10 Years Ago...

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Honestly, it seems longer. I may have answered differently three months ago. A lot of Fred haters out there nowadays but it can't be denied that he played a fun style of basketball. A blast to watch. A friend of mine who went to Iowa and isn't even a basketball fan was watching ISU exclusively during those years.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I don't think there are a lot of Fred "haters" on CF. It's just that those of us who have moved on get tired of others being compared to Fred. It's old news.

But I would agree those were halcyon days for the ISU MBB program.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
That was a very good day.
When it happened, it was a wild day. Turned out to be a good one.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but Fred didn't have any head coaching experience when he was hired. It may have been mentioned on CF. But I don't really remember.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Lot of hot takes in the announcement thread that didn't age well.

It was fun revisiting that; we love Fred, but it was a reminder of how big of a risk we were taking.

Not sure I want to think about what would’ve happened had Fred failed to turn things around. Pollard likely would’ve lost his job.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It was fun revisiting that; we love Fred, but it was a reminder of how big of a risk we were taking.

Not sure I want to think about what would’ve happened had Fred failed to turn things around. Pollard likely would’ve lost his job.

My largest worry was that, if Fred flopped, it would have aliened one of own from the fan base forever. That happened anyways, of course, through other means.

Better dead than Big Red.

Reactions: arobb

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
So it was about 10 years ago today then that CW about crapped his pants live on the radio when the Godfather came on and started ripping Perrault. Good times.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Honestly, it seems longer. I may have answered differently three months ago. A lot of Fred haters out there nowadays but it can't be denied that he played a fun style of basketball. A blast to watch. A friend of mine who went to Iowa and isn't even a basketball fan was watching ISU exclusively during those years.

Revived Hilton from life support

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hopefully we can say that again, soon, if you catch my drift.

Remember this flowchart about the OU marching band?

eiiskt7n2svz.png

Replace the left and the right with "any thread" and the center with "Prohm sucks" and you basically have a significant minority of posters on here.

Give it up. There is a time and a place.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I feel so lucky to have been a student from 2011-2015. I missed Fred's first year when they didn't do a whole lot and arguably saw one of the greatest stretches ever of ISU bball
I had the exact same timing. So man great games against Kansas and Iowa, the comeback against OU, the Naz shot against OSU, beating Michigan etc

Help Support Us

Become a patron