MLB: 2015 Minnesota Twins thread

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Haven't seen one on the Twinkies. Don't know much about them other than they will be lucky to see .500. I like Santana and the locker room presence of Hunter, I just don't see much power in that lineup.

What is the starting 5 looking like after Hughes, Santana, and Gibson?

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
Haven't seen one on the Twinkies. Don't know much about them other than they will be lucky to see .500. I like Santana and the locker room presence of Hunter, I just don't see much power in that lineup.

I was fortunate enough to be down in Ft. Myers and have some connections within the Twins, and after talking to one of the coaches he was telling me that Alex Meyer would almost certainly be called up fairly early this season (May-June). He made it clear that he was being groomed to be a starter, so they do not plan to call him up to come out of the bullpen. He also said Sano will probably be a midseason call up and Buxton could be a late season call up if he progresses as planned. Torii Hunter was really awesome to interact with and is a really funny guy. I was in the dugout watching them hit BP and he said, "Watch this, I hit like Reggie Jackson in batting practice and play like Michael Jackson in games." It could be a rough year for the Twins, but I like some of the young guys coming up and the future looks good.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

Santana/Arcia/Plouffe/Dozier/Vargas give the Twins a lot more power than they've ever had in the last few years. The team as a whole slugged for .389 last year, which was good for 11th in MLB. The offense has really been coming around for them.

The problem, as usual, has been pitching. With a new staff in charge, the addition of Santana, and the possibility of younger guys like Alex Meyer contributing, things might improve in that area.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Yup, offense is not the problem. They can definitely put up runs. Just need pitching and defense to prevent runs.

justgetcy

Nov 5, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Phil Hughes was awesome last year, Kyle Gibson improved a lot IMO but still had a few clunkers. If Nolasco can pitch up to that contract and Ervin Santana has the kind of impact the Twins are hoping for... I think a pitching staff of:

P. Hughes
E. Santana
K. Gibson
R. Nolasco
one of Meyer/May/Milone/Pelfrey

I think this group can definitely provide "average" pitching and with enough kool-aid - solid starting pitching.

As was mentioned already the offense was not the issue last year, the Twins could score runs and all the young guys in the line-up have one more year experience now.

The issue I have seen in multiple previews is that this is shaping up to be a terrible defensive baseball team.. especially if the pitching is a huge let down once again.

Look forward to this season though, look for the pitching to bounce back, the current and future young guys stepping up, Mauer getting back to at least hitting .300, Dozier dingers, Vargas & Arcia bombs.

Never know.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Love that you guys know a ton more than me and beyond what I can decipher on just looking at paper.

I forgot that Arcia had 20 homers in only 106 games. Also that Dozier had 80+ RBIs. Need Mauer to get back to a 300 hitter and hopefully Hicks can step it up.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Phil Hughes was awesome last year, Kyle Gibson improved a lot IMO but still had a few clunkers. If Nolasco can pitch up to that contract and Ervin Santana has the kind of impact the Twins are hoping for... I think a pitching staff of:

P. Hughes
E. Santana
K. Gibson
R. Nolasco
one of Meyer/May/Milone/Pelfrey

I think this group can definitely provide "average" pitching and with enough kool-aid - solid starting pitching.

As was mentioned already the offense was not the issue last year, the Twins could score runs and all the young guys in the line-up have one more year experience now.

The issue I have seen in multiple previews is that this is shaping up to be a terrible defensive baseball team.. especially if the pitching is a huge let down once again.

Look forward to this season though, look for the pitching to bounce back, the current and future young guys stepping up, Mauer getting back to at least hitting .300, Dozier dingers, Vargas & Arcia bombs.

Never know.

I'm bracing for a Phil Hughes regression. He was maddeningly inconsistent with the Yankees, and it'd be pretty rare for him to repeat what he did last year. With a new pitching coach and manager, I wouldn't be surprised to see him disappoint this season. Hope that doesn't happen, though!

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Got tickets for two games in June when St. Louis comes to Target Field.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The Twins will be slightly better this year, but are still a year away from any significant change in wins. If Buxton is anywhere close to being what they say he is, they'll be fun to watch.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
They were 70-92 last year. I'll predict they go 76-86 this year. Improvement, but not much.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I got to watch Buxton play in CR. That dude will be good once he is fully recovered.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I got to watch Buxton play in CR. That dude will be good once he is fully recovered.
If Buxton is sent back to CR, I'm making a trip over for a game. Made the drive over last summer when Mauer did a rehab stint with the Kernels.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
If Buxton is sent back to CR, I'm making a trip over for a game. Made the drive over last summer when Mauer did a rehab stint with the Kernels.
I'm sorry, but I hope that never happens. Would mean a serious regression has happened.

On a side note I've got tickets to opening day and couldnt be more excited.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Agreed. He didn't even last the entire season with the Kernels. They bumped him to AA mid-season.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm sorry, but I hope that never happens. Would mean a serious regression has happened.

On a side note I've got tickets to opening day and couldnt be more excited.
Oh, I hope it doesn't happen either. I'm just saying I didn't take advantage of the chance to see him in CR, and I wouldn't pass it up again if it came along.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm bracing for a Phil Hughes regression. He was maddeningly inconsistent with the Yankees, and it'd be pretty rare for him to repeat what he did last year. With a new pitching coach and manager, I wouldn't be surprised to see him disappoint this season. Hope that doesn't happen, though!

I'm in the same boat as you. If Hughes was consistent, he would still be wearing pinstripes. It was nice to see his name last year and actually feeling like we were going to win when he took the mound, though.

I look for Gibson to make a jump this year. He has great stuff, but was really up and down last year.

I'm curious to see how Molly manages this group.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron