter Greene. High school right handed pitcher and short stop. Supposed to be the LeBron of baseball.

16. J-Diggy

J-Diggy Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I just read about him in SI. Throws 100+ in high school and some think he could be like A-Rod at short (without the DBaggish tendencies). He actually floated the idea of playing both positions or at the least DHing and pitching. Very intriguing prospect.

17. SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
    Fort Dodge, IA
    He was recently cover boy for Sports Illustrated. I read the article, he sounds like the real deal.

18. SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
    Fort Dodge, IA
    OK, so do we now lay off Mauer for awhile, since he whacked a walk-off HR last night? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. jcyclonee

jcyclonee Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Minneapolis
    I was at the game last night. The crowd was pretty happy. I think it took a little while for them to register that it was Mauer that hit it. They really want him to be good. The signs of improvement are a bit more favorable over the last week or so.

• Like Like x 1
  20. FDWxMan

FDWxMan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Des Moines
    Kyle Gibson will be 30 at the end of this season, and possesses well below average strikeout ability. Good riddance.

Here is where he has ranked among qualified MLB starters in strikeout rate each of his three full seasons, plus this year to date.

2017: 5.5 -- 93rd out of 101*
    2016: 6.4 -- 68th out of 75*
    2015: 6.7 -- 61st out of 78
    2014: 5.4 -- 85th out of 88

*not enough innings to qualify

Really would have been fine with non-tendering Gibson this past offseason, even though I understand that's not something that happens to a guy with options left...even at 29 1/2 years old.

If Gibson has a future in the Twins rotation, that's probably a very bad sign. Even Hughes is striking out more guys than Gibson this year.