MLB: 2017 Minnesota Twins Thread

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Best April since Molitor took over. 2015 they were 10-12 in April and followed it up with a 20-7 May. Starting to look like the offense is clicking together. Buxton has put together a lot better at bats. I would like to see Kennys Vargas to get more at bats just to see if he has figured things out. Sitting at a .333 average through 16 at bats. Mauer is a dissapointment. I like the guy but, he needs to produce. Of course, part of Joe's lack of RBIs and RBI opportunities is that Sano is clearing the bases in front of him.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Best April since Molitor took over. 2015 they were 10-12 in April and followed it up with a 20-7 May. Starting to look like the offense is clicking together. Buxton has put together a lot better at bats. I would like to see Kennys Vargas to get more at bats just to see if he has figured things out. Sitting at a .333 average through 16 at bats. Mauer is a dissapointment. I like the guy but, he needs to produce. Of course, part of Joe's lack of RBIs and RBI opportunities is that Sano is clearing the bases in front of him.
I was watching the game last night by myself, and audibly said "come on Joe, hit one out, you need it" when Valdez was in and had let up 2 HR's and 2 line out's. Just because it felt like Valdez was throwing baloons and Joe reaallllyyy needed a good at bat. And classic Joe Mauer-esque he lifted a ball over the opposite field wall.

He has been really struggling, but hope that seeing the ball leave the yard will help his confidence.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My co-worker said he was thinking the old Met used to face south or southeast. I saw my first Twins game there, but I was way too young to care what direction I was facing. After a quick search, I do believe he was right.

metropolitan16_top.jpg
Yep - I saw many a game there as a young lad. One afternoon Rod Carew even threw me a baseball, I still have it. The only autograph of note that's on it is Tony Oliva's.....what a kind, gentle man he is.

OK, so I did some research on park facings......and you are correct. Here's a list:
Predominantly facing northeast - Safeco(Seattle), Oakland Co. Coliseum, Dodger Stadium, Anaheim Stadium, Kauffman in KC, Busch in StL, Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee, Citizens Bank in Philly, Camden Yards, and Nationals Park in DC.
Predominantly facing north - Petco (San Diego), Chase Field (Phoenix), Coors Field (Denver), Progressive Field (Cleveland).
Predominantly facing southeast - Texas Rangers' park (not sure what it's called), Guaranteed Rate (White Sox), Comerica (Detroit), PNC (Pittsburgh), Great American Park (Cincinnati), and Sun Trust in Atlanta.
I could not find a ballpark that faced west at all, although I did not look at Houston, or any of the Florida parks.

My guess is that in the old days, before grandstands got so tall, they didn't want batters facing the sun in the late afternoons. (I'm probably wrong!)

• Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Thinking about for one of the games shelling out the big bucks and sitting by the Rockies dugout which are $84 seats.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Thinking about for one of the games shelling out the big bucks and sitting by the Rockies dugout which are $84 seats.
my buddies and I sit in the left field bleachers (129,130) very solid seats, can see everything in front of you, and they're like 10-15 bucks. I enjoy the game from no matter where I am sitting as long as I'm not in the 3rd deck, and with the new Target Field there aren't many bad seats in the house.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Kyle Gibson was sent to AAA after the game yesterday to "figure some stuff out" It's about time!!!

He's probably got the best stuff out of any pitcher we have in terms of strikeout capability, but he's leaving too many lollipops up in the zone lately. Hopefully he can get straightened out. We could use later this year.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Dang it - tying runs on base yesterday and big Mig at the plate. What more could we hope for? Seriously though, I think this team is close to turning a corner. Considering Dozier is trying to hit the ball to Hudson Bay every time, and Mauer isn't producing squat, they aren't in bad shape. Wonder if they'll bring up Berrios to take Gibson's spot. He's been lights out at AAA.

And yes, time for Gibby to look in the mirror. Heaven knows he has the stuff, he just needs to get his location better.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
He's probably got the best stuff out of any pitcher we have in terms of strikeout capability, but he's leaving too many lollipops up in the zone lately. Hopefully he can get straightened out. We could use later this year.

You are correct. He's got good stuff and is still young enough to have a good career Hope it works for him..

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Lately as in the last year and 26 games? I was a big Gibson fan back in 14-15, but what he has been bringing the last 2 years has been tough. Even when he is having a good game comparatively, I always felt he was due to get shelled. I hope he can get his form back, but he needed this relegation to give him a much needed change

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So knowing Twins have the first pick in the draft, is there a cut and dry clear cut #1 prospect this year?

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
So knowing Twins have the first pick in the draft, is there a cut and dry clear cut #1 prospect this year?

Last I herd from the beat writers and listening to the new GM. They are looking at 2 guys. Don't have the the names off the top of my head though

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Should be Hunter Greene. High school right handed pitcher and short stop. Supposed to be the LeBron of baseball.

I just read about him in SI. Throws 100+ in high school and some think he could be like A-Rod at short (without the DBaggish tendencies). He actually floated the idea of playing both positions or at the least DHing and pitching. Very intriguing prospect.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
OK, so do we now lay off Mauer for awhile, since he whacked a walk-off HR last night? :rolleyes:
I was at the game last night. The crowd was pretty happy. I think it took a little while for them to register that it was Mauer that hit it. They really want him to be good. The signs of improvement are a bit more favorable over the last week or so.

Reactions: SCyclone

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Kyle Gibson will be 30 at the end of this season, and possesses well below average strikeout ability. Good riddance.

Here is where he has ranked among qualified MLB starters in strikeout rate each of his three full seasons, plus this year to date.

2017: 5.5 -- 93rd out of 101*
2016: 6.4 -- 68th out of 75*
2015: 6.7 -- 61st out of 78
2014: 5.4 -- 85th out of 88

*not enough innings to qualify

Really would have been fine with non-tendering Gibson this past offseason, even though I understand that's not something that happens to a guy with options left...even at 29 1/2 years old.

If Gibson has a future in the Twins rotation, that's probably a very bad sign. Even Hughes is striking out more guys than Gibson this year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron