2 Scenarios

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Scenario A: The team somehow finds a way to 6 wins but loses the bowl game. The offense grinds out enough points to win but it's not good and still leaves a lot of questions for next year. So pretty much the same offense as last year. The Defense plays well enough to win, not the iron wall but solid. (like last year's D).

Scenario B: The team does not make a bowl and wins 4 or 5 games. The offense and defense make steady improvement each game to where they are able to upset a few teams down the road.

I contend that scenario B is the best case of the two for the long term success of the program. I realize that for scenario A to happen there will have to be upsets as well and more than what would occur in scenario B. However, it is how the team wins. They had chances to win against UNI and Iowa but they performed and executed poorly. In Scenario B win's happen because the players developed and results in executed game plans not due to dumb luck or sloppy opponent play.

Scenario B gives the team momentum into next year which will have the bulk of the players returning. A good platform for the team to make the elusive next step. Scenario A gives us a bowl but like last year it seems the program is mired.

royhobbs09

Apr 11, 2006
We'd all be feeling a lot better with either scenario. What we are all scared about is scenario C.

CyZinger

Aug 13, 2013
At this point, 3 or more wins appears that it will be a successful season. Hope that changes the further we get into fall.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
This is dumb. Scenario A every time. Makes more money for the university, and we still have those same guys coming back next year, who would have to be much improved anyway if we get to 6 wins.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
We'd all be feeling a lot better with either scenario. What we are all scared about is scenario C.

At this point, 3 or more wins appears that it will be a successful season. Hope that changes the further we get into fall.

I don't believe the team will fall off the cliff. The team played **** poor and were in a couple of plays of winning. The team didn't lose because of a talent gap. The losses are due to a lack of execution. The talent is there they just need time to develop.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Ok, what about this....

Scenario A: We get to 6 wins this year and make a crappy bowl, but our offense still looks basically inept. But because we got to a bowl, no changes are made at all for next season.

OR

Scenario B: We only win 2 games, but then Rhoads is forced to fire Mess and we land a really good, creative OC that takes us to 8+ wins next year by averaging 37 pts a game.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Ok, what about this....

Scenario A: We get to 6 wins this year and make a crappy bowl, but our offense still looks basically inept. But because we got to a bowl, no changes are made at all for next season.

OR

Scenario B: We only win 2 games, but then Rhoads is forced to fire Mess and we land a really good, creative OC that takes us to 8+ wins next year by averaging 37 pts a game.

I would trade anything for a 9 win season next year, and almost anything for an 8 win season next year.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Ok, what about this....

OR

How about you come up with a scenario that isn't totally leading to an answer.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Ok, what about this....

OR

Now that's a better scenario. But I bet we still don't see either of these actually happening

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Now that's a better scenario. But I bet we still don't see either of these actually happening

It's a stupid scenario, and I knew somebody was going to post it. You can make any scenario suit your opinion if you do what clonedude did by assuming a new OC miraculously surpasses all of the other OCs ISU has had in the last 10 years, and makes this a great offense.

A: 6-6. Mess back next year.
B. 2-10. New OC next year.

This would be much more fair.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Ok, what about this....

OR

Only problem with these scenarios is who is this really good creative OC that we would land. Be honest dude, ISU would probably promote from within. No way would we get a decent OC from out of the program.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Scenario A would be a winning season in conference, which has been a rarity for ISU, i think the last was in 2000 and then you have to go back into the 70s to find another. So i think you have to go with that.

Though i think most of us would take either option.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Only problem with these scenarios is who is this really good creative OC that we would land. Be honest dude, ISU would probably promote from within. No way would we get a decent OC from out of the program.

ISU hired Herman when they had less money and he was a legit FBS coordinator. They could definitely go outside the program. It might really shake up the offensive staff though.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It's a stupid scenario, and I knew somebody was going to post it. You can make any scenario suit your opinion if you do what clonedude did by assuming a new OC miraculously surpasses all of the other OCs ISU has had in the last 10 years, and makes this a great offense.

A: 6-6. Mess back next year.
B. 2-10. New OC next year.

This would be much more fair.
Going with A

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It's probably more fair to say:

4-8: Mess back
2-10: New OC

that's probably more realistic

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

Perhaps Klenakis. Look deeper into his bio than the little info you get from cyclones.com. Apparently he had a hand in helping Ault develop the pistol. If we are gonna continue using this formation, who better to let run the O than one of its creators? Klenakis really does have quite the resume.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Scenario A: The team somehow finds a way to 6 wins but loses the bowl game. The offense grinds out enough points to win but it's not good and still leaves a lot of questions for next year. So pretty much the same offense as last year. The Defense plays well enough to win, not the iron wall but solid. (like last year's D).

Scenario B: The team does not make a bowl and wins 4 or 5 games. The offense and defense make steady improvement each game to where they are able to upset a few teams down the road.

I contend that scenario B is the best case of the two for the long term success of the program. I realize that for scenario A to happen there will have to be upsets as well and more than what would occur in scenario B. However, it is how the team wins. They had chances to win against UNI and Iowa but they performed and executed poorly. In Scenario B win's happen because the players developed and results in executed game plans not due to dumb luck or sloppy opponent play.

Scenario B gives the team momentum into next year which will have the bulk of the players returning. A good platform for the team to make the elusive next step. Scenario A gives us a bowl but like last year it seems the program is mired.

The offense will be different next year I think. Richardson will be more experienced. We only lose 2 o-linemen (Tuftee and Lichtenberg), which means we have a lot of returners with PT, including Farniok. Bundrage is back and more experienced. Ecby, Jarvis, Daley, PJ Harris are all back. PLUS we add Lazard and Montgomery. Just think about that. 3 possible big time playmakers at WR. It COULD end up being the best group of WRs in school history. Instead of White and Shontrelle in the backfield we will have Nealy and Wimberly. A lot of potential. But the O-line MUST step up, and the play calling has to be there.