2016 Rio Summer Olympics

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I will never understand how throwing loose powder all over something like the balance beam increases traction and grip.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Patches, or Kinesio tape (like the stuff Kerri Walsh Jennings wears on her surgically-repaired shoulder)? If you're talking about Kinesio tape, that stuff helps provide stability and improves circulation to joints and/or muscles.
No, I recognize the tape - some of the basketball players were wearing it in the NCAA's...
I'm talking about the flesh colored patches that are about 4x4 square...most being worn on the shoulders or shoulder blades. The ones I used had electro-therapy units embedded in them.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The whole "perspective" thing - Simone Biles could have fallen from the beam twice and still qualified for all-around. That's just domination.

And speaking of domination, by the time the night is over USA might be 10 points up on the competition.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Cripes they could just have their last person do some cartwheels and still win. Hell, I could do that for them!

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The reason they didn't let Laurie compete for a spot in the all around is because Karolyi wanted to give Raisman a better shot at qualifying.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
This is an opinion after just watching team qualifications, but I think US is going to go 1 - 2 on the women's individual floor exercise, and may just sweep the medals.

Well drat. Laurie didn't qualify for floor. :(
I feel like it could be just a few hundredths of a point between Aly and Simone for individual floor. Coin flip on who gets gold and silver.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, before we badmouth Gabby Douglas too much, more perspective - she had the third highest score in the world tonight and still won't get to participate in the overall finals.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Unreal domination by the gymnastics team. The 3 trying to qualify for all-around finished 1-2-3, Laurie Hernandez out scored Gabby Douglas in all 3 events she competed in and Koacin had the highest score out of everyone in the bars.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I'm loving the reaction of the two newbies on the podium for the men's 4x100...one can't stop grinning like a fool, the other is overcome...

And I'm sorry if I appear to be bad-mouthing Gabby. I DO feel that there was some bias involved at the trials, because Gabby did NOT perform well there. She is a very talented gymnast and a defending gold medalist, but she still needs to earn her place on the team.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well, before we badmouth Gabby Douglas too much, more perspective - she had the third highest score in the world tonight and still won't get to participate in the overall finals.

So....if you're not first....you're last. Boot her from the team.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm loving the reaction of the two newbies on the podium for the men's 4x100...one can't stop grinning like a fool, the other is overcome...

And I'm sorry if I appear to be bad-mouthing Gabby. I DO feel that there was some bias involved at the trials, because Gabby did NOT perform well there. She is a very talented gymnast and a defending gold medalist, but she still needs to earn her place on the team.
I feel bad for the guy who swam the semis in place of Phelps. He does just as much work and Phelps gets the medal (and a chunk of change if I'm not mistaken)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I also enjoyed the swimmers' medal ceremony. One guy laughing, one guy weeping, Phelps in the middle like, yea, done this a few times before.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Furk, just watched the Dutch girl's cycling crash. That was just plain scary. I'm surprised she didn't die.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I cannot get into gymnastics. I need an objective measurement. Yeah, routines look cool but why don't they all do the same to make scoring easier?

I read online women like gymnastics because it's similar to the drama of reality tv. The article was serious.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I cannot get into gymnastics. I need an objective measurement. Yeah, routines look cool but why don't they all do the same to make scoring easier?

I read online women like gymnastics because it's similar to the drama of reality tv. The article was serious.

Yep, just not into it. And just reading this thread, it sounds more like soap opera than sport.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I feel bad for the guy who swam the semis in place of Phelps. He does just as much work and Phelps gets the medal (and a chunk of change if I'm not mistaken)
Yeah, that's been happening for a long time. I agree...I think the ones that race in the prelims should race in the final (barring injury). But I suppose from there, it would be a short step to injuring your slowest man? Oh, I hope not!