2009-2010 Starting Line up?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Apr 30, 2009
Colvin will NOT see many minutes once big12 play starts. He may be a playmaker, but it is rare to have a freshman PG playing major minutes in a major conference. I don't expect him to make any major contributions his first year. He may have a couple of big time "John Neal" games where he is just on, but he will not have a major impact on how this team will do.

Well if thats the case then this season is a wrap already, time to move to 2010/2011 season. Sure colvin is a freshmen and most freshmen do not see minutes but colvin is a top 15 point guard according to rivals and therefore there must be hope for him to see a lot of playing time and be a big time contributor with how weak our guard play has been in the past under mac. Colvin brings a lot more to the table than most our other guards. Also look at his offer list he odviously has somthing going for him.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Well if thats the case then this season is a wrap already, time to move to 2010/2011 season. Sure colvin is a freshmen and most freshmen do not see minutes but colvin is a top 15 point guard according to rivals and therefore there must be hope for him to see a lot of playing time and be a big time contributor with how weak our guard play has been in the past under mac. Colvin brings a lot more to the table than most our other guards. Also look at his offer list he odviously has somthing going for him.
Players do not develop in college?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Agree totally. I'm sooooo tired of our offense launching all those 3-pt. shots, and then GMac saying on the post-game presser, "we had open looks, they just didn't fall." If more of our shots were from closer in, more would fall...
Colvin brings tons to the table, as we have to prevent a replay of last year. He's a slasher who can drive to the basket. It's not enough to say "our returning players will be undoubtedly better." We don't know that. Colvin brings new blood.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
You gotta go with DG at point just because of experience and his ability to take over games at times.
At SG, I've heard really good things about SC and I'm not sold on Lucca being a starter. I think he's a better 6th man.
SF: sold on gilstrap
PF: no question, CB
C: I really like Hamilton here. He is a solid player. He isn't flashy but he's always in the right spot. He's still a little green but I think he'll be a real solid player for us. Plus, we don't need the flash from this position. We already have that with Gilstrap and Brackins. We just need a solid defensive, big body here.

Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL

I agree with your comment. The quality of basketball played in the Chicago Public League is one of the best if not the best in the country. Colvin excelled and led his team to the state championship. He will be ready for some big time minutes as a freshman. I completey disagree with the poster that stated he would see 4 or 5 minutes at best. He is more ready to play than DG was when he came in as a freshman and he saw significant minutes.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009

Are you seriously going to base any success on a kid who has yet to play one minute of D-1 ball because a website has him rated in the top15 of his position coupled with an offer list?

No offense kiddo, but this is not a good way to gauge success.

Colvin will see a ton of minutes due to these 2 factors:

1) Player injury

2) The season is already a wash after the first 6-7 games

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I agree with your comment. The quality of basketball played in the Chicago Public League is one of the best if not the best in the country. Colvin excelled and led his team to the state championship. He will be ready for some big time minutes as a freshman. I completey disagree with the poster that stated he would see 4 or 5 minutes at best. He is more ready to play than DG was when he came in as a freshman and he saw significant minutes.

Out of necessity, not design.

Apr 30, 2009
Are you seriously going to base any success on a kid who has yet to play one minute of D-1 ball because a website has him rated in the top15 of his position coupled with an offer list?

1) Player injury

i understand he hasnt played a single minute yet but some of the BEST coaches in the nation from teams like kentucky, illinois, providence, usc, baylor, washington state, marquette, florida state, saw him play recruited him and OFFERED him. Since mac has been here the only other player with this many quality offers that played right away was brackins next: colvin.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
1. DG - I do think DB will be better than DG & they split time equally.
2. Christopherson
3. Gilstrap
4. Brackins
5. Dendy edging Hamilton

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
1. DG - I do think DB will be better than DG & they split time equally.
2. Christopherson
3. Gilstrap
4. Brackins
5. Dendy edging Hamilton
I see this as the starting line-up as well. Buck and maybe even Colvin will see a lot of time at the 1 and 2 as well. Lucca at the 3/2, Hamilton at the 5, and JVB at the 4/5.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale

1) Player injury

Colvin is ranked higher than Blalock was out of high school. I know there are a lot of factors involved in this. I'm not saying Colvin will be as good as Blalock or play as many minutes as Blalock did as a freshman (30.7 minutes a game). What I am saying is that just because he hasn't played one minute of D-1 basketball does not mean he can't be an immediate contributor. I'm not necessarily saying he WILL contribute right away, but the fact is that he is ranked that high means he definitely has a chance to do it. We can't assume he won't be just because he hasn't played yet. There's no way to tell until he steps out onto the floor. I know he thinks he is going to make a contribution right away and I (and a lot of others) think he will too.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Colvin is ranked higher than Blalock was out of high school. I know there are a lot of factors involved in this. I'm not saying Colvin will be as good as Blalock or play as many minutes as Blalock did as a freshman (30.7 minutes a game). What I am saying is that just because he hasn't played one minute of D-1 basketball does not mean he can't be an immediate contributor. I'm not necessarily saying he WILL contribute right away, but the fact is that he is ranked that high means he definitely has a chance to do it. We can't assume he won't be just because he hasn't played yet. There's no way to tell until he steps out onto the floor. I know he thinks he is going to make a contribution right away and I (and a lot of others) think he will too.

Yes, we need Colvin to be a contributor - he is competitive and combative, and our team desperately needs that now.
Our first game (and last game) in the Big XII tournament summed up our whole season - we were outscored 34-8 in the paint, and went down with a whimper.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think many of you DG haters may be shocked to learn that, as a sophomore, he was very close to being the best player in the conference in terms of assist rate (assists divided by made field goals by teammates while on the court). link - 2009 Big 12 Conference Leaders for Assist Rate

If healthy, he'll start, and he'll start at the point. His strengths (quickness, vision, handling) fit the PG position. His weaknesses (shooting, mainly) make him a relatively poor choice at the 2G position.

I agree, DG is by no means a superstar but he's got a solid all around game and is one of those type of role players you need to be a good team. I think the rest of the backcourt will sort itself out and someone is going to earn the starting 2 spot.

BTW I'm pretty excited about what we could have coming off the bench next year regardless of who ends up starting we'll have some nice guards, some size and hopefully some consistent scoring with Lucca in the mix.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
i understand he hasnt played a single minute yet but some of the BEST coaches in the nation from teams like kentucky, illinois, providence, usc, baylor, washington state, marquette, florida state, saw him play recruited him and OFFERED him. Since mac has been here the only other player with this many quality offers that played right away was brackins next: colvin.

All you did here was list the schools that offered. Good for you.

Doesn't change the fact that he his a freshman. Just because all of these schools offered him doesn't mean they were planning to play him the minute he came to campus.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
All you did here was list the schools that offered. Good for you.

Doesn't change the fact that he his a freshman. Just because all of these schools offered him doesn't mean they were planning to play him the minute he came to campus.

Guess what? Just because he is a freshman doesn't mean he can't come in and play right away. Its dumb for you to assume that just because he is a freshman he won't play next year.