Friday OT #2 - Homemade Like a Shank

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What is the most meaningful gift you have ever made someone?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I tie my own flies (not great but they generally look like something fish eat) and have given them to numerous friends or colleagues that got into fly fishing. Usually after taking them out for a day so it's a little bit of 'passing of the torch' kind of thing.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Background - my dad and I share a birthday. DAD, if you are on CF, STOP READING.

Anyway - a few years back, he sold his childhood farm that he had wanted to eventually retire to in order to buy a bigger house so that my maternal grandparents could live with him and my mom. It is so sweet, and I know it has to be hard on him.

I went online and found a government website that has all kinds of aerial photos from different points in time. You can zoom in and find your own house/farm/whatever. I found his childhood farm from back when it last had all of the buildings on it, and printed it off. I then traced it onto cloth, learned how to embroider, and stitched his farm in perfect scale. I framed it, and a photo of the farm from the same site. I'm going to give it to him tonight - he's not a super effusive man with his emotions, but I hope he'll like it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Actually my parents really enjoy when I smoke meat and vac seal it up and freeze it. Whenever I see them, I send them home with some and they love it.

• Friendly
Reactions: hlb76 and Angie

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I am more of a buyer of gifts than a maker.
I think the only thing I actually made for someone is a old style mousetrap that I saw in a youtube video that caught my attention since he had a mouse issue in an old farmhouse he bought. He claimed to have liked it. Not sure if he ever used it. This is the video I saw it in.

He claims to not have caught a mouse in almost a year now so that's good.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I am more of a buyer of gifts than a maker.
I think the only thing I actually made for someone is a old style mousetrap that I saw in a youtube video that caught my attention since he had a mouse issue in an old farmhouse he bought. He claimed to have liked it. Not sure if he ever used it. This is the video I saw it in.

He claims to not have caught a mouse in almost a year now so that's good.

That thing is crazy!

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
What is the most meaningful gift you have ever made someone?

I am a PROUD soap maker which we gift out and my wife makes a killer body butter. She also does these very cool acrylic pour paintings on tiles.

Knowing that a part of me is being rubbed over someone else's body is..... Well honestly it sounds creepy when I put it in words...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I am a PROUD soap maker which we gift out and my wife makes a killer body butter. She also does these very cool acrylic pour paintings on tiles.

Knowing that a part of me is being rubbed over someone else's body is..... Well honestly it sounds creepy when I put it in words...

One of my dear friends from middle school on makes soap - it's crazy how intricate it is! I'll have to ask if she likes being slathered all over people.

I'd love to see a sample of the acrylic pour paintings! I love art like that - I like to dabble in little stuff (I made us a whole new tree worth of Christmas ornaments this year using three or four different techniques and mediums)! Some of it sounds so attainable but looks SO cool!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Mine's a little different, but I "made" a lifechanging memory for my dad. He was a lifelong Notre Dame football fan. So when I graduated high school I was hellbent on playing football for the Irish. For a while it didn't look good and I thought I might not make it happen, but after being a tackling dummy at practice for a few years I finally was able to dress for a game against Georgia Tech and actually recorded a sack on the last play of the game. He always said it was "the most beautiful sight these eyes had ever seen." That comment didn't make my mom very happy, but I was touched.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Mine's a little different, but I "made" a lifechanging memory for my dad. He was a lifelong Notre Dame football fan. So when I graduated high school I was hellbent on playing football for the Irish. For a while it didn't look good and I thought I might not make it happen, but after being a tackling dummy at practice for a few years I finally was able to dress for a game against Georgia Tech and actually recorded a sack on the last play of the game. He always said it was "the most beautiful sight these eyes had ever seen." That comment didn't make my mom very happy, but I was touched.

So Rudy posts on here? The more you know

Reactions: Angie

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010

Have you thought about turning that into a movie?

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I always figured your life story would more closely follow Dumb and Dumber....

Cyczech

Feb 24, 2013
Rockford IL
Background - my dad and I share a birthday. DAD, if you are on CF, STOP READING.

Anyway - a few years back, he sold his childhood farm that he had wanted to eventually retire to in order to buy a bigger house so that my maternal grandparents could live with him and my mom. It is so sweet, and I know it has to be hard on him.

I went online and found a government website that has all kinds of aerial photos from different points in time. You can zoom in and find your own house/farm/whatever. I found his childhood farm from back when it last had all of the buildings on it, and printed it off. I then traced it onto cloth, learned how to embroider, and stitched his farm in perfect scale. I framed it, and a photo of the farm from the same site. I'm going to give it to him tonight - he's not a super effusive man with his emotions, but I hope he'll like it.

Angie, What is that website? I have some historical digging I would like to do as well.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie