MLB: 2017 Minnesota Twins Thread

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
.........A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-nd last night the rookie outfielder throws a ball to an unattended base, allowing the Dodgers to tie the score and eventually win the game.

I had thoughts the defense might be special this year, but things are starting to get a little bit unraveled. Buxton can't come back soon enough......his headaches have been exactly that for the big club.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Twins flipping from buyers to sellers in just one week? Just dealt Jaime Garcia to the Yankees after they acquired him just six days ago.

From MLB writer:

Garcia, 31, is 5-7 with a 4.29 ERA this season for the Braves and Twins, the latter having acquired the southpaw in a trade only six days ago. The move gave Minnesota the appearance as a buyer with the Trade Deadline approaching, but after being swept by the Dodgers in a three-game set, the Twins did a 180-degree turnaround and began listening to offers for players, including Garcia, Ervin Santana, Brian Dozier and Brandon Kintzler.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Twins flipping from buyers to sellers in just one week? Just dealt Jaime Garcia to the Yankees after they acquired him just six days ago.

From MLB writer:

The Twins were cautious buyers at best before and after a week of struggles while both the Indians and Royals surged the situation is much different. Went from 2.5 games out of first to 7. Nice thing is the Twins prospect haul is significantly better than what they gave up to acquire Garcia at the expense of just salary.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This is something I hate about MLB. Santana, Dozier, and Kintzler are all nice pieces to build around. Why trade them and give up this year and for sure not have them next year.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
This is something I hate about MLB. Santana, Dozier, and Kintzler are all nice pieces to build around. Why trade them and give up this year and for sure not have them next year.

Kintzler is set to be a free agent. Not necessarily someone who'd I'd be excited about resigning either. For the right deal he would be fine but his advanced metrics aren't great and relievers in general are notoriously fickle.

Santana is 34 at this point but has still had a solid season. He's likely in his decline phase so if you can fetch a good return a guy in his mid 30's and free yourself from a reasonably large contract it's worth considering. Is he truly going to a valuable piece on the next great Twins team?

Dozier it's all about long term. He's only signed through next year before he's due a pretty large contract. Does he fit in the long term for the Twins or do they feel comfortable guys like Nick Gordon coming up? The return is going to be better if you do the trade this year rather than next.

Reactions: cyfan21

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Kintzler is set to be a free agent. Not necessarily someone who'd I'd be excited about resigning either. For the right deal he would be fine but his advanced metrics aren't great and relievers in general are notoriously fickle.

Santana is 34 at this point but has still had a solid season. He's likely in his decline phase so if you can fetch a good return a guy in his mid 30's and free yourself from a reasonably large contract it's worth considering. Is he truly going to a valuable piece on the next great Twins team?

Dozier it's all about long term. He's only signed through next year before he's due a pretty large contract. Does he fit in the long term for the Twins or do they feel comfortable guys like Nick Gordon coming up? The return is going to be better if you do the trade this year rather than next.

Damn facts

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Shows how fragile they were all along. Blew 4 late or ninth inning leads this trip so far (Taylor Rodgers stand up and take a bow!) and that is all it took to drop them out of serious playoff talk and in to seller mode. Had to know the Indians were going to go on a run....and they did. Twins just decided that while the two other top teams went 9-1 they should go 3-7.

I would personally keep Santana for some stability in the rotation, not like there are a bunch of stud pitchers waiting in the wings, rather than dump him for a couple mid-level prospects.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Too many close ones in the last week to not pick up some more wins. That plus Cleveland/KC getting red hot tells me it was fun while it lasted.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Unfortunately I saw this slide when I looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year. Astros, Yanks and Dodgers after the break was pretty brutal. And once we struggled against the Tigers and recently the A's and the writing was pretty much on the wall.

We don't have the pitching to keep up right now. The run differential, while not an end-all stat, is a pretty good indicator of where we are at. I really wasn't all that excited about Jaime Garcia, so I thought dealing him to the Yanks was a good move.

I'd be very surprised if Kintzler and Santana are still here in a month since there are quite a few teams in need of pitching. I'm not sure if anyone will offer what we need for Dozier. We should be able to ask for quite a bit considering he's still under contract through next year. I haven't really paid attention to know if anyone needs a second baseman that badly right now.

I have a feeling we could be really young on the mound next year.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Eddie is starting to emerge as one of Twins best young talents. Buxton is slowly coming along but I'm a little disappointed that Kepler has not progressed more.
Great see the Twins on the positive side last night as they have lost their are of big leads.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I for one would not miss Dozier. Hits leadoff, has an abysmal OBP, and appears to be trying to hit a 40-run (no, that's not a typo) homer every at-bat. Last night he comes up with the tying run on third and one out and has an awful AB, swinging from his heels. I would bet his solo HR percentage is one of the highest in MLB history.

<end of rant>

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I for one would not miss Dozier. Hits leadoff, has an abysmal OBP, and appears to be trying to hit a 40-run (no, that's not a typo) homer every at-bat. Last night he comes up with the tying run on third and one out and has an awful AB, swinging from his heels. I would bet his solo HR percentage is one of the highest in MLB history.

<end of rant>

One thousand times this. So often he fails with runners in scoring position because he is going for the home run instead of getting the ball in play and scoring one or two runs.

However, other than Sano he is one of the only home run threats we have. Kind of screwed either way.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I know the Twins are only 2.5 back of the 2nd wild card, but I find myself really excited about what the pitching staff could look like next year. Stephen Gonsalves and Fernando Romero are putting up great numbers at AA, are both top 100 prospects as starters and should be given a shot in the rotation out of spring training next year. Plus they have an abundance of power arms at AA and AAA that should be ready.

If the rotation is Santana, Berrios, Mejia (who's been solid), Gonsalves and Romero, that's a world of difference from what they've trotted out in years past. If they could trade Dozier for a 1B/Corner OF that crushes left handed pitching (which isn't a rare skill at those positions) and could platoon with Kepler/Mauer against lefties, that'd be ideal. Kepler especially has been horrible against lefties but mashes against righties.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

<end of rant>

Nice reverse psychology!

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone